PDA

View Full Version : the first day of a repaint ...

preacher38
Saturday 29th August 2009, 22:22
got the old gal in and have started on a full repaint , stripped her of the essentials and have started to fill dents from car park users and finish the front splitter and hopefully get her masked and ready for a base coat tomorrow .

Tomcat
Saturday 29th August 2009, 23:22
Wow, what prompted that then??.

Have you removed the door handles and other bits of trim?, you be better off doing if you haven't other wise you'll end up with an ugly line around them when you unmask it.

preacher38
Sunday 30th August 2009, 08:17
all the stone chips and the front bumper cracks and other bits were really annoying me , taking the handles off today , saving them till last ....

timbo_1975
Sunday 30th August 2009, 12:33
Plenty of thin coats, flatted in-between, then another 4 or 5 of laquer, then do not touch it for at least 3 / 4 days before you polish it up! Should then look lovely. :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th August 2009, 14:28
new paint shouldnt be touch IMHO for 6 weeks at least.

Tomcat
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:30
new paint shouldnt be touch IMHO for 6 weeks at least.

Depends on the paint and how it's dried....

I've done a few 2k paint jobs that have had a poor finish, I've let it go hard to the point where you can just about leave a fingerprint in it if you press hard, then I've wet sanded it back a little with some 2000 grit wet and dry used very wet, polished it back with G3. As the paint isn't quite hard it tends to settle a little once you've polished it, this gives a fantastic mirror finish, however it's risky as hell because if you time it wrong or put too much pressure on when polishing you can actualy drag the paint off the panel and wrinkle it.

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:44
got the old gal in and have started on a full repaint , stripped her of the essentials and have started to fill dents from car park users and finish the front splitter and hopefully get her masked and ready for a base coat tomorrow .

Admiration........

Mrsmastiffs
Sunday 30th August 2009, 17:43
Hello, sorry to butt in but can I ask please what experience you have of re-spraying ? The reason I ask is that my hubby has got a sudden urge to learn how to do this in his mid life crisis and my T5 is looking like a prime candidate :( Is it a difficult task ?

Many thanks

Tracey

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 17:49
Hello, sorry to butt in but can I ask please what experience you have of re-spraying ? The reason I ask is that my hubby has got a sudden urge to learn how to do this in his mid life crisis and my T5 is looking like a prime candidate :( Is it a difficult task ?

Many thanks

Tracey

Welcome to the madhouse Tracey........Simple answer to your q is.........yes..

Tomcat
Sunday 30th August 2009, 19:08

Many thanks

Tracey

Oh dear......A re spray on something like a Volvo is not something to undertake lightly, a bad re spray can ruin a good car. Tell him that if he don't know what he's doing to pay someone else.

mas
Sunday 30th August 2009, 19:26
Er theres no nice way to put this but my beloved is talking pish :P

She knows very well that i said I would buy a car in need of some attention especially to try and learn on. ( a sit happens its an old porsche 944 I'm looking to practice on for what its worth)

'she' said oh my car could do with some help, presumably joking.

1) I wouldnt ruin a good car as theres nothing wrong with the paint on 'my' T5 other than scratches/age.

2) You dont start with a respray you start with maybe a little rust on some sills or a boot lip and say work your way up.

When she told me about your post I was interested and mistakenly asked
" put a post on and find out if and where he learned " . Im actually thinking of maybe a tech college or 'labouring' for a spray shop on my day off but as is typical of me its just another mid life crisis thing i want to have a go at hehehe

Lesson learned : don't ask your missus to post or she'll defo show you up

Well mine anyway :)

Mas

Tomcat
Sunday 30th August 2009, 19:35
Oh christ that's you in the dog house tonight then......

Learning to spray takes a looong time, you don't just need to know the technical aspects of it,you also need to know the tips of the trade that will save you in a pinch. College would be a good starting point, as for a car to work on at home, I'd suggest you go out and buy a car for a couple of hundred pounds that needs paint and play around with it.

preacher38
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:04

Many thanks

Tracey

hello .... basecoat on and nibbed down , panel wiped and the first coat of 2 pack on .... looks like a car again .... only another 2 or 3 coats to go ....sigh!! .

Mrsmastiffs

and in reply to your question as to the experience i have in painting , a good mate learned me the trade and have been doing a bit on and off for a few years ... and yes it is a difficult task " even now " ...

Redbrick
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:22
Having spent two weeks last summer just trying to paint my wheels there is no way in hell I'd attempt a car. You'd need good equipment, a decent compressor and a dust free enviroment- nothing worse than getting it good and then a bit of fluff landing on it.

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:31
And endless patience. Preparation is everything and it takes a loooooooong time...

mas
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:59
Personally I was hoping to learn to re do the odd sill or repair a bit of wheel arch damage so that it looks better than a 'spray can job' :P

I taught myself a bit of plastering and though I started off making a right mess of it I did end up capable of doing repairs to a wall , removed fireplace or chimney fill ins etc to a reasonable standerd.

I think painting a whole car would be more like attempting a ceiling and an arch ( neither of which I ever would )

You guys are doing a good job of putting me off trying

Mas

ged
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:21
i have just finnished respaying the fairing on my friends bike and although very experianced at this sort of thing one of the panels reacted very badly to the base coat.the rest of the panels looked great and now its back on the road looking as good as new.
i wouldnt advise tring to respray a car if you are a virgin at this sort of thing.

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:34
It's a labour of love. Your heart has to be in it.....If I ever require to be doing this again,I'll pay someone else.

preacher38
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:24
It's a labour of love. Your heart has to be in it.....If I ever require to be doing this again,I'll pay someone else.

i absolutely love my car , which is why i am putting up to 10 hours a day into giving some of her looks back to her which she so rightly deserves ... and helping others to appreciate what a great car the volvo is ...... she turned heads before this , hopefully now she will snap them ...

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:46
i absolutely love my car , which is why i am putting up to 10 hours a day into giving some of her looks back to her which she so rightly deserves ... and helping others to appreciate what a great car the volvo is ...... she turned heads before this , hopefully now she will snap them ...

Keep posting up pics matey. Be nice to see how it progresses..

preacher38
Sunday 30th August 2009, 23:16
pics will be on tomorrow night .......

AlanG
Monday 31st August 2009, 00:22
Good man!!

preacher38
Wednesday 2nd September 2009, 19:37
some more pics , had a couple days rest inbetween , need to buff with compound paste and finish the bonnet yet over the next couple of days , but she so looks better for the work so far put in ....

preacher38
Thursday 3rd September 2009, 19:32
some more pics of the old gal , bonnet painted and left to dry , going to put it back on at the weekend and do a little cutting tomorrow , am now knackered and need a rest ..... sigh !! ....... beer time methinks ...

Tomcat
Thursday 3rd September 2009, 21:54
Very nice, what have you done to the front bumper?, is that some sort of splitter at the bottom of it?.

preacher38
Thursday 3rd September 2009, 23:09
it is indeed a splitter , did it as i thought that it was looking a bit boring on the bottom as though something was missing its made from stainless steel formed and shaped for the curves and fibreglass and plastic padding and the red splitter is 6mm aluminium powder coated with a satin anodised tube covering the centre mount . looks quite nice i think .... without spoiling the overall look i hope ...

Wobbly Dave
Friday 4th September 2009, 12:04
I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'Holograms' - (Pic 12 of 19)

Hope you have a decent buffer.

volvokid
Friday 4th September 2009, 15:14
I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'Holograms' - (Pic 12 of 19)

Hope you have a decent buffer.

Just hope he doesnt have much dust in the garage lol

preacher38
Friday 4th September 2009, 18:51
oooooo damn nitpickers ... yes have a decent buffer and little holograms is gone , as for dust " nope none " and she has a nice glassy finish now ....

volvokid
Friday 4th September 2009, 18:57
oooooo damn nitpickers ... yes have a decent buffer and little holograms is gone , as for dust " nope none " and she has a nice glassy finish now ....

I do find it hard to believe there is no contaminants, my V40 was sprayed in a proper booth and has lots of crap under the lacquer, guess it wont be so noticeable being a black car.

preacher38
Friday 4th September 2009, 19:17
i originally intended to share an experience of mine in trying to give an old car a new lease of life by taking a week of my time to strip and paint her , yes i know its in a garage and not in a " booth " but i know how to polish and buff and hide certain contaminants that may lurk under the laquer , i do know what i am doing and would not have attempted to do this otherwise , is this all people do on here " nitpick at other peoples attempts " ....... dont worry wont bother anymore , am out of here !! .

volvokid
Friday 4th September 2009, 19:26
Sorry mate but I’ve seen one bucket to much when it comes to these cars nowadays, and when I first read you’re away to paint your car in an open to the elements garage I thought OMG but that’s just my opinion. When it comes to my R I give it the best I can because there is less and less good examples out there.

sen
Friday 4th September 2009, 19:26
i originally intended to share an experience of mine in trying to give an old car a new lease of life by taking a week of my time to strip and paint her , yes i know its in a garage and not in a " booth " but i know how to polish and buff and hide certain contaminants that may lurk under the laquer , i do know what i am doing and would not have attempted to do this otherwise , is this all people do on here " nitpick at other peoples attempts " ....... dont worry wont bother anymore , am out of here !! .

Bloody hell mate people are only expressing there views nobody has said you have actually done a naff job. From what i can see you have done a fantastic job for a diy job ie no booth etc. And black is an evil colour.

volvokid
Friday 4th September 2009, 19:28
Bloody hell mate people are only expressing there views nobody has said you have actually done a naff job. From what i can see you have done a fantastic job for a diy job ie no booth etc. And black is an evil colour.

Aggred he may of made a brill job of the car.

preacher38
Sunday 18th October 2009, 18:17
firstly i wish to apologise for my strop to members volvo kid and wobbly dave and anyone else who may have thought that i was an arse as i was , will put some pics of the car on to follow what was on before and i hold my hand up when i say that i made a mess of the bonnet as it was sanded down too far and it came through the paint , as said before i am sorry that i threw a strop but was also going through some personal problems at the time and i just spat the dummy out ................... ps does anyone have a spare bonnet for sale ...

sen
Sunday 18th October 2009, 18:20
Dont worry about it we all spit our dummy's out at some time

sebasteeno
Sunday 18th October 2009, 18:44
Dont worry about it we all spit our dummy's out at some time
Amen to that

Flatout Phil
Sunday 18th October 2009, 18:55
Personally I was hoping to learn to re do the odd sill or repair a bit of wheel arch damage so that it looks better than a 'spray can job' :P

I taught myself a bit of plastering and though I started off making a right mess of it I did end up capable of doing repairs to a wall , removed fireplace or chimney fill ins etc to a reasonable standerd.

I think painting a whole car would be more like attempting a ceiling and an arch ( neither of which I ever would )

You guys are doing a good job of putting me off trying

Mas

I have resprayed 5 cars over the past twenty years, and goodness me it is a a black art - all mine were in the days of cellulose paints as well. WOuld never do it again, each took a HUGE amount of prep, and it is so easy to muff it up with the silliest of things such as incorrect air temperature/humidity, and just avoiding dust. I did one basecoat and clear spray. Much easier - but as ever, like decorating at home it is all in the prep - and one bit of bad prep will stuff the job up.
The best solution is to find a friendly spray-shop to advise you on prepping the car yourself - but to be honest, I would leave even that to a pro for a truly spanking finish.
Sorry

sebasteeno
Sunday 18th October 2009, 19:36
Do you own a Peugeot 607?

preacher38
Monday 26th October 2009, 17:44
as i said some pics of her , havent washed her , dont want to yet till am fully satisfied . hope she looks ok as i know there is a bit to do yet .....

preacher38
Monday 26th October 2009, 17:55
i dont own a pug , its my aunts car in the reflection fella...

snoop69
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 12:48
Is it a difficult task ?

90% Preperation.
10% Paint.

A decent painter cannot make a badly prepared car look good with new paint.

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 13:36
Looks mint mate - lie the splitter too - good job :)