PDA

View Full Version : Strange Movement when braking

wright_t5
Sunday 6th September 2009, 20:29
Hi,

I have a new to me V70

If you are travelling along at say 70 MPH then just touch the brakes... the front of the car wants to go to the right..... then when you let off it goes straight again...

it's not the brakes, I have had them checked on a brake roller, they are working fine...

Any Clues?

v70torslanda
Sunday 6th September 2009, 20:50
My gut reaction is if there's nothing wrong with the brakes then have a look for excessive deflection in the front wishbone bushes. Check for a black sludge like hardened CV grease around the front bush, a good indication that the hydraulic bush has burst and all the oil has leaked out.If you find this on one side that will go some way to explaining the odd handling.

The solution is one of two possibilities, new standard wishbones or fit powerflex bushes to the existing ones.

If it's not wishbones then check the ball joints and steering rack inner tie rods before moving on to the rear suspension. No one's jacked it up at the rear recently? Like new tyres or wheel balancing, have you?

luv'n'stuff

J

Flatout Phil
Sunday 6th September 2009, 21:53
Tyre pressures? Some cheap skate may have repadded one side and not the other - although that should show on the brake test. Humour me, check all your tyre pressures.

Of course in an 850 with standard brakes, any unusual movement felt when applying the brakes hard may be unexpected decelleration. Mmm. Must get an AP set - as I keep on saying : - )

phil_woods
Sunday 6th September 2009, 22:50
My old v70r used to pull to the left on braking. As said above it was the wishbone bushes. Once replaced it was transformed!

wright_t5
Monday 7th September 2009, 11:54
Umm, yes, I was kinda thinking that it was maybe bushes... I have checked but maybe I need to chaeck harder... I tried replacing the engine mount but powerflex have the wrong listing, or maybe they dont do it as mine is square and they sent me a round one!!!

I presume they have the wishbone ones ok... it's a very funny feeling when the car lurches to the right.... then back again...

As for tyre pressures etc... I have had four new tyes fitted recently, and the car still moves around, at first I thought it was the tyres maybe....

The car has not been looked after... ho hum... ex-police car... they are ones to stay away from for suture reference, even though you get em cheap..

With time it is coming back to being a proper volvo...

Thanks for the replies and those that looked.

RobbieH
Monday 7th September 2009, 13:08
Umm, yes, I was kinda thinking that it was maybe bushes... I have checked but maybe I need to chaeck harder... I tried replacing the engine mount but powerflex have the wrong listing, or maybe they dont do it as mine is square and they sent me a round one!!!

I presume they have the wishbone ones ok... it's a very funny feeling when the car lurches to the right.... then back again...

As for tyre pressures etc... I have had four new tyes fitted recently, and the car still moves around, at first I thought it was the tyres maybe....

The car has not been looked after... ho hum... ex-police car... they are ones to stay away from for suture reference, even though you get em cheap..

With time it is coming back to being a proper volvo...

Thanks for the replies and those that looked.

If it's ex-plod yer bushes will more than likely be knackered. My D5 is not ex-plod but even after "only" 65k miles the front bushes were knackered as V70T knows too well as he saw the state they were in. Mine also wandered during driving and braking but new bushes solved that (and I put up with 20k miles of that from when I bought it with 47k on the clock).

On the top mount front, is yours a D5 or other version (T5)? Can't speak for the latter, but my D5 had it's top bush changed under warranty and now has the new square bush version which, apparently, is a better design than the old round one. There is no after market bushes available for this version. If it needs or you desire to change, then you can either get a new square one from Volvo (PM Rufe for a deal) or find an older, round mount and rebush that with a Powerflex or Supaflex variety.

wright_t5
Monday 7th September 2009, 13:48
Good call... will do as you suggest.. pm Rufe

Cheers..