PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic tappets ?

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 14:47
I have one that keeps bloody ticking away at me once the engine is warm :grumpy:

Its not low on oil and ive just changed it for new Castrol GTX 10W 40.

Does anybody know an easy cure for now, or will i have to replace it / them ?

Im going to try some Forte AGAIN, it lasted about 4 months but seems a false economy to keep pumping Forte into her. Is it an easy job to replace them, im fairly competent on the outside of the engine but not sure about the inside ;)

Any suggestions guys :D

JelT5
Monday 7th September 2009, 16:28
I had one start on me a couple of weeks ago- went quiet after I used harsh language!Obviously that's not the cure, although it seems to have worked for now!
Engine flush treatment and oil change can sometimes do it but other than that its change em I'm afraid. As far as I know there are no other issues with hydraulic lifters getting 'tappy' other than being incredibly annoying.

willi
Monday 7th September 2009, 16:45
Hi Cameron, i have a noisy tappet on the Tdi that never really stops. At least the diesel drowns out the noise most of the time.
I would however like to know myself if its an easy job or not to fix.:rant:

t5lover
Monday 7th September 2009, 18:10
hello cam i had 1 of mine tapping away for months i tryed that forte stuff and differnt oils and no change at all i brought a spare new head of a mate and took all the tappets out that head and the set about pulling the head apart on my car its a easy job to do if u can get the tools to lock the cams and and the tool to pull the head down with and the tensioner your have to stick in vise to push it back in then put a small drill bit in the end to hold it back then once back in place release it, please make sure you use liquid sealent not silcone or hard sealent ok mate anything esle me or one of the nice forum members will help u mate good luck!

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:00
Right put the sound up and someone please please please please tell me this is a tappety noise :sorry:

http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/?action=view&current=V070909_1910.flv

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:29
Come on guys someone must have an idea :confused:

Tim Williams
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:49
It sounds like tappets, you will get excessive cam wear if you run it like that for a long time. When replacing them check that all the oil ways feeding them are clear.

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:51
Are they expensive to replace, an easy job ?

cbrrrob
Monday 7th September 2009, 21:57
im sure there was a head on ebay for next to nowt the other day and it was complete

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:05
Its the labour that would kill me i think, would it not be easier to replace the tappets ?

Anybody know what they cost ?

cbrrrob
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:26
take the tappets out of the other head and you have 20 for yours ! ! !

cbrrrob
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:28
i did that with my old 16v xc vauxhall lump

cameron
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:29
Yeah but is it an amatuer job, im pretty handy with tools and stuff, but anything that is going to kill my car if done wrongly is a bit un-nerving for me :doh:

Jimmie
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:32
Sometimes you dont know what it is untill you strip it and by that time you are commited like i was.
Get personal advise.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:45
Sometimes you dont know what it is untill you strip it and by that time you are commited like i was.
Get personal advise.

I agree, it sounds like tappets, and you really do need to get it sorted out quickly, the longer you leave it the more damage it will do.

What you need is a member of the club who's close to you with the knowledge and the time to give you a hand to do it. I would see if there's a top end on eBag and see if you can strip it down, see how it all works then do the reverse with yours. But I would see if anyone can help you before you take it on.

Or it's off to the garage.

Sorry to be a bit of a wet rag.

t5 pete
Monday 7th September 2009, 22:46
Its certainley not a amature job there is alot involved you will need to make tools to hold the cams in place both manifolds needs to be tacken off new timing belt and other things the last head gasket set i bought was around £50 which isnt bad.

badger1980
Monday 7th September 2009, 23:33
Alls i can say is good luck ive never done it on a volvo but had to do it on my 6r4 after it let go mid stage all the best.

RollingThunder
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:00
As mentioned ^^^ it'll be down to oily gunge building up inside the tappet oil galleries. Using Forte will clean out the lighter contamination, but will leave the tough residue behind. Best bet is to either replace with new, or remove and clean thoroughly (soak in paraffin/diesel then stick in dishwasher :) ).

The best prevention is to use good quality oils - ideally fully synthetic, as this does not break down as easily as the mineral stuff.

As an aside, ticking tappets on startup are deemed normal by Volvo - the owners manual says it can last for upto 15 minutes...

cameron
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 13:11
Cheers buddy :D

No need now though, a flush and filter plus new oil ( Silkoline Pro 4 Fully Synthetic @ £13 a ltr :grumpy: ) and its sorted, must have just been some crap in the lifter to stop it working properly :doh:

All that on oil, still its cheaper than an engine :B_thumb:

cheers for all the help guys, feeling the ovlov :hug:

Alan M
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 14:01
If you do decide to change them use genuine items off Rufe as they are cheaper than pattern items and will last a lot longer.