PDA

View Full Version : Remapping advise

BagR
Friday 3rd June 2005, 11:21
well, looks as if things are moving a bit faster than i thought! Thought i'd drive a few months before looking at a remap, but I got a great deal on a dastek unit ;).

Yes... I know RICA is the way to go, and that volvotuning know their stuff, but its just not practical when i'm in ireland. So instead I've picked up a dastek unit (used them before with good results) and am taking it to someone i trust to do a RR setup. I've checked out plugs, oil etc etc and its going to the local Volvo dealer next week to check out all the belts and everything before i go any further ;).

However i'm wanting some advise before i take it to the RR. Am i right in saying that the manual 850R has the slightly larger 16T turbo? What would be seen as acceptable boost levels for this? I'm not changing the Turbo at the same time (this one seems strong enough and seems to be holding boost fine), and i want a good reliable level that isn't goign to lead to complete meltdown. It will probably be a 95RON map, as there is no Optimax here, just BP Ultimate.

Any advise that anyone can offer on ecu tweaking will be gratefully recieved :).

Mrsmopp
Friday 3rd June 2005, 11:28
Can you give a little more detail as to how the dasteck unit works as I am not familiar with them?

x

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 11:49
As so many of us find, the cars are fine as stock and all is well, its only when we ask them to work hard that you see issues, ie worn turbo's, maf sensors, o2 sensors, ignition leads, etc etc etc.

I hope all goes well, but dont be supprised if it costs more than you expect ;)

speedys70t5
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:18
Apart from Rica there is also TME which should also be considered, and also the BSR ppc units which retail around the £500 mark (dependent on model) produce great gains at very similar prices. There are more options to be considered.

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:30
Bit late mate, he has already got the Dastek if you read the post

speedys70t5
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:35
With no offence. Wasn’t criticising anything Justin, was just offering other possible suggestions for other people interested in the performance gains of mapping and tuning!

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:36
None taken mate :)

speedys70t5
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:40
justin, just wondering are you planning on any volvo meets down south in the future? what performance options did you go for with your t5?

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:42
There are some destined this summer, but really its upto members to decide regular locations, as for mine, i now have the V70R and went for rica, had to spend some hard earned on a few niggling jobs, including the whole ignition set as after 79k they were tired :)

Alls well now though.

speedys70t5
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:46
just wondering so what sort of power are you now putting out with the rica with the r? so haven't decided to play with a bigger turbo yet?

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 21:50
The R has an 18T as standard, on the old ignition set she made 243bhp @ the wheels, the wastegate was also weak, i would think if she is running bang on about 260-265 @ the wheels, I will be having a dyno run in a few weeks when she goes in for an oil service ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 23:52
19T and a DP + remap - come on J - you know you wanna! 280 BHP at the wheels? Suit you sir!

BagR
Sunday 5th June 2005, 13:29
Dastek is basically a piggyback ECU, that can be mapped. It intercepts all the signals from the normal ECU then lets you change what you want (i.e. fueling, ignition and boost I would think).

I know about the BSR and the RICA, but as i say my priority is getting something that i know can be mapped locally :). I'll let you's know how it pans out!

has anyone any idea on safe boost levels for the turbo in an 850 R manual? Would anyone know what impact can I expect of the old fuel economy?

cheers, Andy

Andrew
Sunday 5th June 2005, 13:53
I can only go on RICA which is 1.2bar on a 15/16g turbo and 1.3bar on a 19T.