PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Boost guage question

ddmgti
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 19:49
Hello newbie with first Volvo, a 1995 850 T5,Just wondering how accurate the boost guage in Instrument Pane is if i boot car it only just goes in to the White segment but car is going like a rocket, is there a wastegate on these cars dont hear any noises from underbonnet,excuse the daft questions i,m new to these cars Thanks

p fandango
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 19:55
Hello newbie with first Volvo, a 1995 850 T5,Just wondering how accurate the boost guage in Instrument Pane is if i boot car it only just goes in to the White segment but car is going like a rocket, is there a wastegate on these cars dont hear any noises from underbonnet,excuse the daft questions i,m new to these cars Thanks
hi welcome to the forum.

the guage isn't very accurate at all, but as a rough estimate the end of the white is around 15psi. You should be going about 3/4into the white on a good standard car

the wastegate is an internal part of the turbo & controls the level of boost, i think you mean a dump valve which is what makes the noises on a modded turbo car between gear-changes. The T-5 was got a recirc variety of a dump valve as standard, & dumps the air back into the air intake pipe to keep the noise down

no question is daft if you don't know the answer mate

AlanG
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 19:56
Welcome buddy. The standard guage on a stock T5 should be between half to 2/3rds into the white on a healthy car. It does have a wastegate as all turbocharged cars do. The actuator for this will wear and req to be adjusted to compensate. Other causes for low boost include leakage in the vacuum pipe system which is quite comprehensive ie loads of them..

ddmgti
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 20:27
Thanks for that i can see some vacum pipes in engine bay.clear plastic which look fairly new, out of interest when does turbo kick in?i could check on rev counter seems to run ok, slight hesitation, but my next job is a service, plugs,dissy cap rotor arm, HT Leads filters etc see how she runs after that, assume if turbo was dead car would hardly run at all?

p fandango
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 20:31
the 15G normally kicks in around 2500rpm if i remember right. It may not be as serious as a dead turbo why your not getting full boost, the hoses have already been changed so could be just one loose, or a main boost pipe has perished

AlanG
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 15:17
Or the actuator is badly adjusted..

Johnny5
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 18:30
Mine is standard apart from an aftermarket free flow exhaust and on full throttle im getting about 1/2 way into the white on the dashboard guage, i also have another guage fitted which tells me that im getting just about 1/2 a bar boost (7psi) on full throttle.
Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum

John

ddmgti
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 19:42
Thanks, guage went about halfway into white tonight on an uphill run, been doing a bit research and will check actuator arm,vacum pipes etc etc also renew all ignition components, when thats done hopefully some tuning

t5_carl
Thursday 27th August 2009, 09:15
if you want some waste gate flutter, nice air filter and blank off the recirc valve, just need a alloy plate and a gasket, or someone does them for 25 quid, but i made mine my self, mine chatters like a gooden, even on 10PSI

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2009, 14:20
if you want some waste gate flutter, nice air filter and blank off the recirc valve, just need a alloy plate and a gasket, or someone does them for 25 quid, but i made mine my self, mine chatters like a gooden, even on 10PSI
sorry i've got to hijack your post & put my vid up :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY

callyuk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:00
nice job pedro my man but your vid is a blank

jez.w
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:01

it just worked for me? sounds nice

callyuk
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:06
the embedded image is just drawing a blank for me but iv heard it before with my own ears so no hardship :)

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 15:40
What is the whine on overrun Ped??

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:27
your dodgy computer playing up again mate lol

the embedded image is just drawing a blank for me but iv heard it before with my own ears so no hardship :)
i must of had that filter on when you drove her, altho i think you were too busy worrying about the brakes lol

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:30
What is the whine on overrun Ped??
tbh mate i've no idea, i hadn't even noticed it & had to watch the vid again to see what you meant, but there is defo something at the lower end of the rpm's on overrun. I was going to but it down to electrical interference with the camera but it sounds mechanical to me

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:33
tbh mate i've no idea, i hadn't even noticed it & had to watch the vid again to see what you meant, but there is defo something at the lower end of the rpm's on overrun. I was going to but it down to electrical interference with the camera but it sounds mechanical to me

Sounds like something periphiral like alternator or water pump bud..

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2009, 16:34
Sounds like something periphical like alternator or water pump bud..
ah it'll be alright then, when whatever it is fails i'll just remove it lol

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 17:04
ah it'll be alright then, when whatever it is fails i'll just remove it lol

Suppose I asked for that..:slap:

JelT5
Thursday 27th August 2009, 17:20
Suppose I asked for that..:slap:

LOL you did mate! water pumps and alternators weigh too much ;)

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 17:30
LOL you did mate! water pumps and alternators weigh too much ;)

Just had a very disturbing image in my mind of the 1/4 mile run with Mr Ped going naked cause his clothes weigh too much.........:help:

t5_carl
Thursday 27th August 2009, 19:06
sorry i've got to hijack your post & put my vid up :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY

mines just as loud:D but auto so have to make it do it!!!!:eclipsee_

p fandango
Thursday 27th August 2009, 19:32
Just had a very disturbing image in my mind of the 1/4 mile run with Mr Ped going naked cause his clothes weigh too much.........:help:
thats just very very wrong, especially now the tinted windows have gone lol

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 19:56
Promise?

JelT5
Thursday 27th August 2009, 21:39

Disturbing is understatement of the millenium Alan :ices_rofl