PDA

View Full Version : fitting new headunit

scooter
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 17:00
hi guys what is the procedure to takin out the original p2 headunit i have bought facia and leads for my unit but don't want to use a hammer hehe any help would be very helpful :banana:

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:04
At the bottom left and right of the head unit are a couple of slots vertical, if you push them in, they pop out as two mini handles, which also act as a lock when pushed back in, you can then pull the stereo out - if thats what you meant??

Dan Sweeney
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:10
Hey Scooter, welcome to the mad house! When you say P2 is it a V70 etc etc and is the existing head unit a double din? I have just done this conversion on a V70 so I might be able to help. Drop me a line.

Cheers

Dan

scooter
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 19:49
yes it is a v70 01 estate it isn't a double din it seems to quite wide with a cup holder beside the unit similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-HU-803-CD-PLAYER-4-DISC-CHANGER-SUIT-V70-S60_W0QQitemZ370250832280QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud io_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_ Audio_Players_PP?hash=item5634ab5998&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Dan Sweeney
Thursday 27th August 2009, 00:32
Gotcha. Its the same as my own.
Have a trawl through the ice section for posts by the Badger whi is truly a god among men. You have the 803 unit and the air con/heating unit below that and possibly a little pen holder panel just above the gear stick.
Lever out the pen holder bit (two plastic kiddies knives, one at each side do the trick, but do take your time as plastic aint cheap!
Once this is out there are two screws at the bottom of the AC unit . They sit in about 11/2 inches but are clearly visible below the unit .(Torx heads) Pop these but dont drop them cos theyre a bugger to retrieve.
There should be movement in the AC unit at this point.
Pu;ll the bottom of the unit towards you and atrt levering up the sides with your fingers (Ie put thumbs on surrounding console amd work your way up, jiggling as you go and oulling outwards and downwards) DO not disconnect the AC cabling stuff as its linked to the brain I believe which is more powerful than mine! There is enough length on the cables to work on the radio with the AC lying securely supported against the gear level (use a jumper or something or a bit of foam to cushion it. ) The top of the AC unit is held in place with two metal interference clips which will make you think youre using too much force as you lever and pull but its really a tight bugger to get off. Perservere and take your time.
Once its off, there ar another two torx screws at the bottom of the 803 holding in its metal frame. Undo these and pull the bottom of the 803 towards you. The top of the unit fits into a channel in the dash centre and should just pop out if you pull the bottom out and down slightly..
I still havent figured out which wires run the dash speaker (seem to be an extra green and a white on the new loom that arent connected to anything on the replacement head unit) but the din replacement loom links everything up to the amp. There will be a blue wire which activates the amp and connect this to your accessory/electric ariel wire on the replacement headunit. Its a signal wire switching on the amp when you turn the new head unit on.
Banzai and good luck.
If anyone out there reading this sees any obvious snafu in what Ive said please let me and scooter know.
If you need a hand send me a pm . Always glad to pitch in.
Cheers
Dan