PDA

View Full Version : tappets

leet5r
Friday 14th August 2009, 18:13
does anyone know how to clean or change if need be , the tappets in my t5r . it has this tappet like noise from the top end of the engine . it happened brfore but went away when i topped up the oil. its due a service so i will change the oil filter , fuel filter plugs and leads and anything else .cheers guys

t5 stealth
Friday 14th August 2009, 18:40
dont let the oil get low then it wont start tapping...lol.
if your doing an oil & filter change then maybe you should use some engine flush on it to clean as much cack out of it before you add new oil,might make them last a bit longer.

leet5r
Friday 14th August 2009, 18:42
dont let the oil get low then it wont start tapping...lol.
if your doing an oil & filter change then maybe you should use some engine flush on it to clean as much cack out of it before you add new oil,might make them last a bit longer.

yeah goin to do that aswell m8 lol .forgot to type it on the post

danny-R
Friday 14th August 2009, 18:59
was alright that litte blast in your car there like mate.
think you wanna get that boooost sorted out seem a tad high lmao

cameron
Friday 14th August 2009, 20:14
My oil is never low and every now and again i get that tappety noise :(

Tomcat
Friday 14th August 2009, 21:02

Ditto, but I only get mine first thing in the morning when I first fire her up, goes away in a second or two though, then she's ok for the rest of the day.

Alan M
Friday 14th August 2009, 22:22
IIRC a full set of genuine 20 followers from Rufe is around £160 delivered.

leet5r
Friday 14th August 2009, 22:30
was alright that litte blast in your car there like mate.
think you wanna get that boooost sorted out seem a tad high lmao

needs more lol

leet5r
Friday 14th August 2009, 22:31

its tappety for a second or 2 in the morn thens that goes away lol. but this is startin to bug me lol. its like a metalic sound and gets faster with the engine lol. are they easy enough to change

RollingThunder
Saturday 15th August 2009, 11:45
its tappety for a second or 2 in the morn thens that goes away lol. but this is startin to bug me lol. its like a metalic sound and gets faster with the engine lol. are they easy enough to change

That sounds normal. They're hydraulic tappets and it takes a few seconds for the oil to get up to pressure - before that point they'll tap. Similarly if the car isn't used much, they can tap for upto 15 minutes (according to Volvo literature).

I had a similar issue with my old 960 3.0 24v. I used engine flush and refilled with cheap full synthetic, thrashed the danglies off it for an hour or so up the motorway, flushed it again and refilled with top quality fully synthetic oil. That cured it. I reckon the tappets were getting a bit gummed up, so the italian tuneup, plus two doses of engine flush got rid of the tar. The only risk in doing this is that you may provoke leaks in other marginal engine seals, so make sure everything is A1 first - esp the PCV system. Oh yes, and make sure your timing belt is ok too :D

cameron
Saturday 15th August 2009, 13:09
Sometimes i'll be driving then come to a stand still, the cars warm been running for an hour or so and it'll start tapping :mad:

Its really annoying and its not something id attempt to change myself either :(