PDA

View Full Version : Knackered Engine ?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:35
I am not liking the sounds coming from the old bus today, it started as a tappety noise but now im not sure,

http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/?action=view&current=V070909_1910.flv

850 t5 vs 600cc
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:47
I'm no expert on engines but this does not sound very good. I'll ask my brother what he thinks it might be and i'll get back to you.

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:49
Cheers dave :sorry:

Tomcat
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:52
Sounds too light a tapping to be anything from the bottom end, maybe a stuck lifter??..

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:54
Its deffo near the top TC, its got louder as the day has went on :grumpy:

Now im scared to drive or even start it, an engine bill is the last thing i need at the minute :(

Jimmie
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:11
Sounds a bit like my one use to ,happened all off a sudden and ended costing a fortune to repair and it wasn't just the tappets.

orse
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:11
Just to offer an opinion.Faulty lifter is definately a stronger possible,but worn out cam/s may also be.Have had a few vauxhall 8valve engines sound similar with the cam gone.Can you check or have the oil pressure checked to rule out faulty oil pump?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:14
Is the oil pressure easy to check ?

Mrs_PA
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:17
Sounds a dry sound - could it be a blocked oilway?

hd9584
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:18
Does sound like something cam related, is there oil in the top of the engine?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:18
Right so come on gents and Lady ;) how do i check for a blocked oil line and where are they?

orse
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:19
You need an oil pressure gauge.You can then unscrew the oil pressure switch on the car and screw in the external gauge start the car and read the pressure.Then compare with technical data of some description what it should be and what it is.

orse
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:22
Bit of a rough way but start the car up with oil filler cap of see if you have oil there.Dont stand to close and have rag ready to cover hole or filler cap to hand.A helper to start and stop the car would be good

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:25
Seems to be mate, cleaned the underside of the oil filler cap and started the engine, plenty oil under there :confused:

Does sound like something cam related, is there oil in the top of the engine?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:28
Just done this, theres not much light outside my house and the torch battery is flat :( so i cant really see but ive just done the above, its not erupting out the top but its coating the underside of the filler cap when its replaced and started :confused:

Bit of a rough way but start the car up with oil filler cap of see if you have oil there.Dont stand to close and have rag ready to cover hole or filler cap to hand.A helper to start and stop the car would be good

Mrs_PA
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:30
Also, get a big-ass screwdriver, place the metal end on one side of the engine when running, put your ear to the handle, then repeat at the other end of the engine. If the end furthest away from the oil pump is loudest, that could be your problem.

But first, please tell me you checked the obvious such as oil levels and the presence of water in the oil. When was the last oil change?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:33
Last oil change was last week with Castrol GTX 10w 40 and a genuine filter.

Ive done the screwdriver thingy, im none the wiser, sorry :sorry:

t5 pete
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:36
I think the best thing to do is take the head off for inspection as its certainly coming from inside so there nothing your going to be able to do unless you take it appart have a look in my gallery at what the head looks like when striped appart.

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:40
What do i have to do and look out for to take the head off, any special tools etc etc ?

Any volunteers, lol, no seriously though any volunteers :confused:

Mrs_PA
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:42
Other than inspecting your oil in the daylight, I'm out of rough-and-ready ideas, so it's either Pete's suggestion or your local garage.

t5_carl
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:52
thats no way bottom end, ive heard the sound many a time and that aint it, I would bet on a sticky.nackard tappet, if u were closer i would happily help ya,screw driver trick wont really work as the sound will bounce off the cam cover, try it on the bottom end though see if it does sound from the bottom, but im sure it aint

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:55
Its deffo the top carl, no way it can be the bottom end, too high up ;)

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:56
Any volunteers to give us a hand, brews and butties are included :D

Also what would i need to buy, kits wise before starting ?

Mrs_PA
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 11:53
Any news, Cameron?

cameron
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:13
A good engine flush and new filter plus new oil ( Silkoline Pro 4 Fully Synthetic @ £13 a ltr ) and its sorted, must have just been some crap in the lifter to stop it working properly

All that on oil, still its cheaper than an engine

Cheers for all the help guys and gal ;) feeling the Ovlov

T5 ROB
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:31
Glad you got it sorted mate, your about due some good luck.

Jaseb77
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:51
good news mate, hope it hangs together

sen
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:58
Job's a good'n mate :smile:

Jamest5r
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 15:25
Glad you got that sorted mate:B_thumb:

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 16:02
A good engine flush and new filter plus new oil ( Silkoline Pro 4 Fully Synthetic @ £13 a ltr ) and its sorted, must have just been some crap in the lifter to stop it working properly

All that on oil, still its cheaper than an engine

Cheers for all the help guys and gal ;) feeling the Ovlov

I bet you're feeling flushed now, or the car is :banana:

Great news, and it just goes to show what a helpful bunch of peeps there are on here.

t5_carl
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 18:42
i'll unpack my bags then:D

cookie
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 20:08
Fuchs XTR titan from GSF is about 17 quid for 5 litres, when was last oil change, and did you previously use a genuine filter, as it has AFAIK a non return valve that keeps oil in head. genuine filters are only about a fiver

cragmaz
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 20:35
Phew!!!, bet your glad its ok Cam, ive had my fair share of funky noises myself, not good, A**E falling out time!!!!!!!

F.Y.I., the injectors tick quite loud too, some louder than others, my oranges were a fair bit quiter than the current blues.

Glad all is well now tho.

Just a bit off topic, but we got a great dyno day comin up in a week or so, on sunday the 20th, mixed bag of performance cars,10/12 comin so far, evo`s, scoobys, audi s3, allsorts, should be good if ya wanna pop down if ya not doin owt, be good to see ya.

craig

AndysR
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 21:10
Sounds like you did well then :) Perhaps the fresh oil cleaned out the Forte treatment and the tappet came back with vengance. I hate to say it but it will probably come back again :(