PDA

View Full Version : Turning Circle

MarcusK
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 08:32
Hi,

Is it normal that my C70 has a turning circle of a supertanker?

It also makes rather alarming noises when on full lock? I had the front tyres changed a little while back so wonder whether this has anything to do with balancing or similar?

I also have a stone chip on one of the front lights...anybody have an idea on how much these are to change? Can you also get light protectors for the C70?

Sorry...lots of questions!

Thanks

Marcus.

k690bpp
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 14:09
yep the turning circle is s**t.

the noise your getting might be dry steering stops, instructions on how to sort them here: http://www.volvospeed.com/steerstops.php

volvo part numbers for the foglights are:

right - 8620230
left - 8620227

no idea how much though and i don't think you can't get protectors for them.

but protectors for the headlamps can be bought from volvo using part number 9488979 again i don't know how much.

Al115
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 14:41
In my opinion, headlamp protectors are well worth getting. Inexpensive (particularly in relation to the cost of a replacement headlamp glass) and they're not intrusive.

I bought mine from the Volvo Owners Club, significantly cheaper than buying from a main dealer although you have to join. I'm sure there are other sources as well?

Alastair

V8guitar
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 15:07
Hi,

Is it normal that my C70 has a turning circle of a supertanker?

It also makes rather alarming noises when on full lock? I had the front tyres changed a little while back so wonder whether this has anything to do with balancing or similar?

I also have a stone chip on one of the front lights...anybody have an idea on how much these are to change? Can you also get light protectors for the C70?

Sorry...lots of questions!

Thanks

Marcus.

Feel lucky Marcus, as I suspect your turning circle is better than my P2 V70!!!Apparently its the biggest complaint the cops have and some people are getting wise with quick U turns and the cops have to have a couple of goes to turn around....

mat562be
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 18:08
Yes. It's official. Volvo turning circles rival the Amoco Cadiz...

Both cars at work (V70Ns) and my own car (a V70N) suffer from an appalling turning circle and, due to the 17" wheels and 225 section tyres, suffer an alarming rubbing on the inner arches when on full lock (i.e. whenever you do any maneouvre whatsoever.)

Volvo say that the rubbing of the sidewall on the inner arch is entirely normal and will not affect the tyres one iota...

p fandango
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 18:36
Volvo say that the rubbing of the sidewall on the inner arch is entirely normal and will not affect the tyres one iota...
i may be wrong but i understood it was an instant MOT failure if your tyre catches on anything?

mat562be
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 19:40
I should know this... but I don't.

I'll find out...

If it is the case, all my force's Volvos are on for MOT failures (at least the ones with 17" alloys) since they are owned and maintained by a private leasing company and are subject to MOTs like everyone else's....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 22:27
Yes. It's official. Volvo turning circles rival the Amoco Cadiz...

Both cars at work (V70Ns) and my own car (a V70N) suffer from an appalling turning circle and, due to the 17" wheels and 225 section tyres, suffer an alarming rubbing on the inner arches when on full lock (i.e. whenever you do any maneouvre whatsoever.)

They have defo gotten bigger with age. My old 740 used to turn on a postage stamp. 850 is not soo bad. The C70 then starts and the P2 V70s take the glory!

siamblue
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 22:37
My S70 isn't bad at all for turning circles.Better using the handbrake though :jaw:

MarcusK
Friday 3rd June 2005, 16:48
Thanks for all the responses and specific part numbers - very useful.

I don't feel so bad now given that everyone seems to be in the same boat (or should that be supertanker) when it comes to turning circle or lack of it.

Marcus.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd June 2005, 23:56
Take heart from the fact you have a hand built car that goes like stink. OK so you might not be able to turn slowly on the spot - but you will be able to dust most things on the road!

D5R
Sunday 12th June 2005, 11:07
bizarrely - if you went for a bigger car - the Turning circle is improved - try an S80

After_Shock
Sunday 12th June 2005, 12:16
The worst turning circle of any of the Volvos is easily the XC90, tried parking one at work and nearly hit the car three spaces down it is that bad, makes the C70 look good when turning!

The banging noises on the C70 when on full lock are on all of them, mine used to do it and all the 05 reg cabrio's at work do it aswell.

Adge
Friday 12th May 2006, 20:54
yep the turning circle is s**t.

the noise your getting might be dry steering stops, instructions on how to sort them here: http://www.volvospeed.com/steerstops.php

volvo part numbers for the foglights are:

right - 8620230
left - 8620227

no idea how much though and i don't think you can't get protectors for them.

but protectors for the headlamps can be bought from volvo using part number 9488979 again i don't know how much.

Thanks for the tips on steering stops. I thought I was in for the expense of drive shafts. Grease solved the problem!

Rufe
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 18:23
yeah i greased mine up today after they were sounding very dry, now sounds perfect. think the NS one may need changing at some point as the tyre has been scrubbing on the liner, but the noise is gone now, just by using a handfull of grease and a 2 minute job. its the volvo recomended fix anyhow.

welshboy
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 20:53
How do you crease the drive shafts. Think my off side is making a funny noise.

Tony

Rufe
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 21:47
you grease the steering limiter mate, the car can be on the floor to do this, with wheel still on. you turn the wheel to full lock, then look in behind the wheel that is turned out, (so full lock left, go to front of left wheel), then liberally apply thick grease all over the limiter. turn to other side lock, and repeat for the other side... literally a 2 minute, one spanner job (in Haynes terms lol - no spanners actually needed), but it will no doubt need to be done again in the future, once grease has gone again.

this pic is from the link allready in this post, but its a good one:
http://www.volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/steeringstops.jpg

the two circled areas rub together on full lock, causing the uncomfortable noise, grease up the limiter (the one one the left in that pic), and that should stop the noise.

works like a dream, got some funny looks as i manouvered around the car park and it made the noise, now both sides are done its right as rain :)

welshboy
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 21:56
Thanks Rufe for the great detailed how-too.

I also think my of-side drive shaft is wearing. It makes funny intermitent noise every 2 secs at high speed. sounds like a rubbing noise but, its not constant.

tony

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 11:01
T/C aint great - and the shameful thing is it gets worse on the S60 and V70 phase 2s!!

dave854
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 09:44
Does anyone know what steering stop i would need on my P1 V70 to stop tyre scrubbage?! I've since gone to 225s on the front which I have found don't fit when on full lock! I've read somewhere that ou can change the steering stops to the ones fitted to the C70s - I now understand why going on the discussion above! If anyone has a part number or even has a spare set that would be great! :) otherwise i'll see what light Vadis can shed on the situation

Cheers

AlanG
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 15:49
Something else to check would be the anti-roll bar drop-links. They dry out and can creak. £10 or less from motor factor per side and a doddle to replace. Oh yeah and the Exon Valdis turned tighter than my bro's C70!