PDA

View Full Version : Heated seat's

sen
Saturday 29th August 2009, 17:26
Well after a little bit of helpfull advice off 'tc' this morning (again) i had an investigation as to why my heated seats are not working. I looked under the drivers seat and found the two red wires where not connected no connection on them should there be. How hard is it to remove my front seat guy's???

Tomcat
Saturday 29th August 2009, 17:42
When you say there's no connection do you mean the spade connector is missing off the end?.. If it is then reach under the seat, in the middle you'll find a hole, reach up inside the hole and you should find two spade terminals and probably your missing connectors (still plugged in). I think you may have enough wire on them to get them out where you can see them and re fit the connectors. Failing that the seats are bolted down by four bolts, it's a fairly easy job, just unbolt them and lean the seat back while you repair the connectors.

P.s.. IIRC there was a recall for 96 year cars for the heated seats, apparently they where getting that hot that some had caught fire. I had my last one done FOC, seats didn't get any where near as warm afterwards, thought it was a little overkill myself.

sen
Saturday 29th August 2009, 18:08
Top man thanks again!!!!

volvokid
Sunday 30th August 2009, 09:52
If it is as simple as the cables being disconnected, do a bit of investigation before you reconnect them as there me be a good reason for them being disconnected….

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 10:05
If it is as simple as the cables being disconnected, do a bit of investigation before you reconnect them as there me be a good reason for them being disconnected….
its a quite common thing on 850's, either people sat in the back with the feet under there catch them, or loose stuff in the rear footwells roll around & pull them out

Jimmie
Sunday 30th August 2009, 10:29
its a quite common thing on 850's, either people sat in the back with the feet under there catch them, or loose stuff in the rear footwells roll around & pull them out

My heat pad etc was replaced years ago but not under warranty as TC suggested even though there was a recall.
I would test everything before you reconnect.
The wire had come off due to overheating ,also saw one that did overheat altogether and there was no material left where your bum would have been.
TC you are correct the replacement ain't as hot as the original one.

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:14
A common failure on these is the thermostat which lives in the aforementioned cut-out in the seat base. Not sure of the cost but a very quick and easy fix. HTH.

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:29
A common failure on these is the thermostat which lives in the aforementioned cut-out in the seat base. Not sure of the cost but a very quick and easy fix. HTH.

Thanks alan ive reconnected mine up but still no heat

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:32
Are they both knackered? If the passenger one is working,try the thermo from there. If it still doesn't work,I'm afraid its ££££ed..

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:35
Are they both knackered? If the passenger one is working,try the thermo from there. If it still doesn't work,I'm afraid its ££££ed..

As in fubared :crazy:

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:42
Both?

t5 pete
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:07
P.s.. IIRC there was a recall for 96 year cars for the heated seats, apparently they where getting that hot that some had caught fire. I had my last one done FOC, seats didn't get any where near as warm afterwards, thought it was a little overkill myself.[/QUOTE]

I thought my seats in the t5 were way too warm i guess it never got took back for the recall but the seats in the 240 estate burns your a**e

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:15
Mine are very pleasant. A nice comfartable temp on both the base and backrest.........lurvleyy........

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:04
I thought my seats in the t5 were way too warm i guess it never got took back for the recall but the seats in the 240 estate burns your a**e
mine were perfect, just about the right temp for keeping the sausage rolls warm :)

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:27
Then you ripped out all the wiring to save weight......

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:35
Then you ripped out all the wiring to save weight......
& replaced the seats lol

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:38
& replaced the seats lol

BT has more than one?

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:41
BT has more than one?
not at the minute no, still got to drill the mounting points for the passenger harness yet. I was planning on having the passenger seat slide off the runners for quick removal but the system is a bit too complicated to do that (inless i velcro it in lol)

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 21:48
not at the minute no, still got to drill the mounting points for the passenger harness yet. I was planning on having the passenger seat slide off the runners for quick removal but the system is a bit too complicated to do that (inless i velcro it in lol)

How about baby sick? That seems to stick well..

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:05
How about baby sick? That seems to stick well..
hmm, with no ventilation in BT i think it might be a bit of a bad idea

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:09
hmm, with no ventilation in BT i think it might be a bit of a bad idea

Snot?

p fandango
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:10
Snot?
thanks for the ideas, but i think i'll stick with having the seat bolted in perminantly mate

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 22:15
thanks for the ideas, but i think i'll stick with having the seat bolted in perminantly mate

Fair enough........

Saaamon
Monday 31st August 2009, 22:41
I had the same problem on my R, re-connected the wires and still no heat.. Never did find out the problem.