PDA

View Full Version : 3.0ltr 960 advice

devreeze
Monday 24th August 2009, 02:14
im thinking of getting a 960, what should i look out for and whats the mpg like on these. any info at all would be great. thanks

gtiteen
Monday 24th August 2009, 09:34
We had one a long time back. From what i remember the only issue we had was the gearbox. Ended up breaking 2 of the auto ones. Not sure if its common or just our bad luck. The car wasnt that old though so not sure what they've aged like.

Not the most helpful post but every little..... oh mpg not great.

t5lover
Monday 24th August 2009, 11:03
my dads got a 3.0 cd estate and he loves it to bits it does better on fuel then my t5 does wayway better there a good motor just look for a good one thats been looked after your be having great fun good luck in your search mate,,,

Al115
Monday 24th August 2009, 11:21
Not sure about the fuel actually - they do like to drink - but if you can put up with that they are lovely, smooth motors. As a man on here once said, "it's like driving DFS"... :)

t5lover
Monday 24th August 2009, 14:19
Not sure about the fuel actually - they do like to drink - but if you can put up with that they are lovely, smooth motors. As a man on here once said, "it's like driving DFS"... :)

lol love it dfs lol

t5 pete
Monday 24th August 2009, 16:56
The mpg riding round town is normally around the 20 mark but then again it depends how you drive it, the main common problem with them is problems with the clyinder head needing to be skimmed normally around the 100k mark i did read into this but have forgot why it happens.
Also when looking at it make sure the nivo's rear shockers are in good condition as they are expensive new appart from that there a damm good car and im sure there the fastest uk rwd volvo made.

t5 stealth
Monday 24th August 2009, 18:27
the rear shox get tired & it drags its arse low to the floor,
you can replace the nivomat or self level things with normal rear shock absorbers but you have to change the rear leaf spring,
theres 2 types,1 for the nivomat level things & 1 heavy duty for the standard shock set up....but they are very very expensive....& to replace the rear leaf spring you have to remove the rear axle & subframe....quite involved & its a serious spring on the rear....

Al115
Monday 24th August 2009, 18:29
Weren't they the best part of 205 bhp or something crazy like that??

devreeze
Monday 24th August 2009, 22:40
great thanks peeps, ive seen a couple i like, still undecided wether to go back to a t5, ive got a 2002 v70 2.4 its boring my face off. thanks

smithy
Tuesday 25th August 2009, 16:35
great thanks peeps, ive seen a couple i like, still undecided wether to go back to a t5, ive got a 2002 v70 2.4 its boring my face off. thanks

i think the the rear suspension is irs on the v90 ,960 and the 3litre 24v is very tunable with a few simple mods 300 bhp no probs and no turbo so pure power off the start.and also they sound awesome with a exhaust ss system .also if you are mechanicly minded then by the 2.5 24v manual with bullit proof gearbox and stick 3litre 24v in that ,a few people have done this very powerful and no auto just fun.look on turbobricks.com for ideas hope this helps

sidmon
Wednesday 26th August 2009, 11:09
Head Gaskets (look for lumpy running and possibly coolant running next to exhaust manifold), PNP switches on autoboxes (flashing arrows on dash, not expensive fix...around £200 if you pay someone or £75 for the part if you do yourself), air con condensors, and as mentioned the suspension. Test by getting some weight in the boot with engine not having ran for a little while, then start engine and suspension should rise to correct level after a couple of minutes...if not then it's possibly on it's way out.

Check this US website out:

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/FAQSummary1.html

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 01:02
Weren't they the best part of 205 bhp or something crazy like that??

204bhp was the official figure..