PDA

View Full Version : knowledge

Libra
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:11
When people/owners are talking about their 850 Volvo, they seem to either say they have an 854 or an 855. Now I guess this relates to a saloon and a estate respectively, but why are the cars not badged as this?

Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, also, but I am still new to the Volvo world.

Also is there a thread that documents the differences between a T5-R and a R

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:18
When people/owners are talking about their 850 Volvo, they seem to either say they have an 854 or an 855. Now I guess this relates to a saloon and a estate respectively, but why are the cars not badged as this?

Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, also, but I am still new to the Volvo world.

Also is there a thread that documents the differences between a T5-R and a R

The 850 was never designated as anything else. Just a code on here so everyone knows if a saloon or estate. The differences between the T5R and R are few. The R has an LSD and a permanent 250bhp as opposed to the T5R's 240bhp,30 sec overboost. Also the R has the 16T blower. There are some interior differences also,ie the seats are alcantara in the centre as opposed to the bolsters. Oh and the titan wheels in place of volans.....HTH.

Cubes
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:22
The third digit was made into a generic '0' in the early 80's when the 240's and 340' etc were around. Not sure why. Before that, you did get 145, 244, 245, 265, 345, etc.

Haven't really answered your question at all have I?!

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:23
The third digit was made into a generic '0' in the early 80's when the 240's and 340' etc were around. Not sure why. Before that, you did get 145, 244, 245, 265, 345, etc.

Haven't really answered your question at all have I?!

Tesco.........every little helps...

Libra
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:27
I thought there might be a genuine reason as to why there is a name change on the forums so members know what you are on about and is less to type than 850 saloon or estate.

Thanks for your inputs. I am kinda tempted to sell my R and maybe get an 854 of some sort as I think they look better and should be a lot cheaper to run.

Cubes
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:33
DON'T DO IT! Estates rule! Ok, so I have a coupe, but if I didn't I would have a V70!

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:35
I thought there might be a genuine reason as to why there is a name change on the forums so members know what you are on about and is less to type than 850 saloon or estate.

Thanks for your inputs. I am kinda tempted to sell my R and maybe get an 854 of some sort as I think they look better and should be a lot cheaper to run.

Can't see any reason why the saloon would be cheaper to run as they all use the same running gear with very little difference in weight. Agree that the saloon looks better though..but then.I would say that..

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:36
[QUOTE=Cubes;253781]DON'T DO IT! Estates rule! Ok.

GAY!!

Cubes
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:39
[QUOTE=Cubes;253781]DON'T DO IT! Estates rule! Ok.

GAY!!

Estates are for REAL men, such as lumberjacks who have to transport wood for making fire.

Saloons are for the 'light-fingered' who only have to transport cushions upon which to rest their weary heads after a hard day's knitting.

And that's how it is!

Cubes
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:40
Apologies to those lumberjacks who have a saloon as their 2nd car. That's acceptable.

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:42
[quote=AlanG;253784]

Estates are for REAL men, such as lumberjacks who have to transport wood for making fire.

Saloons are for the 'light-fingered' who only have to transport cushions upon which to rest their weary heads after a hard day's knitting.

And that's how it is!

Monty Python explained the lumber jack situation 40 years ago....suspendies and high heels........hmmmmmm.....not on a man though..

Cubes
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:48
[quote=Cubes;253786]

Monty Python explained the lumber jack situation 40 years ago....suspendies and high heels........hmmmmmm.....not on a man though..

This is the real truth about who and what lumberjacks are:

Click me. Go on, you know you want to... (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lumberjack)

AlanG
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 18:52
Nice one..

Johnny5
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 19:58
The 850's (855 and 854) have that designation on the fuel sticker inside the fuel filler cap , well mine does atleast! (Have to agree estate's are better) ;)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 20:06
Estates:biggrin:

Saaamon
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 20:27
[quote=AlanG;253784]

And that's how it is!

Couldn't agree more.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 20:30
Estates are with out a doubt the best way to go. How else could you get all a daughters gear to Uni' and still have enough room to carry an over night bag for a visit to the Avon Raceway?

Saloons "cough" "cough" Ever tried carrying rolls of fabric in a saloon when the rolls are the full length of the bed of the vehicle?

I admit I did do a run back from Manchester in our old 740 estate some years ago, and we were so well loaded that the headlights seemed to be acting like searchlights.