PDA

View Full Version : Ball joints...

cherry1809
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 14:01
Went to change the suspension arms today and the driver side said no.
The bolt that holds the ball joint in place wouldn't budge. I've got the nut off easy but no amount of hammering would move the bolt.
Any trick to getting it out? Can't heat it up as it's right next to the CV boot.
I've had to put the old arm back in for now as I need the car next week.
Got the new springs on though, I'll bung some pics up soon.

Jamest5r
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 15:29
Had the same problem on one side of mine, industrial size ball joint splitter and a lump hammer-came out in the end:D

Tomcat
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 15:34
I have a ball joint splitter shaped like a big wedge shaped fork. You just insert it between the two things you want splitting and then knock hell out of it with a big hammer until it comes apart. Big hammers usually work best,lol!..

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 16:33
No, ball joint splitter won't work as the ball pin has a goove in it where the bolt sits. So the bolt HAS to come out first, before the pin will come out of the steering knuckle/hub.

I had the same problem when I did my clutch the first time. Eventually hafter a lot of hammering and loads (I mean loads) of WD40 it came loose. Then the ball pin was stuck! So I had to try and widen the clamp a tiny bit to get it loose.

It did come out in the end.

HTH

Tomcat
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 17:38
No, ball joint splitter won't work as the ball pin has a goove in it where the bolt sits. So the bolt HAS to come out first, before the pin will come out of the steering knuckle/hub.

I had the same problem when I did my clutch the first time. Eventually hafter a lot of hammering and loads (I mean loads) of WD40 it came loose. Then the ball pin was stuck! So I had to try and widen the clamp a tiny bit to get it loose.

It did come out in the end.

HTH

Lol, obviously the bolt needs to come out first, must have missed that part,lol. Only thing you can do is get a bigger hammer as it's not held in by anything after the nut has been removed, must be just rusted in place. Spray loads of WD40 on it, leave it to soak in for an hour or so then give it another hell of a bashing, just make sure you don't round the end of the bolt off otherwise you'll never get the nut back on it again. Might be best to just put the nut back on a couple of turns and hit the end of that until the bolt shifts, then remove it and tap the bolt out.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 17:45
My bolt has a flat unthreaded part on the end of it, for using a spanner I guess. I just walloped that, and then tidied it up afterwards with a grinder LOL.

I've treated all the suspension parts with anti-sieze stuff, and I've removed them many times now with no trouble at all.

cherry1809
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 17:59
Lol, obviously the bolt needs to come out first, must have missed that part,lol. Only thing you can do is get a bigger hammer as it's not held in by anything after the nut has been removed, must be just rusted in place. Spray loads of WD40 on it, leave it to soak in for an hour or so then give it another hell of a bashing, just make sure you don't round the end of the bolt off otherwise you'll never get the nut back on it again. Might be best to just put the nut back on a couple of turns and hit the end of that until the bolt shifts, then remove it and tap the bolt out.

Yeah I was doing that to start with and nearly killed the nut.
I ended up putting a 6" extension and socket on the nut and hitting that, As I couldn't quite get to it with the hammer. (No pit)
I'll give it another go tomorrow I think, It's quiet on he passenger side a least. LOL.
Got a good deal from my mate anyway, £63 all in for the pair.

nobananas
Saturday 22nd August 2009, 19:33
The first thing I usually do is try turning the seized bolt before beltin' the hell out of it !. Plenty of penetrating fluid then try rotating the seized bolt, an air gun helps to get it started if you have access to one then once it's turning it should punch out easily enough.