PDA

View Full Version : Expansion tank cap

ddmgti
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:05
Hello should there be a Rubber O Ring on the Cap? (Green) 1995 T5, checked mine as its loosing some coolant around cap area,thought it unusual as most caps usually have a Sealing ring of some description, also how long does it take to reach normal temperature?, at what point on Temperature Guage should cooling Fan cut in,Thanks

Johnny5
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:19
Just checked mine because i have the same problem (loosing coolant)
There is a rubber sealing ring in the cap, I have replaced my cap, but it didnt stop the leak! It appears that I have a small crack in the header tank where the threaded part joins the main part. So I guess ive got to replace mine!
Mine reaches normal temp (1/2 way up the guage) pretty quickly during normal driving. And the fan cuts in when the guage goes just above 1/2 way.
Hope this helps
J5

badger1980
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 00:04
Better safe than sorry mine give way last year around where the top pipe on tank lucky i was only round the corner from home didn't cost me much from the main dealer either

Rufe
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 01:55
yes a brand new cap is around £12 delivered if i remember right, and a bottle around £20 approx, but if you want an exact price please send me a pm/email and i can give you am exact price and also full details of how to order, if you are interested.

Simon

ddmgti
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 08:52
My cap doesn,t seem to have any type of Sealing ring? (any pics), its loosing a small amount of coolant, so new cap maybe, On a clear run to work first 5 miles or so temp guage is just above eighth approx, hit some traffic, guage goes up to just over half, move again and it goes back down fairly quickly to where it was, dont know if fans are kicking in, on other cars you can feel it " kicking in", best way to check? I may change thermostat at weekend anyway its 14 year old car with 181k miles so imagine these things are worn now Looks easy and cheap enough to do. Thanks

RollingThunder
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 12:54
I've just swapped out my header tank & cap (thanks Rufe !) purely on a preventative basis. If you want my old ones let me know - call it £10 + p&p? They were working fine, just looked a bit grubby. (I hate grubby...)

ddmgti
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 20:23
Thanks bud i,ll let you know, may visit local scrappy at weekend if weather holds, see whats there, she didn,t seem to lose any tonight, Cheers

RollingThunder
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 07:00
No worries :)

ddmgti
Saturday 12th September 2009, 16:17
Changed my thermostat today managed to do it without moving fuel rail,bit fiddly but can be done with a longish Torx bit, put a cap off a Volvo diesel on expansion tank,fingers crossed all seems ok