PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5, thoughts so far (after 2 days)

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 11:43
Well, loving the car, and the 54.2mpg (at the moment) Ive done 150 miles, mainly motorway, and the needle is just about still on the full marker :D

BUT!

The handbrake is AWFULL and comes up to my chin when i put it on :D
I presume it needs adjusting somehow.

The ride is a little harsher than the BM, and it feels..................wallowey on the motorway, likes it swaying at the rear a little....hard to explain.

The rain sensitive wipers took a fit today and went WAY too fast for the conditions (LOL) which was quite funny, but i still like them.

Sometimes on full lock, over cobbles or bumpy ground, it feels rattley at the front (Bushes???) but feels fine on normal road conditions.

The centre console cup holder cover has a pin snapped, so it lifts wonky. No big deal, but its going to get sorted ;)

Overall, a great car, and hopefully i can keep this longer than usual

princepugh
Thursday 20th August 2009, 12:09
There's an adjuster for the handbrake underneath the leather cowl at the base - you need to remove the plastic retainer from the centre console first. I had to have my handbrake pads roughed up to get it to work properly as it was useless at holding the car, works properly now.

thebadger
Thursday 20th August 2009, 12:21
Good stuff man!

The cup holder in the S60 is really one of the worst bits in or on the whole car! The designer should have been slapped (probably promoted due to the aftermarket parts sales tho!).

You may find the droplinks ar either gone or ar on their way out. Also might look at the steering limiters if it feels "wonky".

Getting it lowered changes the feel of the car at speed. But don't go too low or the cambers go a touch funny.

My handbrake was shot! The shoes had rusted & the pins had sheared so only engaging on one side & fouling the rear brakes on the other!

May want to have that looked at!

Bushes are always worth changing, especially if it's older than 5 years.

Top engine mount & the lower tie bar will make a nice difference.

Wishbone bushes too.

HTH

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 13:52
Nice one chaps, I will be following your advice ;)

I'll take a look at the handbrake at the weekend, and do the drop links, as their a peice of pi..............cake :D

Ohhhh, one thing i do miss.......CUBBY HOLES!!!!! There's hardly any :( I need one for my loose change, my sunglasses, bit n bobs! Might convert that stupid cup holder ;)

thebadger
Thursday 20th August 2009, 14:09
The V70 has options for the cup holders & other bits & bobs, I had a flat plate which plod must have had a radio in.

Switched for the joint cup holders.

Have you thought of the pocket in the front of the seat?

p fandango
Thursday 20th August 2009, 14:16
Ohhhh, one thing i do miss.......CUBBY HOLES!!!!! There's hardly any :( I need one for my loose change, my sunglasses, bit n bobs! Might convert that stupid cup holder ;)
after recieving someadvice i used a pop-rivet to replace the broken pin on the centre console lid

i've got a genuine Volvo sunglasses holder for sale if your interested

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1518/pictureobw.jpg

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 14:32
The V70 has options for the cup holders & other bits & bobs, I had a flat plate which plod must have had a radio in.

Switched for the joint cup holders.

Have you thought of the pocket in the front of the seat?

Ive seen that. That be handy for putting my wallet in, and then forgetting where i put the bloody thing ;)

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 14:39
after recieving someadvice i used a pop-rivet to replace the broken pin on the centre console lid

i've got a genuine Volvo sunglasses holder for sale if your interested

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1518/pictureobw.jpg

Ohh, Im might have a go at that. Thanks for the Sunglasses thing, but i'll just stick them in my glove box ;) Ebay it, Im sure it'll sell

Jaseb77
Thursday 20th August 2009, 19:48
as has been said drop links or top mounts could be the clunk

Hand brake if its not shot, and the pads have fell apart inside the hub, 10mil spanner adjuster under gaiter in car. try that first. P2 have a weird roll back on hills etc on the handbrake before it'll grip, takes a bit to get used to.

wallowy, lower it on eibach springs helps a lot

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 20:51
Hand brake if its not shot, and the pads have fell apart inside the hub, 10mil spanner adjuster under gaiter in car. try that first. P2 have a weird roll back on hills etc on the handbrake before it'll grip, takes a bit to get used to.

wallowy, lower it on eibach springs helps a lot

I lifted the gaiter up, but couldnt see any adjusters??? Have i got to take the whole console out??? Any pics ;) The handbrake works ok, but the lever is nearly vertical when it kicks in.

And yeahhh, why the hell does the car roll back before it grips??? Weird

Liddo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 21:15
Just check on the "other" forum ;) and i need to look under a little flap apparantly. Theres a 10mm nut that it adjust. Will take another look tomorrow although, mine seems to have a sensor at the back of the lever???

;)

Jaseb77
Friday 21st August 2009, 10:44
"And yeahhh, why the hell does the car roll back before it grips??? Weird"

Gap in the hub where hand brake shoes go , in older Volvo's i think there was a wee sort of spacer to stop the sort of lunge back then grip when using handbrake.

oh yeah, I park mine in gear at all times anyway

thebadger
Friday 21st August 2009, 11:02
The sensor is just the handbrake warning light switch.

Liddo
Friday 21st August 2009, 11:24
The sensor is just the handbrake warning light switch.

So the screw/nut is under that?? or at the front of the handbrake??

thebadger
Friday 21st August 2009, 11:40
Nope, slide the "Gaiter" off the hand brake, its halfway down the handle on the drivers side.

Basically it looks like a Jubilee screw head (hexed & crossed) which you can adjust the tension with.

Liddo
Friday 21st August 2009, 13:10
Nope, slide the "Gaiter" off the hand brake, its halfway down the handle on the drivers side.

Basically it looks like a Jubilee screw head (hexed & crossed) which you can adjust the tension with.

Ohhh ok. could of sworn it wasnt there last night. will take another look. Cheers ;)

Liddo
Friday 21st August 2009, 14:25
Arrgghhhhhhhhh, found it! ;)

Pull up shroud over lever, then lift up the plastic flap below it, and her presto

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=177&pictureid=1263

It only comes up 2 notches now instead of 30! Cheers guys, helpfull as ever :D

Jaseb77
Friday 21st August 2009, 14:27
if your struggling to pinpoint it,

I'll whip mine out and photo it for you :mischievo :biggrin:

Liddo
Friday 21st August 2009, 14:56
if your struggling to pinpoint it,

I'll whip mine out and photo it for you :mischievo :biggrin:

OOooooerrrrr missus

See above ^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

thebadger
Friday 21st August 2009, 15:09
I think his is more impressive than yours!

*can we guess who that was directed at?

Liddo
Friday 21st August 2009, 15:41
I think his is more impressive than yours!

*can we guess who that was directed at?

Probably me, mine isnt that impressive :(

:D

thebadger
Friday 21st August 2009, 16:16
It's not the size of the nail that counts, it's how you swing the hammer!