PDA

View Full Version : Spring in Load Cover

Jamest5r
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 16:40
Mine won't retract anymore, can they be fixed? cheers

850 t5 vs 600cc
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 17:32
Mine has done the same thing and all i can find is a complete one and it was £40. Not that important..

dicky b t5
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 17:43
Yes they can be fixed....but it is a pain to do. I did mine about 2yrs ago with SuperGlue and 2 3" Screws.

Its not something you can explain...you've just got to take it apart and work it out.

Good luck.

DB.

phil_woods
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 18:23
mine was knackered so i replaced it luckily for me i sourced a free one. It was the plastic bits on the end which had broken on mine and not the spring.

Good luck though

cookie
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 20:48
I fixed mine on 850 when I had one, and was glue and screw, and working out how to tension recoil spring

I had the early one with the inbuilt parcel shelf

Big Ron
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 21:13
Mine has done the same thing and all i can find is a complete one and it was £40. Not that important..

can you please tell me where you got one from because mine has also stopped retracting

smudgethecat
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 21:25
can you please tell me where you got one from because mine has also stopped retracting

dont want to state the bleedin obvious.... but e bay or one of the many volvo breakers such as salvo might be a good place to start, failing that im sure volvo will flog you one at some outrageous price

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 21:42
As stated above, you can fix them really easily, once you've figured out how the mechanism works. The ends used to shoot off mine, so rewinding each time was a pain...

Its a bit like rewindng a tape measure, if you get it wrong then... Twang!!!! Start all over again...

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 10:29
I fixed mine on 850 when I had one, and was glue and screw, and working out how to tension recoil spring

I had the early one with the inbuilt parcel shelf

Why the hell didn't you get in touch with me when I was selling mine on the forum???

I wanted £15 for one just like yours with the shelf!

Worked perfectly.

I say 'worked' as I took it to the local tip as nobody wanted it...

woz
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 11:29
Mine won't retract anymore, can they be fixed? cheers

Aha - I think I just got my answer ;>)
Woz

Jamest5r
Thursday 10th September 2009, 17:24
Aha - I think I just got my answer ;>)
Woz

If you have any luck mate let me know, took mine apart three tiny screws on each end, took the roller out, got lost after that no joy!!

Rhys
Thursday 10th September 2009, 18:59
If you have any luck mate let me know, took mine apart three tiny screws on each end, took the roller out, got lost after that no joy!!

Done that - going to put a couple of copper tube sleaves over the plastic bit and crimp it on hopefully - then secure it with some screws. Will let you all know if it works. Nothing to loose as mine is kapput now.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th September 2009, 19:06
Yeah, I'm working on some copper sleeves at the moment. Gonna have a flange on them so I can screw them to the ends to beef it up.

Rhys
Thursday 10th September 2009, 19:14
Yeah, I'm working on some copper sleeves at the moment. Gonna have a flange on them so I can screw them to the ends to beef it up.

Sounds like a plan..
Think I might have to go to my folks house and pinch the use of their cellar as my dad has a little workshop in there (ex-York Carriage works engineer). Might be able to make up some brackets of some sort - can't be too hard (famous last words lol)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th September 2009, 19:36
Well, I'm using standard 15mm copper pipe. The plastic ends need trimming a bit, so I pushed it into the drill chuck (I have no lathe) and used sandpaper to wear it down (only needs a tiny bit). Now I've cut two slits down the side of the pipe to corresdpond with the slits in the plastic bit, and then I folded the ends over to match the angle of the big end cap. Now I have to strengthen the flanges somehow (bracing). Thinking that solder is too weak, I need to find something else.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th September 2009, 19:42
Needs some tidying up, but should be good when finished......

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/10092009172.jpg

cookie
Thursday 10th September 2009, 20:25
Why the hell didn't you get in touch with me when I was selling mine on the forum???

I wanted £15 for one just like yours with the shelf!

Worked perfectly.

I say 'worked' as I took it to the local tip as nobody wanted it...

they were on the 93MY only IIRC,

and

I repaired mine when I had an 850, which was 10 years ago ;), I sold it nearly 5 years Ago, when I got the V70 :)