PDA

View Full Version : ABS STC & Engine Check Light Problems

laughjimbo
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 19:26
Just thought that i would people know that i have been having loads of problems over the past few months with my 2000 T5 with the message ABS Service Required and STC Service Required messages. I would also get an Engine Check Light coming up on the dash. When I had all of this the engine would also behave strangely, it would be really jerky when you came off the throttle and when you just strating pressing it. Sometimes it would clear itself for about 20 minutes and then come back again. I tried cleaning all of the ABS sensors on the wheel hubs but this made no real difference.
So today i decided to have a look at the ABS ECU a i have read that there are problems with the connections for the cable pins to the PCB, the soldered joints dry up because of heat build up from the engine bay. I had read about this on the phase 1's but not phase 2's.
Anyway they were all dry so i resoldered them today and put is all back together and hey presto!!! No more engine check lights or ABS, STC. I also checked the cruise control because mine would not work if i had any of the above fault lights on. I have driven about 70 - 80 miles today around town and motorways and it still seems to be ok. Also checked the operation of the ABS and STC and all seems well.
Anyway sorry for the long story but i thought that i would let other people know that it is quite easy to fix yourself and save yourself loads of money, just as long as you can use a soldering iron. I do still need to get hold of a code reader so that i can clear all the previous fault codes. My local stealer charges too much in my opinion, £85+VAT.

Jamie

cornclose
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 21:35
Well done!

thebadger
Thursday 10th September 2009, 11:55
The codes could be cleared by a local indy in about 5 mins.

May be worth a look about.