PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads & Braking Temperature

Bison
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 23:24
As some of you may know, I have recently ordered some Brembo Discs and Tar-Ox fast road Pads. unfortunately I recieved an email this morning fro Parts for volvos saying that the Tar-Ox pads were out of stock til Monday (No good as I need them fitted by Saturday) Anyways they were really good about it and are now sending out C-Tech Fast Road pads by Mintex for tomorrow, Apparently better than the Tar-Ox and cost a few quid more to. Anyone had Mintex before? Are they good?
I was also wondering what temps can pads get up to on our Volvos? What is the temp that the standard Volvo Pads start to Fade at?

This is the chart for the Mintex Pads and some info on the material they are made from.
http://www.mintex.co.uk/img/motorsport/ctech/g1.gif
M1144 is the material for fast road use as well as light competition such as karting, hill climb and single seater racing cars.

One of the main characteristics of this material is the ability to work from cold, which gives the user the confidence of a standard material on the first application of the brakes. The benefit of M1144 is experienced as the temperature within the brakes starts to increase. M1144 will remain stable and consistent through to 450c where a standard material at this temperature will most certainly start to fade. The bedding in procedure for M1144 is the same as any standard material i.e. steady braking for the first 50 miles, avoiding emergency stops. All M1144 pads are supplied with fully branded C-Tech anti noise shims and a C-Tech sticker.

Bison

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 23:30
As far as I know Mintex are OEM pads for Volvo.

Bison
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 23:56
As far as I know Mintex are OEM pads for Volvo.

Hmmm that is strange, on Parts For Volvos, they say Pagid are Volvo OEM.
I didn't go for the standard Mintex anyhow, these are the Fast Roaders. Should do the trick.

Bison

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 00:02
I could be wrong. It has been known

Justin
Friday 3rd June 2005, 00:27
I had mintex fast roads on my last 850, they faded under hard braking, but it did take some effort !

dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 00:47
all the reviews on the s60r, when testing on track, etc, said no brake fade was found, lap after lap with the r, so maybe worth finding out wot pads the R uses?, i know it has the brembo disks.

dave

Bison
Friday 3rd June 2005, 13:31
I had mintex fast roads on my last 850, they faded under hard braking, but it did take some effort !
:wtf:
I hope I haven't wasted £100!!

Bison

siamblue
Friday 3rd June 2005, 22:09
I hav e the same dilemma, I need a soft pad as i have Turbogroove discs and i feel DS2500 will eat the discs away in no time,
So might have to be mintex standards for me.