PDA

View Full Version : Calling All HLM Re-Map Owners!

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:12
Hi there guys!

I know there have been loads of posts regarding the different types of re-map, but I am only interested in one.....the HLM special!

Someone you might have read my other post regarding my birthday coming up, and my GF giving me a choice of gift. Seems like I might be going for one of these ECUs, but I'd like some "real-life" advice before I go and take the plunge.

Should I go 280 or 304? What are your experiences of this re-map? What is it like to live with everyday? Any downsides to it? Any horror stories regarding it? Anything else I should know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Tomcat
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:19
If your going to do it then you might as well go the whole hog and get the 304, the only difference being that if you run the 304 on standard unleaded you wont get the same performance, it needs super (Pref 98 ron or higher). I've had two remaps from HLM now on two different cars, the first one was the full price one, the second the current "Cheaper" version, tbh I can't tell any difference (Cos there aint any). You get plenty of bang for your buck and day to day running costs are about the same (except when your foots welded to the floor), I've never heard of any horror stories from the standard remap(before everyone starts moaning) but have heard loads of praise for it.

No I don't work for HLM, these are my own personal opinions based soley on previous experience.

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:27
It seems to be a grey area as to what exactly the "hlm remap " is. Some say it's a dodgy copy off an original Rica but as hlm arn't rica dealers anymore , they call it there own.
I had an original Rica304 on my old t-5r and never had a problem with it in all the time i had the car. It was quite aggresive but seemed to run out of puff at around 5000rpm.

Also the 304 map had to run on v power, the 280 didn't have to.

If the hlm is basically the rica, then imo for the money it's very good value.

splatt
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:33
As it happens, I have a 304 going up for sale (off my ~T5R) very soon if I can get a replacement ECU (the weekend beckons!!) Save yourself some cash for other mods...buy mine at a fraction of the cost!

regards
Pat

splatt
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:37
Also the 304 map had to run on v power, the 280 didn't have to.

not strictly true, to get the very best out of it higher octane is better but it will run very happily on 95...

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:37
As it happens, I have a 304 going up for sale (off my ~T5R) very soon if I can get a replacement ECU (the weekend beckons!!) Save yourself some cash for other mods...buy mine at a fraction of the cost!

regards
Pat

Would it fit a 1994 standard Turbo manual without air con?

AlanG
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:38
Hey buddy,TC sums it up well. Had mine a few months now although mine is the 280. Best advice is to give Hamish a call. He will be only too happy to answer any qs. The 304 map is apparently more ferocious but Hamish strongly recommended the higher octane fuel to ensure the engine's safety and to maximise the benefits. The 280 will run on either and is very powerful/torquey from almost idle speed. Economy is noticeably improved and it runs like a Swiss watch. Be aware though. The vacuum pipes,turbo seals and pcv will all be under much greater stresses due to the increased boost pressures so advisable to make sure your T5 is fit and well before any re-map. Noone seems certain of the true outputs of these maps but was told by Hamish 265-270bhp on a fit car with the 280. As for the 304?? Would recommend it to every T5 owner mate. By the way,I fitted an mbc also just for that wee bit extra.....HTH.:biggrin:

AlanG
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:43
not strictly true, to get the very best out of it higher octane is better but it will run very happily on 95...

As long as you drive it gently,yes. Hamish was very clear on the phone about that. The man is no fool and certainly won't want customers claiming him for holed pistons due to pinking/detonation. 304 needs 98RON to be safe.

splatt
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:51
Would it fit a 1994 standard Turbo manual without air con?

I will let the experts argue that one for ever,

basically, as long as yours is a Bosch motronic4.3 fuel system then the answer is yes.
The aircon thing seems to come up often but AFAIK it makes no difference. RICA remap switched aircon off on boost to reduce load and allow response (so I read).

Am getting an ECU at the weekend hopefully so my RICA 304 will be up for grabs.

Waits for the crossfire lol :haha:

DuncVolvoTurbo
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 21:51
I only run my car and bike on Shell V-Power, so there wouldn't be an issue in getting the 304 then. I've changed the plugs, PCV, distributor cap, rotor arm, oil & filter less than 1500miles ago. I've upgraded the panel filter, exhaust, and HT leads, so there shouldn't be an issue with that either. :)

splatt
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 22:01
I have run mine on all sorts since I had the remap. No real power loss and still boosts past the end stop of the guage.
Dunc. Do some reaserch and if you want to save some cash let me know. If I still have it when the car goes we can do a deal.
Regards
Pat

paulsimon
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 22:11
I had this done on mine. Came out with 50WHP more than I went in with. I'm happy with what I got and thought I had good VFM.

The only downside was the chippy round the corner. If they had seved this small large fish up in Essex it would have been returned as a flying fish. However, I got the largest portion of chips I can recall seeing.

I did a 300 mile + round trip and recommend them.

PaulZX
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 22:24
I'm gonna get a remap to bring the fuelling into line, but if it wasn't for the fuelling, then I wouldn't bother.... Mine's quick enough as it is.....

but that's the choice... lots of engine work, or short-cut it, and get a map...

Murphy
Thursday 20th August 2009, 09:49
It was quite aggresive but seemed to run out of puff at around 5000rpm.

Surely that is down to the turbo. I have had a few T5's and a P1 V70R. The 850's all had 15g's and were punchy through the mid range, but tailed off top end. The V70 also had a RICA310 [IIRC] but with the 18T was more linear and pulled hard beyond 4500 to red line. I would say it was the restriction of your turbo rather than the remap.

pigfight
Thursday 20th August 2009, 15:34
hi splatt,
ive pmd you.

AlanG
Thursday 20th August 2009, 15:59
Seems to be quite a few on here with issues regarding power tailing off at around 5500rpm. Strange. I have no clue as to why this might be but mine bounces of the limiter if I get over-enthusiastic. There are no engine mods,just HLM 280,K&N panel filter and a light influence from an R-Spec MBC in-line with the factory BCS. Strange indeed.

cameron
Thursday 20th August 2009, 16:17
I was undecided on which map to go for the 280 or the 304 as i have an auto, however i got there and after talking to Hamish, who really knows his stuff by the way ( although he can be arrogant with it ) i opted for the 304 full on bad boy map :D

To say the trip home was quick is an understatement, and ive seen the north side of 155mph on a private runway of course ;) so it makes a huge difference, the car used to run out at 143mph but now it just keeps pulling till the red line and beyond without let up, no running out of puff in this chariot :yikes:

Mid range it scares standard scooby and evo drivers, and 40 - 70 is very quick indeed, press the sports button and its a whole new ball game, it doesnt go into top gear until its hitting 110mph, its bloody bonkers mate :D

I wouldnt change it for the world and every time i plant my foot in the floor, im grinning from ear to ear, happy days mate :D

Fuel consumption is slightly up about 20mpg round town and about 35mpg on a run @ 70 - 75 mph, although ive had it as high as 41 mpg sitting at 60mph on a 55 mile run to blackpool with me and the mrs and 5 kids and a whole load of picnic stuff in there as well :B_thumb:

Id reccomend Hamish and HLM to anybody, no worries or hesitation whatsover.

Go for the 304 dunc then that way you wont have the " yeah but what if i had " syndrome :D

Make your choice and enjoy, it'll be the best £150 you'll spend this side of Crimbo anyway.

Jamest5r
Thursday 20th August 2009, 17:22
Hello mate, just as all the above have said, ive had 2 of hlm, first nearly 6 yrs ago a 304, my mrs has had that car for the last 4 yrs and never had a problem and thats on 95 fuel she put 97 in for the first time a few weeks back to go to york raceway no problems, got mine done about 5 months ago (cheap version) and there is NO difference, but what i do know is that my mrs 850 is no a/c mine is with i tried swapping the ecu before i got mine done and it did not work, dont think you can get a better test than that.
P.s its the best mod for the money you will not be disappointed

Storm-Troll
Thursday 20th August 2009, 18:08
I second that.. HLM all the way... never had a problem with anything they have done onver the years... i had a 310 remap on my previous car.. an S70R... still owned and running great by Joe Lounge on here... im gettin ready to go get a special Hybrid remap soon.... bigger turbo etc etc blah blah so will be better than the 310. i have been for a test drive in a car with the Hybrid remap and its awsome....cant wait to hand over the keys for the next jobby...

Torch S70R
Thursday 20th August 2009, 21:06
had the 304 on mine and it gets very addictive :D
one thing to watch out for tho is if you boot it in the lower gears it can bite with some arm wrenching torque steer :P

crasin
Thursday 20th August 2009, 21:47
Just had a HLM remap done in last 2 weeks not had time to post up about but thought this was perfect time to!

Turned late afternoon on friday and although he was due to close within the next hour or so.....still let me have a rolling road and repaired some vac pipes that i have missed which he spotted straight away! I believe i am running the 304 as was told to run with super as much as humaly possible and although mine did not give a huge huge gain overall i did gain massivly midrange about 60whp @ 3500rpm which i am very pleased with as thats the sort of rev range i use

All i would say is pay the extra for rolling road (as you can see before and after figures i had 4 power runs till we were happy)go along have chat and he can and will answer all your questions cannot praise him enough best money i have spent to date on my volvo t5!

THANKS AGAIN HAMISH!

(did have to change my spark plugs when got home to iridiums as was possibly blowing the spark out experimenting on way home!)

Crasin

DuncVolvoTurbo
Thursday 20th August 2009, 22:05
All i would say is pay the extra for rolling road (as you can see before and after figures i had 4 power runs till we were happy)go along have chat and he can and will answer all your questions cannot praise him enough best money i have spent to date on my volvo t5!

Crasin

As Bromsgrove is a wee bit far away from me, then going into HLM isn't really an option, I'll just have to go for the postal route.

You guys are definitely convincing me to go for it though! :firedevil

AlanG
Thursday 20th August 2009, 23:07
All sorted in 2 days mate by recorded delivery (Royal Mail) for about a tenner. Remember your first blo*job? It's a bit like that when you drive it for the first time after it's mapped. Go for it mate :banana: