PDA

View Full Version : PCV again.

Pete-M
Sunday 9th August 2009, 19:21
Just replaced the separator canister on mine and cleaned out all the hoses (which were remarkably ok in condition), cleared out the little pipe into the cyl. block and checked everything else seems fine.

After getting home it's still smoking from the dipstick (a lot less, mind) so I did a quick google and found the link on how to do it properly and the bit about the valve in the intake pipe from the turbo. "Oh ££££" thinks I and so I go outside to have a look. Popped the turbo to airbox pipe off and had a look at the gubbin at the bottom with the small and larger pipe and electrical connector on. I take it this is the PCV valve? Bit of gunge in there so I cleaned that out, put it all back together and out for a spin. Turbo seems pretty dry, light misting of oil but nothing excessive, about right for a 128,000 mile car.

It certainly goes better, the overboost thing seems to be kicking in properly - which it's never obviously done before, so I must have sorted a boost leak somewhere. I didn't think it has worked properly before as it has always boosted 3/4 of the way across the gauge, now it happily goes a little bit higher and it's pulling more vacuum on deceleration than I've seen in the past as well. So that's all good news.

However, the bloody dipstick is still smoking a bit. I tried pulling the two pipes off the PCV valve to see if there's an obvious blockage there and the smaller one is pulling good vacuum, the larger one has the same amount of smoke as the dipstick coming from it.

Now, I confess that it needs an oil change very soon, the engine is very, very sweet indeed and it's not burning much oil, needs a litre adding every 800-1200 miles and the HC reading from the tailpipe is clean, pretty much as a T5 should be according to Autodata. 100ppm or thereabout.

So, I need to change the PCV valve and give it an oil change. Is that likely to cure the smoky dipstick, or should I just live with it?

smudgethecat
Monday 10th August 2009, 09:56
the valve your describing is the ptc valve, remove it and give a good clean out

HADI
Monday 10th August 2009, 14:39
Popped the turbo to airbox pipe off and had a look at the gubbin at the bottom with the small and larger pipe and electrical connector on. I take it this is the PCV valve? Bit of gunge in there so I cleaned that out, put it all back together and out for a spin. Turbo seems pretty dry, light misting of oil but nothing excessive, about right for a 128,000 mile car.

think this is the ptc valve you mention, looks like hes cleaned already

Pete-M
Monday 10th August 2009, 20:03
Thanks folks, it seems to be a fair bit better today. Still a little bit of smoke from the dipstick, so I'll whip off what I now know to be the PCT valve and give it another clean.