PDA

View Full Version : Modified my exhaust and sorted splutter!!!

cragmaz
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 22:01
Hi all,

Been tinkering at the garage at the weekend, and decided to remove the backbox from my milltek stainless system,:yikes: as it was too quiet for my liking.
Also solved my slight splutter on full boost under heavy load, by fitting some bosch Tridium plugs and closing the gaps to 0.5mm from 0.7mm, pulls beautifully now at 1.1bar (16psi) all the way to the redline awesome power, dusted a boxter S on the way to work the other morning, posh T**t, looked distraught as i blew him away, ha ha!!!!:D

Anyway , back to the exhaust, i drew a deep breath and removed the oval tailpiece, and chopped the silencer out,then butt welded a stainless length to the existing system and welded the tailpiece back on.
wow, what a gorgeous sound!!!!!, lovely deep burble on tickover, and a deep growl, turning to a manacing loud climax, with some lovely popping on overrun, sounds now, like i always wanted it to do, just the one box in the centre now, cant stop driving it fast!!!!!;)

i love my T5!!!!.....woooohoooooo!!!!!

C

cherry1809
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 22:13
Vid?

cragmaz
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 22:32
Vid?

HuH!!!!!:confused:

C

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 22:53
hmmm, I wouldn't mind hearing/seeing a clip of what your zorst sounds like now?! I've kinda always been one for the subtle, descreet look/sound. But where's the fun in that?! :D

cragmaz
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 23:06
hmmm, I wouldn't mind hearing/seeing a clip of what your zorst sounds like now?! I've kinda always been one for the subtle, descreet look/sound. But where's the fun in that?! :D

will see what i can do matey.

C

Johnny5
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:34
I have a vid of mine up on youtube

Link is :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoX9yaPD9Pg

John

danny-R
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:41
that sounds as loud as mine!!
do you just have the 1 backbox? and cat? also do you get that annoying drone between 2000-2500 rpm.

Johnny5
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:49
Yeah its nice n loud above 2000rpm, and really barks when you give it a boot full! ;)
One small back box and the cat in the system

danny-R
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 19:11
i had the cat permanently removed, may regret it later but never mind,
yeah mine sounds v nice, if you asked my neighbours not sure they'd say the same lol

cherry1809
Thursday 27th August 2009, 09:01
HuH!!!!!:confused:

C

LOL, Of your exhaust.

BruceT
Thursday 27th August 2009, 10:18
that sounds as loud as mine!!
do you just have the 1 backbox? and cat? also do you get that annoying drone between 2000-2500 rpm.

2.5" call the way back, 1 small backbox and no cat.

Its LOUD.

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 27th August 2009, 13:42
You'll need your CAT on for your MOT and of course if you have removed it then remember to tell your insurance company!!

I've said it before - its only a matter of time before someone comes unstuck...

jez.w
Thursday 27th August 2009, 14:13
There are lots of places willing to MOT a car with no cat on, i have had my celica GT4 and other previous cars done many times with no cat, no problem.

You may want to tell your insurance company as previous (2.5 10V) post mentioned

danny-R
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:17
i have not informed my insurers as of yet, but when my renewal is up january i will be going with adrianne flux. 700 fully comp, with the mrs as named driver and including all modifications.(will have 3yrs no claims by then :))
a damn sight better than the £1300 i am paying at the moment tpf&t! with e-car.
i tried to add an exhaust to modifications and they wanted an extra £300 as it is a 15% performance increase.

i think its all ££££££x, but its worth it.

BruceT
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:55
The 850 only needs a cat for emmisions pass, not to pass an MOT.

If its got clean oil and good condition engine it will pass the emmisions with no problem and pass the MOT with no CAT.

danny-R
Thursday 27th August 2009, 18:34
i'm not worried anyway as i have had cars in the past not pass emissions, it's not that hard to get results off another car lol.

BruceT
Thursday 27th August 2009, 18:47
Plus, not CAT makes a difference.

Seems to come on boost earlier and harder.

Johnny5
Thursday 27th August 2009, 21:57
OMFG!

Now heres an exhaust note and a 1/2 lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IazLThkWNQo&feature=related

marky 76
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:04
i think you may have been better off removeing the center box as it is more restrictive than the back box !!!!!

cragmaz
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:04
managed to do a short video of exhaust, hope its ok, did it from my phone!!!

http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/gg327/cragmaz/?action=view&current=MOV00037.flv

Craig

Johnny5
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:30
Looking and sounding good m8y ;)

cragmaz
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:56
Looking and sounding good m8y ;)

Thanks dude,

C

S70T5Chris
Friday 28th August 2009, 08:29
Thanks Crag, that does sound very nice mate

Wombatbomb
Friday 28th August 2009, 08:44
You'll need your CAT on for your MOT and of course if you have removed it then remember to tell your insurance company!!

I've said it before - its only a matter of time before someone comes unstuck...

And I'll say it yet again, the presence of a CAT has FECK ALL to do with whether a car can pass an MOT, checking to see whether one is fitted to the vehicle is not part of the test.

The CAT is part of the construction and use regulations for vehicles, if your car was manufactured after a certain date (sometime in 1993 iirc) then it MUST be fitted with a CAT at all times. So, the time that you need a CAT fitted is not just for an MOT, you just have to pray that you never get a roadside VOSA check, because they can and have confiscated vehicles for not having the CAT fitted.

Your statement about telling your insurers is, frankly, beyond stupidity. By removing a CAT you have, in the eyes of the law, made your vehicle unroadworthy (hence why VOSA can impound it). If you look through your insurance terms you'll find that the policy will require that you keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. So, by ringing up and telling your insurance company that you have removed your CAT you are also telling them you have knowingly made your vehicle unroadworthy. All they will do is say thank you very much, perhaps charge you for the pleasure, and then make a note on your policy. So, roll on a period of time and you have an accident. You ring your insurer and try to make a claim, they look at the policy notes, see you've made the car unroadworthy, laugh at you and put the phone down.

cherry1809
Friday 28th August 2009, 19:21
And I'll say it yet again, the presence of a CAT has FECK ALL to do with whether a car can pass an MOT, checking to see whether one is fitted to the vehicle is not part of the test.

The CAT is part of the construction and use regulations for vehicles, if your car was manufactured after a certain date (sometime in 1993 iirc) then it MUST be fitted with a CAT at all times. So, the time that you need a CAT fitted is not just for an MOT, you just have to pray that you never get a roadside VOSA check, because they can and have confiscated vehicles for not having the CAT fitted.

Your statement about telling your insurers is, frankly, beyond stupidity. By removing a CAT you have, in the eyes of the law, made your vehicle unroadworthy (hence why VOSA can impound it). If you look through your insurance terms you'll find that the policy will require that you keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. So, by ringing up and telling your insurance company that you have removed your CAT you are also telling them you have knowingly made your vehicle unroadworthy. All they will do is say thank you very much, perhaps charge you for the pleasure, and then make a note on your policy. So, roll on a period of time and you have an accident. You ring your insurer and try to make a claim, they look at the policy notes, see you've made the car unroadworthy, laugh at you and put the phone down.

LOL.
Spend out and buy a sports one.
Car sounds nice btw cragmaz.

cragmaz
Friday 28th August 2009, 20:00
LOL.
Spend out and buy a sports one.
Car sounds nice btw cragmaz.

Thanx buddy!, was even thinkin of choppin out the remaining silencer, but dunno.

just nice for now.

C

cragmaz
Friday 28th August 2009, 20:16
short video of a blast to work this morning, exhaust sounds nice and rampant wheelspin on the damp roads, excellent fun!!!!!

http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/gg327/cragmaz/?action=view&current=MOV00038.flv

C

Johnny5
Friday 28th August 2009, 20:28
Crag, be carefull if you are thinking of removing the rear silencer completley as it provides back pressure on the engine ;)

cragmaz
Friday 28th August 2009, 23:08
Crag, be carefull if you are thinking of removing the rear silencer completley as it provides back pressure on the engine ;)

no backbox matey, just 1 centre one!!!!

C

cherry1809
Saturday 29th August 2009, 14:01

As far as I'm aware, The turbo provides enough back pressure by itself.
Back pressure and crap exhausts only really applies to NA cars.

cragmaz
Monday 31st August 2009, 21:10
As far as I'm aware, The turbo provides enough back pressure by itself.
Back pressure and crap exhausts only really applies to NA cars.

yeh, my mate had one some years ago, and he just had a straight thro pipe from turbo back, it sounded awesome poppin` and bangin` on overrun, very tempted haha!!!

C

p fandango
Monday 31st August 2009, 21:14
you don't want back pressure on a turbo, thats why i've got a bypass valve

cragmaz
Monday 31st August 2009, 22:22
you don't want back pressure on a turbo, thats why i've got a bypass valve

how does that work then m8?

C

p fandango
Monday 31st August 2009, 22:28
how does that work then m8?
its a motorised butterfly valve welded into the exhaust, flick the switch & it opens bypassing the CAT, silencer & all the piperwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5815/21858896.jpg

cragmaz
Monday 31st August 2009, 22:48
its a motorised butterfly valve welded into the exhaust, flick the switch & it opens bypassing the CAT, silencer & all the piperwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5815/21858896.jpg

Wow!!!!, thats awesome, is it expensive to do, where do you get the parts from and does it provide any performance benefits?

C

p fandango
Monday 31st August 2009, 23:19
Wow!!!!, thats awesome, is it expensive to do, where do you get the parts from and does it provide any performance benefits?
i got it from QTP & had to be imported from America, think it cost about £150ish quid, then the price of getting it fitted. Not done any back-to-back tests & not really used it much, but should help the turbo spool up quick

woz
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 00:02
Hi all,

Been tinkering at the garage a..................... i drew a deep breath and removed the oval tailpiece, and chopped the silencer out,then butt welded a stainless length to the existing system ....
C.

errhyemm I knows some on yer speaks with theirs, but how do you weld with your butt? Can you post vid of it on Youtube??

Cheers
Woz

cragmaz
Tuesday 1st September 2009, 00:37

errhyemm I knows some on yer speaks with theirs, but how do you weld with your butt? Can you post vid of it on Youtube??

Cheers
Woz

HaHa, thats almost as funny as your avatar picture!!!!!!

C

cameron
Friday 4th September 2009, 01:08
Shamooooaaaaaaan mother ££££er, lol

Car sounds mint Craig and goes like stink :D

scripter
Friday 4th September 2009, 18:43
havent looked at the cat on a volvo but had a cat on a calibra before and smashed the centre through and then put a straight peice of pipe through the centre making it decatted but still looking like an original cat not sure if this is poss on volvos but if you done it that way then if vosa pull u over u can plead igronance on it i suppose

sen
Friday 4th September 2009, 19:02
short video of a blast to work this morning, exhaust sounds nice and rampant wheelspin on the damp roads, excellent fun!!!!!

http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/gg327/cragmaz/?action=view&current=MOV00038.flv

C

Undertaking on a public highway tut tut lol Nice vid