PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body cleaning and MAF

Murakami
Saturday 29th August 2009, 14:01
Have an 850 T5 1995 (has OBD II) that is suffering from hunting in the revs on cold start up, ending in stalling until warmed up a bit. Coupled with bad throttle response and a fault code of 2 3 1, mechanic has told me the throttle body needs to be replaced or cleaned out.

I've come across mentions of ETM's for the V70 but was under the impression that this didn't exist in the 850, so am confused why what my mechanic is reffering to?

I've also been told to disconnect the MAF to see if this is the problem, but as soon as I remove the electrical plug the car dies. Am I supposed to remove the whole device and leave the hose open?

Thanks in advance

Niles
Saturday 29th August 2009, 16:15
ok, 1st....throttle body.... disconnect the air intake pipe to the body. The body is held by 4 10mm nuts, remove them & out it comes. Use a good splosh of carb cleaner & give it plenty wiggles & use a toothbrush to shift the grime. Rinse with more carb cleaner & let it air dry (wont take long). The maf has a couple of metal vanes that are VERY delicate so be very careful unplug the maf & remove it, more squirts of carb cleaner required. DO NOT use mr toothbrush or any kind of 'help', just carb cleaner. Let it airdry & then replace.
Also, very near the throttle body you can find the Idle control valve.
Remove it & splosh loads of card cleaner into both inlet & oultet post. LOADS & LOADS!!!! give it plenty of shakes & ensure any residue is running clean & not mucky in any way!

I'd say that the problem you have is more likely the Idle control valve. A good clean/ service of the parts I've mentioned should really help.

Further than that it may be filthy dirty injectors. Get them ultrasonically cleaned or as a quicky run some injector cleaner through the fuel take.

Good luck!

(none of the jobs are hard & all 3 should take no more than 45 mins!!)

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 29th August 2009, 16:23
What niles said, but after that, get your PCV system sorted, because it is the crap from that that clogs up the intake parts

Murakami
Saturday 29th August 2009, 17:07
Thanks guys, I have already cleaned ICV per previous instructions I received. I just went out to have a quick look and wondered if what I saw was normal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44567935@N00/3868017644/sizes/m/

There seems to be a lot of tape and glue there, am I still safe to take it off?

Murakami
Sunday 30th August 2009, 14:26
Throttle body cleaned as per instructions, did my usual and overtightened & promptly snapped one of the bolts so I hope it doesn't have to be removed again for awhile. Will do MAF later once engine has cooled. There is still no change. Forgot to buy injector cleaner yesterday.

Car won't run at all with the MAF disconnected. Is this indicative of another problem altogether?

Niles
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:01
don't think so mate, my car is a '96 855 T5, if I remove the MAF plug it won't run (mite JUST idle but NO chance of it running in gear)

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:27
If disconnecting the MAF is stalling the car,then it would suggest the fault lies elsewhere...

Murakami
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:49
Okay, thanks guys. I guess it's time to start on the hoses. I want to take the dump valve that was on it when I bought it off, so intend on buying some anyway. It'll be at least the first travelling from the throttle body up to the top of the rad, as per this image:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/images/intercoolerpiping.JPG

These are the 2 that are all taped up in the photo I put in, so again, here's hoping.

BTW is a there a thread recommending online parts sellers anywhere on the site. Can't find one?

Murakami
Sunday 30th August 2009, 19:07
After more research I've gone out to check the dipstick and it has smoke coming from it too, so there are obviously a couple of issues at play here. I took the oil filler off and most of the smoke seemed to escape from there. I guess there's no such thing as a bargain these days

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:14
PCV is just routine maintainance buddy. Just a necessary evil..

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 20:16
PCV is just routine maintainance buddy. Just a necessary evil..

Is correct

Murakami
Monday 31st August 2009, 20:35
Okay guys I took hose off and couldn't find anything wrong with it, which isn't really saying much. TBH I'm thinking of just throwing the towel in and geting a mechanic to look at it, seen as the PCV needs doing anyway.

Is it a really bad sigh to be getting the smoke from both the oil filler hole and the dipstick?

Murakami
Thursday 10th September 2009, 22:45
Mechanic has checked it out. Dump valve seems to be causing part of the problem anyway, but others check out okay. PCV is next port of call. Smoke is pouring from dipstick and back of engine. How often is buggered piston rings at fault as opposed to the simpler (and less expensive) cleaning?