PDA

View Full Version : Big Day Out

Matt30462
Friday 3rd June 2005, 17:32
Ok boys and girls, much hard work and perspiration trying to get you all a day out. Some very nice people have helped me and we have come up with a nice trip to the Volvo Training Centre in Daventry. I have copied the email to this post so you can all take a look at what the Volvo Boffins have suggested we do on our awayday. Now as you will see, there is no date set as yet because the interest in such a meet is unknown, plus we will of course have to "fit in" with Volvo to a great extent ( they do after all have paying customers). Can the administrators set up a list that at the moment can include those that would like to attend whatever the date. We can then refine it when more details are known. EMAIL BELOW.

Hi Matthew

Much will depend on whether you come during the week or at a weekend. If it was a weekend we would have to open up the premises especially and may have to arrange for the caterers to come in. This will obviously have a cost attached, although we would try to minimise the cost to you as much as possible. It will be harder to get our 'technical experts' at weekends, as this would be in their own time, whereas during the week they are likely to be there anyway. Provided we have enough notice we can try and arrange for them to participate in a Q&A, possibly at 6pm when they close the helpline, but again that depends on who is available/timings etc.

From the Training Centre point of view, during the week would be best and a day when they are not running any training courses even better. Perhaps you could arrange for your group to arrive around 2-3pm, have tea/coffee in the showroom, a short tour of the workshop and introduction from the training manager: rundown on courses available for dealers, demonstration of the diagnostic system VIDA, show around the cut away car and airbag demo, statistics on the T5 engine and its subsequent refinement (I would try and get our product manager for this), and anything else we agree would be relevant. Time to admire each others' cars, then on to Q&A with technical.

This is purely a suggestion and can be adapted as you see fit.

Once you have gauged the interest from your group, let me know a rough idea of when you would like to come and I will check with the training centre for dates when they could fit you in. The more notice you can give us the better.

Have a good weekend
Kind regards
Lesley

PS feel free to make suggestions for the itinery.

Andrew
Friday 3rd June 2005, 17:34
If you can do a weekend and the moderators agree can I suggest a great day for this would be August 20th ? Why? Cos Volvo Forums is 1 year old that day so we could make a weekend of it - perhaps a meal in the evening / hotel combo too :)

If not then perhaps the Friday 19th of August.

Just a suggestion.

Nice one Matt!
-------------------------------------------------------------
The List so far:

1. Matt30462
2. Andrew
3. Kent Canary
4: ChrisKay
5. Justin - deffinate YES :)
6. Tomcat
7. Siamblue
8. DaveS70R
9. Mulletboy2
10. Splatt
11. Wobbly Dave
12. MattV70
12.9 VikingT5
14 - Moppy
15 - Waxworks
16 - Gibbo
17 - Kent Canary
18 - MisterPeck
19 - JudgeNinja
20 - MartinR
21 - Redbrick
22 - RS_Andy

Kent Canary
Friday 3rd June 2005, 17:38
Thats brilliant Matt, I think they'll be alot of interest in this. I really like the idea of the tour during the week, should be good.

Matt30462
Friday 3rd June 2005, 17:44
Personally, I am going to save up one of my days holiday forr midweek, after all, we are Volvo T5 Forums and the chance to talk through the development of the engine seems to good to turn down.

chriskay
Friday 3rd June 2005, 19:56
Well done, Matt; I can make a weekday.
Cheers Chris.

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 20:03
Matt, superb work, thankyou for your efforts.

I think if people add thier names to this thread it will be easier, keeps it all together. I personally would think a weekend would be better for numbers, but ill go with the flow ;)

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 20:12
Just to add to that, i could easily make the midweek event ;)

I am 100% go for it, my names down :)

Andrew
Friday 3rd June 2005, 20:30
Justin are you sure ? do you want to think about it for a while ? :)

Tomcat
Friday 3rd June 2005, 20:35
I'm up for it mid week!, sounds to good to miss.

siamblue
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:30
Midweek here too,Please Please make it after the 2nd September :remybussi

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:32
Let me see, erm, YES !

DaveS60D5
Friday 3rd June 2005, 22:21
What a corking idea! Well done and top marks for your effort Matt, thank you!

I'm a definite YES too midweek or otherwise! Let me know a date that suits everyone ASAP so I can book it off! :)

mulletboy2
Friday 3rd June 2005, 23:24
I'll be in, providing I can get the day off if it's midweek, and I don't have any other events organised if it's on a weekend. Will keep an eye out for an agreed date and let you know. Nice work btw! :)

splatt
Friday 3rd June 2005, 23:27
Me...absolutely...if I can get the time off work....

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 23:30
Fantastic Matt! You are a diamond geeza - but we already knew this. You can count me in. I am a geek at heart and the oppotunity such as this to quiz the boffins is too hard to resist. VOLVO heaven!!

Big clap from me! hip hoorah etc etc!

Matt30462
Saturday 4th June 2005, 03:55
At the moment, I am definately on the side of midweek, I think there is more on offer if we go that way. This dosn't mean a weekend is counted out, it just seems better to me at the moment. I quite like the idea of September, that gives Volvo and us some time to prepare. Of course the final decision has to be down to Volvo but if we let this run until say..........KTTP 2 that should be a good time to ascertain numbers. I expect no matter what day is decided upon.......someone is going to be disappointed. Maybe if we do go for a weekend, those that can't make it may be able to do another date.

Eat your hearts out Wallace and Grommit. Volvo T5 Forums is having a bigger day out.

Justin
Saturday 4th June 2005, 10:10
lol @ matt

MattV70
Saturday 4th June 2005, 11:50
You can count me in for this too! I don't mind what day it is.

Vikingxl
Saturday 4th June 2005, 12:15
I am intrested in going but am in the middle of changing jobs let me know when you have a date and i will see if i can make it.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 4th June 2005, 13:36
Steve & i will be there for definate - midweek or weekend. Midweek seems the best option from the email tho.

Hats off to you Sir and thank you for getting this underway!!

x

gibbo
Saturday 4th June 2005, 17:14
I'm in. Be rude not to as i can see the place from my house LOL

Gibbo

Kent Canary
Saturday 4th June 2005, 18:05
I think midweek is the best, most people seem able to commit and its the best packaged day Volvo can offer.

misterpeck
Monday 6th June 2005, 10:05
Yes please i'll have some of that. Midweek sounds better, so long as I can get the night off work.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 01:32
As always I'll always participate in VT days out....
Add me to the list. Any day is good for me as I can take almost any day off, (as long as we get enough warning).....

Vikingxl
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 10:01
Have we got a date yet as i have changed jobs now and they want to know about any holidays i need ,what better reason to take a day off!!!

Nice to meet you at the weekend as well matt.

Andrew
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 10:03
Have we got a date yet as i have changed jobs now and they want to know about any holidays i need ,what better reason to take a day off!!!

Nice to meet you at the weekend as well matt.

We're waiting for Matt and he seems to have vanished again. Wobbly - you have his number can you give him a buzz. I could do with knowing when this is going to be too.

Andrew.

Martinr
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 11:39
Must have missed this thread due to holidays.

I would be interested either midweek or weekend.

If midweek I will need to re-arrange work to suit so earliest possible notice of date would be preferable.

Well done in arranging this.

Matt30462
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 18:02
Yes! My appologies, I have gone a little quiet. Here is a copy of the last email received from Volvo in relation to this visit.

Hi Matthew
Looking good, as you say. Can I just stress that this is our Training Centre, not Technical Centre as you say on the website. I don't want to raise expectations.
Will ask for dates in September and get back to you.
Regards
Lesley

David - can you let me know any suitable dates in September when this visit could take place, thanks

Lesley Milne
Motivation & Events Manager
Volvo Car UK Limited

The "David" mentioned is David Baddely who is the person that apparently controls the diary. I am sure you all appreciate we have to "Fit in" with Volvo's plans on this one. As soon as I have further information I will post it and hopefully everyone can confirm.

Redbrick
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 18:12
Me to please :)

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 21:17
:worship: All Praise that Man.......and this place.....

:wave23d:
I haven't checked all of this thread, but can you post up the address of this place...(in the sticky thread if not already done)...
Also I'll be coming on so need a B&B so I'll need some cheap recommendations.....PM me if you have any as I don't want this thread hijacked ....thanks

Matt30462
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 21:35
Judge,
This is the only address I can find, however, We may of course be directed to another building or something. Certainly at this time it gives you an idea.

Prospect Way,
Royal Oak Industrial Estate,
Daventry,
Northamptonshire
NN11 5QN

rs_andy
Tuesday 14th June 2005, 22:32
Sounds good, put me down for it too please.

Matt30462
Thursday 16th June 2005, 17:45
Ok Guys 'n' Gals, I have received an email from Volvo offering a choice of 2 dates in September. Now suffice to say we don't want a "bun fight" over the preverbial "oh! that ones better for me" and "I can't possibly do that day, my cat's at the vet on that day" rubbish. I suggest Justin or another administrator puts up a list with the 2 dates and when the 21 or so that have said they would like to come have put their names alongside their choice.....the majority date takes it. I can then mail Lesley and we get booked in. Howzat!

Dates below.

Hi Matthew

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

We can offer either Friday 16th September or Friday 23rd September for your Forum's visit to our Daventry TRAINING Centre. They have no training booked on those days and so we should have available the Showroom, Workshop and some technical trainers.

Can you let me know if either of those dates is any good for your group? With it being a Friday you could always arrange for an overnight somewhere nearby and then your weekend-only people could join you the next day, but of course Daventry would not be available on the Saturday.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Lesley

Matt30462
Thursday 16th June 2005, 17:58
Bugger!!!! Just noticed there's 22 names.....mmmm..... I don't care what day so I will not vote. Don't forget, everyone is welcome, if you weren't sure before,because there was no date, you can sign up now that you have some idea when we are going. The more the merrier.

splatt
Thursday 16th June 2005, 18:00
Matt
Post a new thread with a poll as its your hard work.
We can link them as appropriate
I will do if you want??
Pat.

Matt30462
Thursday 16th June 2005, 18:02
Go ahead Splatt, gotta make the MODS earn their keep. :worship:

splatt
Thursday 16th June 2005, 18:16
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2681

There you go. post a text with your votes on numbers ..Matt and I will keep a tally!!