PDA

View Full Version : Which turbo to go for?

EddyP82
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 19:23
If you had the choice of any turbo, manifold not that important as a custom one could be made, what would be best to go for? 19t? or go with a Garrett something?

If the answer is 19T is one complete with injectors worth £350?

p fandango
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 20:03
If you had the choice of any turbo, manifold not that important as a custom one could be made, what would be best to go for? 19t? or go with a Garrett something?
it really does depend what your aiming for, to get any use out of the extra hassle & expense of a Garrett your defo talking new con-rods at the very least.

a 19T with the correct downpipe is a bolt-on affair & no faffing around, even got a main stealer to do mine for me

If the answer is 19T is one complete with injectors worth £350?
aslong as its a good turbo i'd say its not bad, but don't forget you'll also need the downpipe & remap if you intend to change the injectors. I'd also recommended changing the exhaust manifold to a ME7 or S60R one. I paid £500 for a brand-new 19t

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 20:04
I guess it all depends on what you want from your car, what state the engine (and rest of car: drivetrain/brakes/suspension) is in and what your budget is. It also depends on what condition the turbo is in. Even if it has a known history, I would say any second-hand turbo should have a rebuild budgeted for it if the whole power system is going to work well. Suggest getting calculator out! I have a hunch that a huge turbo on an otherwise unmodified system will be a case of over-egging the pudding - could just be an undriveable pig. On the other hand with the right set up...

p fandango
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 20:10
I have a hunch that a huge turbo on an otherwise unmodified system will be a case of over-egging the pudding - could just be an undriveable pig. On the other hand with the right set up...
a 19t isn't that huge, yes fitting it as a direct replacement for the 15g did create quite a noticable amount of lag. A few mods to help the breathing & i'd say it spools up just as quick (if not quicker) than the 15g now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY
altho in the video i was taking it nice & easy as it was the noise i was chuffed about, but a couple of times you can see she lost traction because of the turbo spinning up so well

t5 pete
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 20:39
It all depends on your budget but if you can afford a custom manifold or can fabricate one ide go with a garrett i know people have 19t with standard rods but imho i would uprate them also what power are you wanting from your car?
With more power it will require better braking better suspension and a load more things.
At the end of the day how much money do you have to spend.
Also what people forget is a build will cost a hell of alot more than you think it will

EddyP82
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 22:03
This isn't going in a volvo, its in a kit car i'm building, put some other threads on here about it.

Will be running an Emerald ECU so remap etc.. isn't an issue.
Using an ST gearbox, which i've now managed to source, just trying to sort out some driveshaft problems at the moment, need to find the lengths of the ST ones.
At the moment i'm not sure if i've got enough clearance to run the volvo manifold, so might end up making a custom one anyway, if I do manage to use a volvo it will be an ME7/S60r one.
I don't know much about Garrett turbos so don't even know which one i'd need if I did go down that route.
Suspension/chassis/brakes are good for lots of power, i'm aiming for at least 300 at the wheels, more would be nice though.

Wibren V70R
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:11
You could also try a S60R K24 turbo. That would be good up to 370/380 bhp with the right tune :D

Wibren V70R
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:18
a 19t isn't that huge, yes fitting it as a direct replacement for the 15g did create quite a noticable amount of lag. A few mods to help the breathing & i'd say it spools up just as quick (if not quicker) than the 15g now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY
altho in the video i was taking it nice & easy as it was the noise i was chuffed about, but a couple of times you can see she lost traction because of the turbo spinning up so wellI do seriously hope that you did some remapping of the software. Running 15g software with a 19t turbo did cause some people over here some serious bend conrods :firedevil

p fandango
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:37
I do seriously hope that you did some remapping of the software. Running 15g software with a 19t turbo did cause some people over here some serious bend conrods :firedevil
no its a totally stock map, i'm running an Apexi AVC-R so the boost is well under control

Wibren V70R
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:50
no its a totally stock map, i'm running an Apexi AVC-R so the boost is well under controlThan it should be fine :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 07:28
This isn't going in a volvo, its in a kit car i'm building, put some other threads on here about it.

Will be running an Emerald ECU so remap etc.. isn't an issue.
Using an ST gearbox, which i've now managed to source, just trying to sort out some driveshaft problems at the moment, need to find the lengths of the ST ones.
At the moment i'm not sure if i've got enough clearance to run the volvo manifold, so might end up making a custom one anyway, if I do manage to use a volvo it will be an ME7/S60r one.
I don't know much about Garrett turbos so don't even know which one i'd need if I did go down that route.
Suspension/chassis/brakes are good for lots of power, i'm aiming for at least 300 at the wheels, more would be nice though.

If its going in a kit car a garrett gt28 will make it fly