PDA

View Full Version : She wants some TLC and i'm skint...

850 t5 vs 600cc
Saturday 15th August 2009, 23:20
Been at my new job 5 weeks now and the car wants some TLC, I think the car thinks it deserves it. I checked the tyre pressures on Friday as it felt bouncy. I noticed that the drivers side tyre was looking bold on the edges so when i got home i jacked up the front of the car to check the suspension.
Both wishbone's need replacing as there is play in both, both drop links need replacing and because of this, a new tyre so i might as well get 2. Just need to find a 5 number winning lottery ticket so i can get the rest of the work done as well. ( new clutch, pcv and tax 09/09 ) All in all i will be spending about £900 and thats what i paid for it a year ago. :snail:

Tomcat
Saturday 15th August 2009, 23:22
That sounds all too familiar, fortunately at the moment the cars behaving itself, however I've got the tax due at the end of the month and the MOT at the end of next month......

smudgethecat
Sunday 16th August 2009, 13:56
thats the problem with running old bangers, a even a modest amount of work can cost more than the things worth

AlanG
Sunday 16th August 2009, 19:42
Steady Smudge.........these are future CLASSICS!! And my bloomin't tax is up very soon too.......Oh bugger!!:cry:

nobananas
Sunday 16th August 2009, 22:02
My sympathize mate but I think you could get her sorted for a lot less than 900 quid. Personally I wouldn't touch pattern arms on an 850 (had one before and it threw the geometry out something terrible !) but I have fitted second hand ones before (the balljoints last for ages) from a newer v70 and polybushed them and several years later they are still going strong. Drop links are dead cheap from GSF or PFV as long as you don't expect them to last forever and as for tyres don't be afraid of middle price range tyres as there are a lot of good makes out there for a fraction of the price of the big brands. I was a die hard Pirelli fan but on the Volvo they weren't lasting long. I then changed to Goodyears and finally I'm running Nexen 6000's and to be honest I can't tell the difference in terms of wet and dry weather grip so I'm happy to stick with them, especially as the T5 is the wifes car and she travels 70 odd miles a day in it so any make of tyre doesn't seem to last that long !

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th August 2009, 23:21
Steady Smudge.........these are future CLASSICS!! :

future classics :hilarious:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

t5lover
Sunday 16th August 2009, 23:56
future classics :hilarious:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

lol so why aint they a future classic then,

MIKESC70T5
Monday 17th August 2009, 08:11
lol so why aint they a future classic then,

The t-5r and r models maybe, but not anything else. Volvos don't have a huge following, so not many people would think of a Volvo as a "classic"

Just my opinion.

t5lover
Monday 17th August 2009, 09:03
The t-5r and r models maybe, but not anything else. Volvos don't have a huge following, so not many people would think of a Volvo as a "classic"

Just my opinion.

maybe your right but the t5-r and r will the sort after but the real rare ones will be the standard ones really as people like to strip or scrap them i have had this with a rover sd1 the sort after one is the vitesse twin plenum which i have loads of and that was worth nothing but u say a old sd1 3500 early one well the price is endless,, it be the same with volvos mate that my opinon lol,,

anyway mate i think 900quid to sort your 850 out is a bit tomuch in my option its a shame u live to far away i could do that for loads less then 900quid lol good luck anyway mate

nobananas
Monday 17th August 2009, 21:48
The trouble is with 'classic' cars is you never know what will be sought after until they are all gone. Even the Austin Allegro has a cult following and they were pretty awful !. I used to run Fiat 126's (the air cooled ones not that useless BIS monstrosity) at one point I had 5 because people used to GIVE them to me. Now when I look on ebay I've seen some of them going for a couple of grand and that's in the space of 10 years.

j@mie
Monday 17th August 2009, 22:14

Just my opinion.

totally agree.

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 00:31
Lads,the 850 T5,regardless of model will always have a following. It was a benchmark,was the first Volvo used by the UK police as a pursuit vehicle and as such has respect. T5,T5R or R makes no difference. Granted the latter two in good condition will command higher prices but in essence they are all the one car and a very desirable one. What are becoming rare now are the basic cars. I see very few of the original and best now but when I do they tend to be T5s as they are conniseurs cars and have been saved for that reason. Who wants a 2.0 10V with 126bhp and 1 1/2 ton to pull with one electric mirror and a poverty interior? Just my opinion.. A T5 is just that. They carried on where Audi left off and did a damned good job. Personally speaking,I hate alcantara,that hideous light wood dash trim and that ridiculous two-tone steering wheel on the R's. Mine is a T5 CD with options inc multi-changer,pass,a/bag,r/spoiler to name some. Cost £28,000 from new and is still as good as the day it was delivered. Sometimes wonder if there is some kind of hierarchy on here. A T5 is a T5 regardless,they're all future classics.

t5lover
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 10:58
Lads,the 850 T5,regardless of model will always have a following. It was a benchmark,was the first Volvo used by the UK police as a pursuit vehicle and as such has respect. T5,T5R or R makes no difference. Granted the latter two in good condition will command higher prices but in essence they are all the one car and a very desirable one. What are becoming rare now are the basic cars. I see very few of the original and best now but when I do they tend to be T5s as they are conniseurs cars and have been saved for that reason. Who wants a 2.0 10V with 126bhp and 1 1/2 ton to pull with one electric mirror and a poverty interior? Just my opinion.. A T5 is just that. They carried on where Audi left off and did a damned good job. Personally speaking,I hate alcantara,that hideous light wood dash trim and that ridiculous two-tone steering wheel on the R's. Mine is a T5 CD with options inc multi-changer,pass,a/bag,r/spoiler to name some. Cost £28,000 from new and is still as good as the day it was delivered. Sometimes wonder if there is some kind of hierarchy on here. A T5 is a T5 regardless,they're all future classics.

with u on that mate,,

jez.w
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 11:15

I have to agree with you on the R interiors and the light coloured wood, they look terrible in my opinion, and full leather looks far better. I would prefer the CD spec any day. The R does have better wheels and front bumper though!!!!! All T5's will be future classics 100%, just need to wait 20 years or so and there wont be many left, doesnt matter what the car is.

cameron
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 13:12
I have to agree with you on the R interiors and the light coloured wood, they look terrible in my opinion, and full leather looks far better. I would prefer the CD spec any day. The R does have better wheels and front bumper though!!!!!

Haha thats why i have a T5 CD with R front and T5R wheels ;)

These cars i think will always have a following, the amount of people that comment on my car is good, not just because they know me and all the effort i put into her to keep her tidy, but they remember the BTCC days and the first comment that they usually use is " ooohhh they are quick thats why the police used them "

Some Asian guy stopped me in Sainsburys petrol station the other day ( i was filling her with Super 99 ) and offered to buy it of me, i asked him for how much and he said £2k :D

Now if i didnt love my car so much i would have snapped his hand off, i'll always have a T5 an 850 if they are still about in a few years time but if i have to go for a V70 then so be it.

The 850 T5 is an iconic car of the past and always will be! loved by the old and the scallys alike, not many cars that can do that these days.

jez.w
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 17:34
Haha thats why i have a T5 CD with R front and T5R wheels ;)

These cars i think will always have a following, the amount of people that comment on my car is good, not just because they know me and all the effort i put into her to keep her tidy, but they remember the BTCC days and the first comment that they usually use is " ooohhh they are quick thats why the police used them "

Some Asian guy stopped me in Sainsburys petrol station the other day ( i was filling her with Super 99 ) and offered to buy it of me, i asked him for how much and he said £2k :D

Now if i didnt love my car so much i would have snapped his hand off, i'll always have a T5 an 850 if they are still about in a few years time but if i have to go for a V70 then so be it.

The 850 T5 is an iconic car of the past and always will be! loved by the old and the scallys alike, not many cars that can do that these days.

Yes i would agree that you have the best of everthing with your R bumber and wheels with CD spec!!

Tomcat
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 17:42
? Hierachy?...er no, not that I'm aware, however, I do love my T5-R and even though I've had full leather on my previous car I prefer the half n half of the R, with full leather you tend to slide around a lot if your driving creativley, the alacantra keeps you in place. I'm not over keen on the light wood either, however mine has the dark stuff. In the end they're nice car's which ever spec you have, does it matter wether it's an R or not?, I only have one now because I owned 3 different spec's before this one and always wanted to buy one.

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 18:13
All down to personal preference TC otherwise there would be no options. I always swore by the plush velour of my P plate 2.5 SE 20V. Got the full black leather in the CD now and love it. And to prevent any sliding around during spirited driving (which would need to be as soon as you start it on a cold morning.......not recommended anyway) use the seat heater.. Seriously though,any T5 is an exceptional car and I'm glad you're happy with yours.
Just a thought,,,,,,,,,,does anyone know if there is a Toyota Prius owners club??:duck:

kyebosh
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 18:33
Just a thought,,,,,,,,,,does anyone know if there is a Toyota Prius owners club??:duck:[/QUOTE]

Why, you thinking of joining? :wink:

http://priuschat.com/forums/

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:10
Oh my good God!!!! That was a joke.....:wtf:

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:13
totally agree.

No offence mate but that's a Crocus in your sig.

kyebosh
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:17
Oh my good God!!!! That was a joke.....:wtf:

Likewise :hilarious

AlanG
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 22:23
Likewise :hilarious

You cheeky monkey,you!!:banana: