PDA

View Full Version : couple of 1.9d issues

mike 850
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 19:52
I have a 115bhp 02 plate s40 and you can hear the rush of air when the turbo spools and it almost sounds like a d/v when you let off sometimes, the car pulls well doesn't smoke and drives like it should, I can't find any air leaks. is this normal? also i want to get a fault code reader, where's the best place (just want a basic one. and where is the diagnostics port?
thanks

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 21:41
Check your air pipe connections from turbo to intercooler (IC) and the cold side fro IC to manifold. use a spray bottle with diluted washing up liquid in it. it will bubble if any leaks. I had no noise from mine until I fitted the K&N filter but I like the sound.
You'll not get a fault code reader for your car as it only works with VADIS and a VCT2000 tool which cost a bomb! believe me I tried. Just for your info the diag port is at the front of the centre tunnel under the steering wheel (near the clutch pedal) but as I said it won't work with anything but genuine ovlov stuff even though it is the obd2 connector.
What Mods have you got on your car?

mike 850
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:46
no real mods as such
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/mikegolfgti/1.jpg

all i've done is fit smoked side markers, changed the filter back to standard now, its alot quieter but the d/v sound is still there sometimes, i don't think there's anything wrong with the turbo, done much to yours?

nobananas
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 22:04
Not completely relevant to your motor but I had trouble with a Focus TDCi the other day. Rushing noise seemingly coming from the air vents under load but no loss of power. A boost leak was obvious but was a bit tricky to find. A boost pipe had a split on it's underside and had split through the rubber but not through the reinforcing cords of the pipe so boost loss was minimal but the noise was pretty loud !

CONDYBOY
Friday 14th August 2009, 23:48
See my sig.

My car sound like it's got a leaky exhaust but that's just the air being sucked in through the air filter.
These cars create a lot of pressure with the turbo (Compared with petrol turbo's) and the engine management system controls it with the dv. Sometimes when I'm accelerating hard and then stop at half pedal it whooshes as the dv dumps then dumps instantly again until I move my foot or come to the top of the hill. you get my drift.

mike 850
Saturday 15th August 2009, 21:13
cool, i don't really think theres a prob now, with the standard air filter its quiet but you can hear the boost, i think like you said its because theres alot of pressure going through, cheers