PDA

View Full Version : T5 quandary - keep, sell, break???

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 20:22
So the R is now the steed of choice, but I have my 1997 (yes, it is a 97) 850 CD T5 manual with 160k. The old girl is sound enough, but is a little oil incontinent, and could do with a few new bushes and a fresher O/s Nivomat (just need to fit it). Has a set of good Perfo's (well, they are V70 I know, but hey, look a lot better than Columbias) and apart from a minor hose leak, it has been totally reliable for four years and 35,000 miles.
It is even taxed and tested. Drivers door needs check strap fixing as well.
The question is, do I lay it up and do a slow restoration, do I cut my losses and get perhaps £400 on Ebay, or do I do the unthinkable and break it? I could keep the old girl as a second car at a push - but..
Oh I don't know. All suggestions welcomed.

She's old, but a super late 850 CD (charcoal metallic) seems such a rarity that to let her go to waste would be a shame.

lance
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 20:38
So the R is now the steed of choice, but I have my 1997 (yes, it is a 97) 850 CD T5 manual with 160k. The old girl is sound enough, but is a little oil incontinent, and could do with a few new bushes and a fresher O/s Nivomat (just need to fit it). Has a set of good Perfo's (well, they are V70 I know, but hey, look a lot better than Columbias) and apart from a minor hose leak, it has been totally reliable for four years and 35,000 miles.
It is even taxed and tested. Drivers door needs check strap fixing as well.
The question is, do I lay it up and do a slow restoration, do I cut my losses and get perhaps £400 on Ebay, or do I do the unthinkable and break it? I could keep the old girl as a second car at a push - but..

She's old, but a super late 850 CD (charcoal metallic) seems such a rarity that to let her go to waste would be a shame.

If its an estate you may get more £400 notes is a bargain either way

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 21:03
Well the prices for these seem a bit depressed to say the least. It is an estate with leather and all the CD extras like sunroof and roof rails and electric seat. It is hard to pitch the price right. I will get some pics up - the bodywork looks generally good but a few little trolley dings annoy me. When polished it looks great - but like all dark cars, it shows the dirt.
What to do, what to do...

shaun850
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 21:41
sounds to good to break.. you would get more than 400 on ebay im sure

nobananas
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 21:58
Whack some pics up, I'm looking for another motor to stick my nice engine in !. Bizarrely enough mine is an 855 GLT in charcoal grey but is suffering some corrosion issues !

Flatout Phil
Thursday 13th August 2009, 09:24
Whack some pics up, I'm looking for another motor to stick my nice engine in !. Bizarrely enough mine is an 855 GLT in charcoal grey but is suffering some corrosion issues !

Have stuck up some pics on the original posting - seen as is and not prepped!

richiemat
Thursday 13th August 2009, 09:55

If you were to break it you might have to take it off road, which might mean your R has to live on the road is that a consideration? Worth thinking about and then you have to get rid of the remains.

I'm just trying to convince you not to break it really :D

Flatout Phil
Thursday 13th August 2009, 13:45
If you were to break it you might have to take it off road, which might mean your R has to live on the road is that a consideration? Worth thinking about and then you have to get rid of the remains.

I'm just trying to convince you not to break it really :D

Ah, with great Volvos comes great wisdom!

PaulZX
Thursday 13th August 2009, 14:37
PM for ya phil... I know a man who is very intrested in buying her off ya, if ya wanna sell... he's a bonified volvo nutter, she'd be going to a good home.... ;)