PDA

View Full Version : help car keeps stalling?

joelounge
Monday 10th August 2009, 11:36
ok so the car runs really well (s70r) but cuts out when on tick over in "N" and then will restart straight away......
tick over is at 1000 (roughly) and seems to pull hard as always....

what is causing this???

I have been using it mainly for short journeys (6 miles) do i need to give it a run!

thanks

Joe

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:23
What year is it.... if it's about 99> and an ME7 then it may well be the dreded ETM.

Earlier than that it sounds like PCV or your idle valve.

joelounge
Monday 10th August 2009, 13:07
p reg?

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 13:08
^
Old then, look at the PCV & the idle control valve. Should be one or the other.

My bet at this time would be a blocked PCV.

joelounge
Monday 10th August 2009, 13:16
out of interest what is it? what does it look like? how do i clean it? sorry for the dumb questions :)

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 13:41
Could not help you there, but look in the how to section as I'm almost certain that they have a how to with piccies!

(I have a newer car & know the engines are different)

princepugh
Monday 10th August 2009, 14:14
Positive Crankcase Ventilation system - plumbing and filters in-between crankcase and inlet, often gets gunked up with emulsified oil. There should be an article on here about how to clean as badger says - not as simple as it used to be on the older Volvos though.

joelounge
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 18:23
ok quick update, jumped in this morning all seemed fine :)

Once the car warmed up it started to stall.... me thinks something electrical is breaking down...
Then slap bang in the middle of soho central london she dies..... nothing wont start and hold at all.... parking ticket with in 5 mins (expected!) rac in 30 mins!!!! :) relayed to my mechanic who runs the diagnostics.... MAF sensor! fixed and running sweet!

Except got talked in to spending some money on new suspension bits! and exhaust! wanted to do these any way! also how do i find out what my paint code is???

Jamest5r
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 18:31
ok quick update, jumped in this morning all seemed fine :)

Once the car warmed up it started to stall.... me thinks something electrical is breaking down...
Then slap bang in the middle of soho central london she dies..... nothing wont start and hold at all.... parking ticket with in 5 mins (expected!) rac in 30 mins!!!! :) relayed to my mechanic who runs the diagnostics.... MAF sensor! fixed and running sweet!

Except got talked in to spending some money on new suspension bits! and exhaust! wanted to do these any way! also how do i find out what my paint code is???

This is on your vin plate in the engine bay, well it is on my 850 so a good place to start