PDA

View Full Version : remaining mileage malfunction ?

jackal2513
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 11:36
second ever run in my t5 this morning.... car starts jerking and having no power out of corners. Classic case of no petrol. Thing is the computer was saying 20 miles left ? Lucky I was able to coast to a nearby garage.

Could the computer be faulty ? Car is runinng standard rims and tyres.

thanks

GuyD5
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 11:49
with only 20 miles showing you could well be picking up muck out of the tank, the computer is only a rough guide and depends on the previous several seconds or so of driving-style :)

Is it running better now with a full tank of petrol?

BagR
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 11:50
second ever run in my t5 this morning.... car starts jerking and having no power out of corners. Classic case of no petrol. Thing is the computer was saying 20 miles left ? Lucky I was able to coast to a nearby garage.

Could the computer be faulty ? Car is runinng standard rims and tyres.

thanks

i fell into this trap as well 3 days after getting her. Said i had 30miles left when it starting loosing power. Weaved from side to side and it seemed to help to get me to the nearest petrol station!

lesson learned!!

swordy21
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 12:17
Happened to me yesterday, 15 mi on the OBC and lost all power in the outside lane of the M4. Was going up a hill to Jn17 - just managed to kangaroo it into Leigh Delamare and put in a minimal amount of manky overpriced Esso 97 Ron. Second time now in a week - you'd have thought I'd learned my lesson - NOT

jackal2513
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 12:22
i wondor why this is so

my last car was accurate down to the last 5 miles... never ran out

steveT5
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 12:36
I have never run mine below 35m, i wouldn't trust the acuracy tbh

V8guitar
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 15:10
I have run mine on zero for 20 miles, so they are a guide, not 100% accurate. Not sure how they work ( help here fellas) but my petrol gauge is sticking and seems to throw the remaining milage calculator...

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 15:45
Mine always runs out with "30 left to go" - so I just work it on that.

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 17:14
Having had a lot of bikes with no fuel gauges and having pushed most of them to filling stations i never let mine get below quarter of a tank as you never know when you might get stuck in traffic for hours (my wife was stuck for six hours in the snow on the m5 last feb anyone else in brum remember)or have to drive extra miles.Pushing bikes was hard work i think my T5 would be harder.
Rich

M44K TS
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 19:03
i better fill my dads up asap, his is showing 15 miles left :rolling_e

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 22:35
I have to date run out of fuel - twice. :slap:
First time I was trying to be cheeky and get to a shell. I ran out of juice on the M5 about 1/4 mile past Frankley services between jnc 3 and 4. I walked back, climbed up the embankment and tried to get to the services. Hereford and Worcestershires finest pulled up behind me (I was walking on the hard shoulder by this point), I had just reached the 100yard marker. To say they were not impressed would be an understatement. I was lucky not to get booked. LOL. Bless'em - they still drove me back after I had filled a can. I think they were impressed. They were only in a V6 Omega.

Second time - not so long back, I had a play with a 3.2 Audi - full story confessed here... http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1666 and ran out with 600 yards to go.

That's why I am wobbly!