PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Cat

cameron
Saturday 15th August 2009, 23:07
Sounds like the Cat's on its way out again!

Theres a tinny noise on hard acceleration and since its coming from under the car all i can assume is that the internals of the cat are loose?
Any ideas guys ?

Cheers

850 t5 vs 600cc
Saturday 15th August 2009, 23:27
Take the cat out and have a straight through pipe, when the MOT comes then put the cat back on.

t5_carl
Sunday 16th August 2009, 12:37
could just be the covers rattling?

AlanG
Sunday 16th August 2009, 19:44
Not sure but cats generally have an outer heat shield/mesh which tends to resonate or rattle in old age. Just a thought.

cameron
Sunday 16th August 2009, 20:25
Unsure, i'll get under it tomorrow and have a bang about and see what i find :confused:

p fandango
Sunday 16th August 2009, 20:51
you might be able to pass the MOT without a cat, my bro's old VR-4 passed the emmissions with no trouble without one. & with a price difference of £20 for a de-cat or £300 for a new cat its an easy choice, plus the extra bhp is always an added bonus lol

altho according to some forums, not having a cat will make the car highly dangerous lmao

Tomcat
Sunday 16th August 2009, 21:47
altho according to some forums, not having a cat will make the car highly dangerous lmao

Does that mean that every car that was made before the invention of Cat's should be removed from the road then because they're dangerous??...Lol.

p fandango
Sunday 16th August 2009, 21:55
Does that mean that every car that was made before the invention of Cat's should be removed from the road then because they're dangerous??...Lol.
quite possibly mate. I've heard by fitting an extra catalytic converter renault gained 2 extra stars in there NCAP ratings crash test, that must be why theirs making all the fuss about it lol

t5 pete
Sunday 16th August 2009, 22:02
One question tho i dont exactly know the year that a car should have a cat on but for the years after that havent they got to have one for a MOT or they will fail unless you know the tester.

p fandango
Sunday 16th August 2009, 22:09
One question tho i dont exactly know the year that a car should have a cat on but for the years after that havent they got to have one for a MOT or they will fail unless you know the tester.
i believe it was 1993 but think its a bit of a grey area, some seem to think it one was fitted from the factory it needs to have one, while others are happy if it passes the tougher emmissions. My bro's was a 1996 VR-4 & simply taken to the nearest MOT station & passed with no problem

AlanG
Sunday 16th August 2009, 22:12
I love the smell of spent matches in the morning.....:shifty:

WOODY T5
Sunday 16th August 2009, 22:41
its up to 1996 now boys ?

Wombatbomb
Monday 17th August 2009, 06:51
Christ almighty, what a load of twaddle. If you're going to tell people what to do a least know the bloody rules yourself.

The presence of a CAT has nothing to do with an MOT, an MOT tester doesn't check for one, they only check the emissions. The requirement for a CAT is part of the construction and use regulations, any car manufactured since 1993 must have one fitted to be road legal. VOSA can and will give you a prohibition notice at a roadside inspection for not having one fitted.

smithy
Monday 17th August 2009, 08:28
Christ almighty, what a load of twaddle. If you're going to tell people what to do a least know the bloody rules yourself.

The presence of a CAT has nothing to do with an MOT, an MOT tester doesn't check for one, they only check the emissions. The requirement for a CAT is part of the construction and use regulations, any car manufactured since 1993 must have one fitted to be road legal. VOSA can and will give you a prohibition notice at a roadside inspection for not having one fitted.

you are right and all the cats on cars i think before 1999 where ceramic cats that block up and break apart .if it is the cat personally i would put a 100cel race cat in the place of your old cat they are metal with hardly any restriction saves all the the hassle of having no cat.and you can get 1 for around 150 to 200 pounds now

p fandango
Monday 17th August 2009, 15:51

ah sorry i got it wrong, i was just going by what info i recall from many moons ago. I haven't had any reason to go looking at vehicle rules & regs lately :wink: lol

cameron
Monday 17th August 2009, 17:10
My car would not go through the emissions test with a knackered or no cat it was reading way too high on Co readings.

Put a replacement decent cat on and it flew through no worries whatsoever :confused:

t5_carl
Monday 17th August 2009, 18:03
the cat stay with the car though, if u fit a newer engine in a older car, you dont have to fit a cat:D

t5 pete
Monday 17th August 2009, 18:19
if u fit a newer engine in a older car, you dont have to fit a cat:D

Thats a brilliant answer i was going to ask that