PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 Buying Advice

JimmyBurnWorld
Saturday 5th September 2009, 09:26
Hi all,

First post, hoping to join the T5 club.

I have an opportunity to spend upto £4K on a high performance estate which will comfortably munch motorway miles, and be reliable. The V70 seems to tick all those boxes in T5 guise. However, I could do with some buying advice.

I have been looking at ex-police V70's which seem to give great value for money. However, will a 150k+ ex-traffic car give me the reliability to do 30k miles over the next year? What will I be fixing on those 30k miles? How much will it REALLY cost me.

Away from ex-police or not, what should I be looking for when buying a T5. Is mileage a problem with these cars?

Also, what tuning options to I have that will maintain driveability and reliability should I fancy a fettle. I obviously don't want 350bhp of peaky torque steer that will see off the clutch and gearbox and cost me a fortune in tyres, however it's nice to know what I can do to gently warm the engine bay:dgrin:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 5th September 2009, 10:08
Hi all,

First post, hoping to join the T5 club.

I have an opportunity to spend upto £4K on a high performance estate which will comfortably munch motorway miles, and be reliable. The V70 seems to tick all those boxes in T5 guise. However, I could do with some buying advice.

I have been looking at ex-police V70's which seem to give great value for money. However, will a 150k+ ex-traffic car give me the reliability to do 30k miles over the next year? What will I be fixing on those 30k miles? How much will it REALLY cost me.

Away from ex-police or not, what should I be looking for when buying a T5. Is mileage a problem with these cars?

Also, what tuning options to I have that will maintain driveability and reliability should I fancy a fettle. I obviously don't want 350bhp of peaky torque steer that will see off the clutch and gearbox and cost me a fortune in tyres, however it's nice to know what I can do to gently warm the engine bay:dgrin:

Any advice would be appreciated.

With £4k, I would (as anyone else here will know) buy a REALLY NICE sub 100k manual 850R or T5R (rare, but worth the wait) - should do it for a good deal less than £4k and get the front brakes upgraded. Apart from the usual issues (at this price should have total history, recent cambelt no significant damage or faults), should serve you very well indeed and be a lovely long-term own.

But you could buy a V70 T5 too - each to their own.

philt6
Saturday 5th September 2009, 10:36
Welcome
You dont say where your from.
Im on my second ex-plod V70 T5 both bought with over 100k on and from the same dealer absolutly no problem with eithier of them.
Comfort is great plaenty of room for the dogs and all the power you want

Jimmie
Saturday 5th September 2009, 10:48
Most of the guys/gals on here will disagree with me but buy the youngest motor you can with your funds T5 or R.
You could also buy an "Audi".:saythat:

JimmyBurnWorld
Saturday 5th September 2009, 12:00
Welcome
You dont say where your from.
Im on my second ex-plod V70 T5 both bought with over 100k on and from the same dealer absolutly no problem with eithier of them.
Comfort is great plaenty of room for the dogs and all the power you want

Just added some more info on the Control Panel. I see there's lots of ex police dealers around the cheshire/manchester/yorkshire belt, any more local to the w.midlands?

RobbieH
Saturday 5th September 2009, 12:08
Have a look here http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=7

SirD is alsoknown as loadsamiles on this forum.

HTH
R

philt6
Saturday 5th September 2009, 12:21
Just added some more info on the Control Panel. I see there's lots of ex police dealers around the cheshire/manchester/yorkshire belt, any more local to the w.midlands?

http://www.expolicecarcentre.com/

This is the one i use excellent service and cars neveer had a problem with them.

Its in Dudley

cornclose
Saturday 5th September 2009, 18:45
SirD is also known as loadsamiles on this forum.

Well b*gger me I didn't know that...

v70torslanda
Sunday 6th September 2009, 21:07
IMHO the things that make a Volvo V70 are all missing from ex-plodsters.

Foglights, winter pack, leather, roof rails, climate, HU-inbuilt stereo are all very much OFF the spec sheet.

OK, you get the 250bhp and the dog guard, big brakes and Nivomats. Along with 16 inch wheels and loads of holes in the roof.

Save up, get a real one :)

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, it wasn't meant to be.

OTOH maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. My D5 is going to have cost over 20k by the time I've finished paying for it!

OMG! What was I thinking?

J

lance
Sunday 6th September 2009, 21:36
If you know any plod ask them if they would buy one many wouldnt, some are good but it can be a lottery and spec is usually poor.

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 7th September 2009, 06:19
IMHO the things that make a Volvo V70 are all missing from ex-plodsters.

Foglights, winter pack, leather, roof rails, climate, HU-inbuilt stereo are all very much OFF the spec sheet.

OK, you get the 250bhp and the dog guard, big brakes and Nivomats. Along with 16 inch wheels and loads of holes in the roof.

Save up, get a real one :)

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, it wasn't meant to be.

J

Thanks for the reality check. It's a fair point well made, I am after all going to be seeing the better part of 30k miles per year so I may as well have some of the comforts. Plus winter pack sounds nice for a 5am start on a frosty morning!

Just a side point on equipment, are HID headlamps a standard item? I haven't seen them mentioned in classifieds, and I haven't seen them as options on parkers buying guide.

cornclose
Monday 7th September 2009, 09:52
HIDs are not standard on most V70's. You might get them from the factory on 2005+ (facelift) models of a certain spec, but before that they will have been fitted as aftermarket upgrades, which are technically illegal incidently...

lance
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 14:36
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/1233701.htm

thebadger
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 15:36
HIDs are not standard on most V70's. You might get them from the factory on 2005+ (facelift) models of a certain spec, but before that they will have been fitted as aftermarket upgrades, which are technically illegal incidently...

IIRC Vospa state that HIDs are only illegal if the car they are fitted to has no self cleaning headlights.

Tho TBH the rules on them are mega fuzzy as most car producers now fit them as standard.

cornclose
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 15:50
IIRC Vospa state that HIDs are only illegal if the car they are fitted to has no self cleaning headlights.

Tho TBH the rules on them are mega fuzzy as most car producers now fit them as standard.

...and the car also has to have a 'self levelling system'. This applies to the lights themselves although it is grey and may infer that self levelling suspension is acceptable.

But it goes on to say that any after market lighting system should be 'type approved' and that you cannot 'type approve' the HID retro-fit kits, but only complete, sealed headlight units with the HID's self contained.

So very fuzzy and grey indeed, but in a court (if it ever came to that) I'm sure it would be ruled that if they're not type approved, they're not legal. If they're not legal, in the eyes of the 'law' the car probably isn't road worthy and any insurance company would have a field day rejecting claims. Not worth it IMO.

It's worth mentioning that they're only 'illegal' if they're used on a public road. You'd be ok on a track or rally etc. Also, from what I can gather, it's only illegal to use them (on a public road) and quite legal to sell the kits, even if they can't be used legally for road.

Unless things have changed significantly in the last 6 months or so...

dave stew
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 16:23
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/1233701.htm

Looks identical to mine, aside from the wheels. Is that Woolaton Park in the background from the second pic?

Mrs_PA
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 16:41
After our experience with Christine, I wouldn't touch a V70 P2 with a very long barge pole, but I know others haven't had the same problems. The V70 P2 just feels too sedate for me. I'd settle for anything pre-Ford; an 850 T5R/V70 P1 T5R would be my ideal car. I've got the 850 T5, just need the 'R'!

JimmyBurnWorld
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 17:37
Tempting Lance, very tempting. However.... I have been tempted by another. Another swede has come onto my radar as a possible, in the guise of a S**b 9-5 Aero. Same power (as standard! More expensive to fettle thanks to Trionic), FWD, estate and a bit more kit as standard. What do I do guys?

lance
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 18:04
Tempting Lance, very tempting. However.... I have been tempted by another. Another swede has come onto my radar as a possible, in the guise of a S**b 9-5 Aero. Same power (as standard! More expensive to fettle thanks to Trionic), FWD, estate and a bit more kit as standard. What do I do guys?

Mega Torque steer as standard, try mine it has all the equipment you need and is a much better drive than a saab 9-5 aero!

lance
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 18:05
Looks identical to mine, aside from the wheels. Is that Woolaton Park in the background from the second pic?

No its my house,

not unfortunatly its Colwick Hall

cornclose
Tuesday 8th September 2009, 21:12
I can comment on the Saab as I have driven a few and also owned a 9000 turbo for three years. Very capable cars, make no mistake. My 9000 was bloody quick, even though 'only' 200bhp. The torque and tractability made it such an enjoyable car to drive on the open road that IMO it is more capable than the T5. And overtaking in the 9000 turbo would leave my T5 for dead, even though mine is remapped to close to 300bhp (probably...).

I will be getting a 9000 again (as well as keeping the T5), just as soon as I can find a mint one.

The 9-5 is the later replacement of the 9000, and although some say it's just a vauxhall (like some say the phase 2 V70 is a ford) they still use the same range of engines.

Downsides? Yes, torque steer makes the t5 look like a 1.1 fiesta. The 9-5 also has a few week points too, just like the V70 does, can't remember what they are though so do your research. The older 9000 are rock solid though, and well capable of intergalactic mileages, just like most volvos.

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 08:15
thanks cornclose. A very balanced view. I shall be researching and deciding hard over the next couple of weeks. At the moment I have one V70 day, then one 9-5 day!

dave stew
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 10:13
I can comment on the Saab as I have driven a few and also owned a 9000 turbo for three years. Very capable cars, make no mistake. My 9000 was bloody quick, even though 'only' 200bhp. The torque and tractability made it such an enjoyable car to drive on the open road that IMO it is more capable than the T5. And overtaking in the 9000 turbo would leave my T5 for dead, even though mine is remapped to close to 300bhp (probably...).

I will be getting a 9000 again (as well as keeping the T5), just as soon as I can find a mint one.

The 9-5 is the later replacement of the 9000, and although some say it's just a vauxhall (like some say the phase 2 V70 is a ford) they still use the same range of engines.

Downsides? Yes, torque steer makes the t5 look like a 1.1 fiesta. The 9-5 also has a few week points too, just like the V70 does, can't remember what they are though so do your research. The older 9000 are rock solid though, and well capable of intergalactic mileages, just like most volvos.

I have been looking for a 'cheap' second car and am becoming drawn to Saabs as good value £perBHP and Swedish build. Clocked this on PH
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1233142.htm

What do you think? I'd prefer a black one (bit more like the 'classic 900 turbo') and I reckon a HOT with some money spent on it would be sufficiently rapid yet understated. I have this theory about flash cars in business - turn up in an an 'arrogant wagon' (generally an X5 or similar) and your customers think that you are both a t*sser and charging too much. A 'classless' car such as a Volvo estate, Saab or indeed Golf GTi (discuss) fits the bill a lot better and doesn't scream 'rep mobile'.

But I digress as usual.:redface:

cornclose
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 11:57
All I can say is that as with Volvo's, Saab's give a lot of car for the money, and it's generally quality car you're getting.

I'm with you on this too Dave, no 'Arrogant Wagon' for me.

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 12:43
Hear Hear
Exactly the same situation I'm in. Don't want customer's and friends thinking I'm 'One Of them' (read Audi/BMW/Merc drivers), but want a bit of quality, power and load lugging. Having a bit of a V70 day today though, company next door has 9-5's, as does a customer of mine. Plus my boss used to have one so I'll have to put up with 'Oh I used to have one of them'!

cornclose
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 13:02
Have you been to view any V70's or 9-5's yet ?

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 10th September 2009, 12:10
Not yet no. I've been up to my proverbials in work (final few critical weeks of a year long project), early starts, late nights, so I haven't had a chance really. Also I want to organise finances before I go looking, I don't want to go look at a car which turns out to be perfect, barter on a perfect price, and not have the wedge to do the deal! Although I am going to go have a look at an ex-plod T5 on the weekend. Results of veiwing to follow!

On the ex-plod route, I have been contemplating. In a previous job as a mobile auto-electrician, I became quite good at removing/refitting interiors etc. The money I save on an ex-plod could go towards the all important heated leather interior and still leave me in pocket enough to offset a bit of suspension remedial work. I was thinking along the lines of an interior from a breakers, or even buying another higher spec/better equipped, but slower V70 and doing a bit of a swap before selling the 2nd v70 on.

With that in mind any ideas on a doner? Obviously older is cheaper, but I want to be able to do a straight swap. Thoughts? Comments? Scorn?

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 12:24
Not yet no. I've been up to my proverbials in work (final few critical weeks of a year long project), early starts, late nights, so I haven't had a chance really. Also I want to organise finances before I go looking, I don't want to go look at a car which turns out to be perfect, barter on a perfect price, and not have the wedge to do the deal! Although I am going to go have a look at an ex-plod T5 on the weekend. Results of veiwing to follow!

On the ex-plod route, I have been contemplating. In a previous job as a mobile auto-electrician, I became quite good at removing/refitting interiors etc. The money I save on an ex-plod could go towards the all important heated leather interior and still leave me in pocket enough to offset a bit of suspension remedial work. I was thinking along the lines of an interior from a breakers, or even buying another higher spec/better equipped, but slower V70 and doing a bit of a swap before selling the 2nd v70 on.

With that in mind any ideas on a doner? Obviously older is cheaper, but I want to be able to do a straight swap. Thoughts? Comments? Scorn?
A chicken one with salad with chilli sauce for me. Sorry.

Anyway - on the plod front - my reservation with an ex-cop car is that they will have a had a hard life. Watched a TV show last night and winced as the traffic guys were caning a laden V70 T5 over speed ramps on a pursuit.

As cars are now so cheap (especially powerful petrol engined ones that are in high road tax brackets) I'd get a private one. That's my opinion for what it's worth. Incidently, my 150,000 mile 2002 T5 is still rattle free and everything works on it. I run it on expensive synthetic oil, have changed all the fluids (inc power steering and transmission oils), all belts, clutch, brake pads, dampers, front suspension bushes and had the aircon regassed a couple of times. It still drives superbly. Recommended.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 10th September 2009, 12:54
What's this Geartronic lark like anyway? I've always been a manual person myself, and always scoffed at the idea of some computer deciding when to shift for me (ironic as I'm a systems & automation engineer!!). Would it drive me mad, or is it worth a punt?

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 13:38
There have been a few threads about auto vs manual and most people stay in their respective camps and won't budge.

I suppose it's personal preference. I have always owned manuals but I bought an Audi A6and specifically went for an auto for a change. I am back in a manual as (to me at least, watch the auto boys fly off on one) the effort to push a hydraulic clutch in and out really isn't a big deal and the added control and actual 'feel' of driving is superior, IMO.

The 'Geartronic' isn't unknown to have problems either. The 300BHP V70R has the power detuned when it drives the slushbox version. 'Nuff said.

I await the usual onslaught from the two pedal brigade, especially one guy with a C70who started his retort with a condescending "Yawn" and called me a chav for wanting to actually change gear myself!

Oh - one last thing - finding a T5 with a manual box isn't that easy, either.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 10th September 2009, 13:57
I await the usual onslaught from the two pedal brigade, especially one guy with a C70who started his retort with a condescending "Yawn" and called me a chav for wanting to actually change gear myself!

Oh - one last thing - finding a T5 with a manual box isn't that easy, either.

Because knowing how to drive properly and getting a FULL uk license instead of an auto only is Chavvy......... Hmm.

Yes, finding a Manual T5 is a bit tricky hence the possible compromise and therefore the question. Plus I do a lot of miles, and having borrowed my boss's A6 tiptronic, I didn't find it too bad.

lance
Thursday 10th September 2009, 14:16

You should come and try once you have tested a 9-5 aero and an ex plod, I would be suprissed then if you didnt buy mine!

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 10th September 2009, 16:00
It's going to be a couple of weeks before I've sorted through my finances, but if it's still for sale I'll pop over for a look. Got a customer in Derby that I need to visit at some point, so I might be able to get over to you then.

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 16:38
Lance's car is very similar to mine but with a ECU upgrade, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 20:46
Because knowing how to drive properly and getting a FULL uk license instead of an auto only is Chavvy......... Hmm.

Yes, finding a Manual T5 is a bit tricky hence the possible compromise and therefore the question. Plus I do a lot of miles, and having borrowed my boss's A6 tiptronic, I didn't find it too bad.

As I had an A6 Quattro with Tiptronic, I am in a good position to comment. My views on the auto vs manual are here (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21863) (7th post) and they havn't changed. If anything, mine has got better after software updates and two fluid changes with genuine Volvo oil.

I don't hate manuals (like dave hates autos :ices_rofl), they're great. But I love my geartronic too. A standard auto I wouldn't have though - too limiting.

The Volvo system is every bit as good as Audi's in my opinion, but there are differences in how they work. In the Audi, the gear change is very smooth, seamless and actually rather uninvolving to my liking. The time to change between the gears is longer than the Volvo system too, but when you flick the stick on the Audi it begins to change quicker than the Volvo.

The Volvo system changes between gears very quickly (at least on mine it does) but it's a little longer to respond to the initial shift up or down command. As the change itself is also not as smooth as the Audi system, you can feel it more, and in my mind makes it more manual like.

I have heard others who've had geartronics moan like fack about them, so maybe there are good and bad ones. Personally I think I have a good one.

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 20:50
I don't hate them, I just find them a bit, well, slurry up and down the gears.

Anyway, I'm waiting here for an iPhone software update and refuse to be sucked in!!

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:09
:nono:...and you're considering a Jaaaaag with an auto box? The mind boggles...:B_thumb:

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:18
I know, I'll look a reet puff in one of those!

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:19
My advice then? Get an Audi. One with a tiptronic box...

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:30
I've had one. A 1999 A6 that did 45k in 14 months. It also had the optional Audi Sport steering wheel too to shift gears. Went back to a shift stick after that.

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:35
Yeah, the Volvo system is my favourite.

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:46
I reckon you're on a backhander from Volvo Transmissions AB!

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:50
No they're made by Aisin (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions?wasRedirected=true), the largest automatic transmission manufacturer in the world, so they're actually Japanese.

dave stew
Thursday 10th September 2009, 21:59
I could see you in a Lexus!

cornclose
Thursday 10th September 2009, 22:01
Definately NOT. I have first hand experience of them. Too £££££ish. And anyway, most people relate them to Alan Partridge.

cornclose
Monday 14th September 2009, 09:35
...and the car also has to have a 'self levelling system'. This applies to the lights themselves although it is grey and may infer that self levelling suspension is acceptable.

But it goes on to say that any after market lighting system should be 'type approved' and that you cannot 'type approve' the HID retro-fit kits, but only complete, sealed headlight units with the HID's self contained.

So very fuzzy and grey indeed, but in a court (if it ever came to that) I'm sure it would be ruled that if they're not type approved, they're not legal. If they're not legal, in the eyes of the 'law' the car probably isn't road worthy and any insurance company would have a field day rejecting claims. Not worth it IMO.

It's worth mentioning that they're only 'illegal' if they're used on a public road. You'd be ok on a track or rally etc. Also, from what I can gather, it's only illegal to use them (on a public road) and quite legal to sell the kits, even if they can't be used legally for road.

Unless things have changed significantly in the last 6 months or so...

Actually upon re-reading the 'fact sheet' from the Department of Transport, some of what I stated is not quite correct, but they overriding result is the same; They're not legal. Here (http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps) is the fact sheet.