PDA

View Full Version : Car cleaning help needed

mikouk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 14:22
My car looks a real state at the moment. I have to park it under a tree so its covered in sap, leaves, bird poop, and spiders webs. I have a plan on how to clean it up. This is my list

Jet wash it
Shampoo it
Rinse it
Dry it
T-Cut it
Apply Auto glyn super resin polish

Is this ok or am i talking out of my ar*e

Any advice is very welcome!
Thanks
Mark

jez.w
Thursday 27th August 2009, 14:54
Take it for a Polish hand job, they will do it for a fiver.

mikouk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 14:55
Take it to a Polish hand job, let them do it for a fiver.

Ah good plan. What about the car?!!!! Lol

jez.w
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:00
kill two birds with one stone.......... i like it!

richiemat
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:12
hehe nice one ^^

if it helps I use a Meguirs gold glass shampoo along with a meguire lambs wool washmitt & maguire water magnet cloth. Never really bothered with named brand stuff before but took the 'plunge' and was pleased with the improvement

Good to meet you yesterday btw :)

mikouk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:17
if it helps I use a Meguirs gold glass shampoo along with a meguire lambs wool washmitt & maguire water magnet cloth. Never really bothered with named brand stuff before but took the 'plunge' and was pleased with the improvement

Good to meet you yesterday btw

You too mate, thanks

Hope you got everything done. Everything was fine on mine as I was hoping but Russ did spot a couple of other things that need sorting!!!

Thanks for the cleaning advice.

I will do some research

Cheers
Mark

sen
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:17
My car looks a real state at the moment. I have to park it under a tree so its covered in sap, leaves, bird poop, and spiders webs. I have a plan on how to clean it up. This is my list

Jet wash it
Shampoo it
Rinse it
Dry it
T-Cut it
Apply Auto glyn super resin polish

Is this ok or am i talking out of my ar*e

Any advice is very welcome!
Thanks
Mark

First job before you do any of this you need to get the meg's clay kit and give the car a good claying. These are available from halford's you will find a huge difference when you have done this. Just keep the clay well lube'd with the detailing spray provided in the kit you will be amazed at the crap that comes off onto the clay.

mikouk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:31
First job before you do any of this you need to get the meg's clay kit and give the car a good claying. These are available from halford's you will find a huge difference when you have done this. Just keep the clay well lube'd with the detailing spray provided in the kit you will be amazed at the crap that comes off onto the clay.

Sounds good mate. Presumably I need to spray all the big crap off the car first? ie, do a basic clean or not? Thanks for your help though

sen
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:36
Sounds good mate. Presumably I need to spray all the big crap off the car first? ie, do a basic clean or not? Thanks for your help though

Oh yes sorry my mistake yes a good clean then clay bar any questions regards detailing pm me mate take a look on detailing world if you want to be really baffled its mind blowing lol.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 27th August 2009, 18:29
Yeah, I got the megs clay bar kit, its leaves a fantastic smooth surface to polish up! And its amazing the amount of crap it picks up. I couldn't stop touching it it was that smooth!

Here's how I did mine...

Wash with megs NXT generation car wash stuff (jet wash if ya got one)
dry with leather
clay bar the car (megs clay bar kit)
Autoglym super resin polish (using electric polisher)
Autoglym extra gloss protection

Car looks super. I know its not an in depth clean, and the products are not the best, but my car is a daily driver, and its just not worth spending a whole day cleaning to get it filthy within a day (take ages to do whats on my list as it is).

bornagain
Thursday 27th August 2009, 18:36
Clay bar all the way!

T4FLY
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:23
Most clay kits come with a cleaner wax to use before the clay which will remove alot of the tar / contaminents. That'll allow you to get the most out of the clay.

Would prefer to use a good polish rather than T cut. Incidently you can get the Meguiers 3 stage waxes (3 for 2) in Halfords which I think is a good deal.

jonno12
Friday 28th August 2009, 08:55
id use a traffic film remover first mark it will get all the sap off then use a high polish this should keep it off for a while

Libra
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:49
I really should do this sort of thing for a living, but alas I know what its like in the winter, plus I have RSI in my right hand.

Wash your car with a good shampoo, something like Megs gold class NXT or even AG shampoo and cond. Using a lambs wool wash mitt and two buckets one with the fresh shampoo and the other with just plain water. Wash the car doing only one panel at at time before rinsing out the wash mitt in the clean water bucket before re loading with new soap. We do this to 'reduce the potential' of putting scratches into the paint work. Once you have washed the car, starting with the wheels first (might need to make up two lots of buckets) hose the soap off using a hose with out an attachment to 'sheet' the water off. Then with your drying towel, waffle weave or deep pile microfibre drying towel dry the car in a patting/dabbing motion.

Get your megs clay kit and break the clay bar into more than one piece, so if you accidentally drop the cay, you can get the other piece(s) to carry on. As the bit you dropped has to go in the bin! use lots of the lubricant. Once you feel the clay is not resisting against the bodywork, then using a clean dry microfibre cloth wipe away the excess lube. Once you have clayed the car, re wash and dry. That was you know you are starting from a clean base.

Polish and wax.

Its the prep work that makes the finial result that much better.

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 15:52
^^^^Is 100% correct couldn't have put it better my self^^^^^ Foam lance too great tools and fun too lol

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:02
take it for a polish hand job, they will do it for a fiver.

a what????????????

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:07
a what????????????

You no alan one of those washes that gives you FREE swirls and old dirty water in there bucket!! LOL

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:10
You no alan one of those washes that gives you FREE swirls and old dirty water in there bucket!! LOL

Was gettin' worried then......Do you have to apply your own grit to the sponge or is that included in the price??

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:13
Was gettin' worried then......Do you have to apply your own grit to the sponge or is that included in the price??

No it's all in the fiver deal they will even drop the old sponge on the floor once or twice for you for no extra charge and sometimes if you are really lucky they will wash from bottom up :icon_soap

AlanG
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:19
No it's all in the fiver deal they will even drop the old sponge on the floor once or twice for you for no extra charge and sometimes if you are really lucky they will wash from bottom up :icon_soap

Haw Haw!! Good call........Do they scratch the sides with their jacket studs aswell?

sen
Sunday 30th August 2009, 16:43
Haw Haw!! Good call........Do they scratch the sides with their jacket studs aswell?

lmao Ohh yes ha ha

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 30th August 2009, 17:50
Mark, if you need any bits after all the advice given, pop in and see me at work as i sell all the autoglym and meguiars products including the trade pack sizes.

mike