PDA

View Full Version : pattern front arms ?

martybelfastt5
Monday 17th August 2009, 13:12
read last night on a post that these can throw the line up of the front of my car badly only thing is my car failed mot basicly on two r three of the bushes on the front arms i was going to buy these today from gsf at a reasonable 55 quid each,,any 1 experinced this?

martybelfastt5
Monday 17th August 2009, 13:29
ok small update im just going pattern as i was told they retail 125 each annd wont be in stolk until next mon from my local volvo dealer,,,

walter leever
Monday 17th August 2009, 16:31
ok small update im just going pattern as i was told they retail 125 each annd wont be in stolk until next mon from my local volvo dealer,,,

You mean your triangles/wishbones?

If so get Meyle's.

Wombatbomb
Monday 17th August 2009, 16:42
False economy, the pattern version usually only last about 12 months before the rubber deteriorates. They can be gotten for a lot less than £125 each from Rufe, or if your car is fitted with the standard 2-bolt arms then you can just replace the bushes.

martybelfastt5
Monday 17th August 2009, 18:34
yes wishbones,,i have bought pattern ones im going to take the original one and poly bush ect if there is a kit available or just keep in mind i need to replace them with volvo ones at some point just want her motd as quick as i can

smudgethecat
Monday 17th August 2009, 20:10
False economy, the pattern version usually only last about 12 months before the rubber deteriorates. They can be gotten for a lot less than £125 each from Rufe, or if your car is fitted with the standard 2-bolt arms then you can just replace the bushes.

totally agree, i stupidly bought some scam tech arms a while ago, total crap lasted about 12k,finally bought some genuine items off rufe, still going strong 40k later

nobananas
Monday 17th August 2009, 21:42
I fitted one pattern arm a few years ago (with my polybushes from the arm it was replacing) and found that the steering wheel was 45 degrees out afterwards. A tracking check confirmed it was off the scale and setting the tracking by just altering the side that the arm had been replaced on meant that the track rod end would have been quite close to it's safe 'thread' limit (it came off a week later) I've also used pattern bushes and they only lasted 5 months and also caused me to replace both front and rear brakes twice whilst trying to track down a braking judder that turned out to be tha damn bushes again !!... I'm not saying all pattern arms are the same but I would favor a good used item or a genuine new Volvo item (if I could afford it) over a pattern one any day.

walter leever
Monday 17th August 2009, 21:45
totally agree, i stupidly bought some scam tech arms a while ago, total crap lasted about 12k,finally bought some genuine items off rufe, still going strong 40k later

And as i said the originals are good but expensive:bounce:

Please do try Meyle wishbones(125 euros a set)and thos are even stronger(bushes),i've got this tip from the Dutch volvo forum,where about half of the members drive with these(try and you'll know,just a tip for you guys:funkybana)

gr,walter

Ps i've got nothing to do with this company,affiliation..............lol

cherry1809
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 08:44
I've got the same problem.
I had an advisory last year on the front suspension arms (Assuming they meant the wishbones) Couldn't I just replace the bushes with poly? I've been quoted £35 a side + VAT, But no idea what make they are. I can get a poly bush kit for about £65.

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 09:44
I've got the same problem.
I had an advisory last year on the front suspension arms (Assuming they meant the wishbones) Couldn't I just replace the bushes with poly? I've been quoted £35 a side + VAT, But no idea what make they are. I can get a poly bush kit for about £65.

Provided you have the standard, 2 bolt arms then yes, you can replace just the bushes. If you have the "uprated" 4 bolt arms (fitted to Plod/diesel/AWD/R/C70 cars) then you have to replace the entire arms, unless you order a set of JERD bushes from Sweden.

cherry1809
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 10:03
Yeah I read that somewhere.
Do you mean the mounting points? What am I looking for in the differences?
If they are 2 bolt, I had my eye on these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330344148259&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cherry1809
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 10:18
Just been out and checked and it looks (a bit) like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/cherry1809/untitled.jpg

Just 1 bolt in each mount and the ball joint on the bottom of the strut, Nothing else.

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 10:47
have a look at these two links for comparison pictures......

Standard:

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=3212

Uprated:

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=3389

cherry1809
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 13:53
Cool, Just the standard type it is.

cameron
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 16:14
I thought mine were the uprated ones for turbo cars, was looking for the wishbones for a turbo car but it seems the wishbones on my car are non turbo wishbones :confused:

Whats the story with that?

Do they sell them differently to get more money for them or what?

Is it easier / more cost effective just to replace the bushes rather than the whole units?

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 17:24
i couldnt replace just the bushes as one of the balljoints needed done which means complete arm/wishbone just thought may as wll change them both, geting fitted tomorrow so il let yous know how whell alingment issuse go,,,

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 19:15
I thought mine were the uprated ones for turbo cars, was looking for the wishbones for a turbo car but it seems the wishbones on my car are non turbo wishbones

The upgraded one's are for Plod/Diesel/R/AWD/C70 models. All other 850/P1's, turbo or not, got the standard one's.

walter leever
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 20:30
Look this is the actual bill for a set:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k390/Walterleever/DSC00132.jpg

Hope this helps,walter

nobananas
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:23
i couldnt replace just the bushes as one of the balljoints needed done which means complete arm/wishbone just thought may as wll change them both, geting fitted tomorrow so il let yous know how whell alingment issuse go,,,

Just make sure they actually DO check the tracking, many garages will just slap 'em on !. Also might be worth having the Camber checked as well as any difference in the wishbones overall dimensions may well throw the camber out a few minutes.

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:55
Just make sure they actually DO check the tracking, many garages will just slap 'em on !. Also might be worth having the Camber checked as well as any difference in the wishbones overall dimensions may well throw the camber out a few minutes.

Couple of years ago on a dark,flooded road I lost my n/s/f wheel down a pothole. Egged my columba (£45 to repair) and come MOT a week or so later,learned that the bottom wishbone was ££££ed aswell as the droplink. Trusting the same chap I had been using for years,I said go ahead. Was a pattern part,can't remember how much but the steering wheel was offset to the right by about 80 degrees. Robbed blind.
Moral of the story.....If at all possible,do it yourself.

nobananas
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 22:15
Couple of years ago on a dark,flooded road I lost my n/s/f wheel down a pothole. Egged my columba (£45 to repair) and come MOT a week or so later,learned that the bottom wishbone was ££££ed aswell as the droplink. Trusting the same chap I had been using for years,I said go ahead. Was a pattern part,can't remember how much but the steering wheel was offset to the right by about 80 degrees. Robbed blind.
Moral of the story.....If at all possible,do it yourself.

Even worse if you have a pair, the wheel will be spot on but the tracking out a mile, if you don't notice it by the way it drives the first you'll know is having to have a pair of tires up front !