PDA

View Full Version : 2 S40 Questions.......

S40 T4
Friday 3rd June 2005, 12:05
1) Does anybody know where the factory fitted multichanger goes in a '98 S40? Am fitting one myself, but not sure where to put it. A photo would be great. Brand new multi's are on e-bay for £130, this sounds quite good, but if anybody knows of anywhere cheaper....

2) Please can somebody tell my how to turn off my daytime running lights, have searched the net for hours to no avail.

Many Thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 13:48
Dunno about no.1

2. If the switch is anything like the 850s there is a grub screw in the bottom corner of the light switch. It is in the owners manual. You need a watchmenders screwdriver (i.e. a small one) and turn it. Can't remember of the top of my head which way - but like I said it is in the manual.

S40 T4
Friday 3rd June 2005, 13:59
No grub screw & nothing in the manual.

madness
Friday 3rd June 2005, 15:04
There Are 2 Options. Either On The Left Boot Floor Or Under The Parvel Shelf In The Middle . Different Fitting Kits Are Available.

Rooster
Sunday 5th June 2005, 20:16
There's 2 ways of turning day runners off on 98 s40's, the cheap wayand permant or the expensive and reversable way.

Expensive way, Go to dealer and buy another switch which is factory made so day runners are turned off.

Cheap way, Remove existing headlight switch and remve back of it, ie split it open so you can see connections inside, i think or it may just be on back of switch. You will see a long metal strip joining 2 connectors together, break it off and bang no day runners.

Just one thing if its like my 01 s40 when day runners are turned off it leaves dash lights on so you have to remember to turn lights on at night.

nikgallagher
Monday 6th June 2005, 09:21
Try this before you buy anything:

Ignition at pos 0
Turn light switch to 'sidelights'
Ignition to pos II
Pull on full beam and hold
Turn light switch to '0'
Release full beam
Ignition off

Vikingxl
Monday 6th June 2005, 13:37
I agree with Wobbly Dave on this one if its like the v70 it will have the grub screw in the corner of the switch. Its in my handbook under headlights and looks like two clicks to the right will turn everything off.

S40 T4
Monday 6th June 2005, 14:15
Deffo no grub screw & nothing in the manuel.

Have tried the key ignition thing, but no joy.

Spoke to 2 Volvo dealer's, neither of whom could help.

Will try cutting the contact on the back of the switch, but will get one off e-bay first incase i f it up!

Decided to mount the mutlichanger, hanging from the spare wheel cover, in the middle of the spare wheel. Ive killed a changer before with things slideing round the boot.

Cheers for the replys.

Martinr
Monday 6th June 2005, 15:14
Is it possible to 'hang' the changer beneath the parcel shelf? I have had a couple of installations like this on saloons in the past and they have been very successful.

cegc70t
Monday 6th June 2005, 19:09
Man what is wrong with running with the Lights on during the day? remember its VOLVO thing! and you get to laugh at all the idiots flashing to tell you they are on! Much cheaper and safer just to leave them on!

GATHY
Monday 6th June 2005, 19:16
does it not tell you in your manual ?
it does mine but mines a 2001 model.
try niks post above thats what it says in the manual :remybussi

madness
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 15:43
Officially it cannot be done and i wouldnt mess with a switch that costs £80+vat if you break it. i have looked at mine and one without and couldnt tell the difference so left it alone.

S40 T4
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:23
Well if i can get a cheap switch of e-bay, ill have i go, but no way im spending £80+. They don't bother me that much!

Quote: ''Much cheaper and safer just to leave them on!''

Safer i agree, but im a safe driver anyway (IAM member) :-)

not sure its cheaper though, think of all the extra bulbs i'll need to buy!