PDA

View Full Version : ex police s60

weemsy
Monday 10th August 2009, 08:48
i am considering buying an ex police s60 t5 my local auctions have section for this once a month, my concern is that i do not know much about modifying, and alot of the people selling these on say the cars have been modified by the police from the original 250 bhp to 300bhp+, does anyone know what mods they do and how much is this going to effect the insurance.
plus how much should i be paying for a 2005 with about 100,000 miles.

Wombatbomb
Monday 10th August 2009, 09:04
The engines are standard. The 155mph limiter is deleted (no idea why they do that, with lightbars and all the extra weight they carry they would struggle to make it above 150mph anyway). Some forces have the ECU adaptation values set to maximum but that's it.

They normally have the 320mm brake setup, and often have a D5 clutch fitted. There is additional wiring looms fitted and the battery is upgraded.

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 09:07
^
Agreed, not that much will have been done to it.

Sometimes they have 320mm brakes & a few D5 components (to help with the weight they carry) but are mostly stock.

£3-5K max, as they usually have high miles.

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 09:12
*** also reccomend that if you get an auto, get the oil in the box changed & a full service as well. The cops do not do this when they punt them.

weemsy
Monday 10th August 2009, 17:09
do you think they the police will have replaced the cambelt by time its hit 100,000 on the clock. what will i have to do/ can i do on top of a basic service ie the power steering fluids etc , though i know nowt about the oily bits in a car i recognise the value of keeping your car well serviced, thanks in advance for any advice.

thebadger
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 09:45
If you can find out which "service" had her, then contact them & request to have a full history of the car.

I have 3 A4 pages of every billed replacement item ever needed on my car. (right down to an order for 2 valve caps!)

Plod will assist you in what they did/or did not do.

I did my cam belt at 75k, so I'd bet plod didn't do it on yours either. Parts & labour to get my one done was £160 all in, and I got the aux belt done at the same time as it was squealing!

Invest wisely!