PDA

View Full Version : how to fit New radio into 98 c70 t5 gt

bigupmat
Sunday 9th August 2009, 12:03
Hi guys have just bought a new radio to go into my c70 old one looks like this
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/bigupmat1/BWpHh4gBGkKGrHgoH-CwEjlLlwwEDBKYc1E.jpg
and new one this
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r56/bigupmat1/BWzZhSwBGkKGrHgoOKi4EjlLmZ1SBKZJ5Mq.jpg
does any one know what cables i will need where to get them and where to locate the cars amp it has the dolby system with parcel shelf subs and dash speaker.
any help would be great.

cheers

Wombatbomb
Sunday 9th August 2009, 12:38
You'll need an ISO adaptor for the main loom, a special adaptor to connect the new headunit to the Volvo amp (there are no speaker connections on the SC901, just a din lead to the amp which is located in the rear passenger wing behind the boot carpet, this headunit doesn't produce a powered output for the regular speakers). Your centre dash speaker is basically useless without the Volvo headunit as it's another unique connection, and is the only speaker the 901 actually powers itself.

ISO adaptor is made by Autoleads, the amp adaptor comes from IPD or fleabay.

bigupmat
Monday 10th August 2009, 10:33
thank you will give it a go

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:15
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/Volvo/volvo_amplifiers.htm

You want one of them... lest you break the lot! And the fancy amp is a dear item to replace.

Torch S70R
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:31
if its anything like my S70 then you'll find that you can bypass the amp, reach down and you'll see that the loom connects to the amp via similar plugs. Just dissconnect these and plug your iso loom straight in :)

i have pics of this somewhere, ill try and dig them out for you

btw good choice of HU, i have the model prior to this and its awesome :)

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:38
The C70's usually came fitted with a Dyne Audio system. Amp in the boot on the passengers side, attached to the HU by a 7pin DIN socket.

The "bit" I posted previously attaches the replacement HU via RCA pre-outs to the existing Dyne Amp (4x100W) which in turn powers the 4 8.25" Subs & components placed about the car.

The wire is for the amp power signal (pin7) or your blue remote cable on the replacement HU.

Spend £20, or risk blowing up an expensive system by a bad wiring.

Torch S70R
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:43
same setup in the S70 R m8 except the amp is fitted underneath the drivers seat
ill post up some pics of the loom later on, shouldn't be able to plug the iso loom straight into the same plugs that come out of the SC901 as they wont fit. but further down the loom there are interconnecting plugs that separate and bypass the amp altogether but still allow direct access to the speakers

not saying its the same case on the C70s but worth checking out for :)

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:52
No probs torch, but after playing mega silly boogers with a C70's sounds, I can almost gaurentee it will be an amped system with no cut in.

Dyne are some mental crashgee Dutch company who do make a very nice audio system. But it is a minor nightmare to work on.

This is very different to the standard pro logic stuff in the other 70 series.

Should be a largeish black & grey circular plug with aproxx 7 pins and a locator lip at the bottom.

If you fit a standard ISO, your new HU will power up, but there will be no sound.

The cables have no easy to read or find order & would require a 3yr olds hands to reach & splice.

Easy option is the adaptor.

thebadger
Monday 10th August 2009, 12:54
Also as the speakers are all odd sizes, if you do splice in a bigger HU & blow a speaker....

be prepared for a very large bill!

bigupmat
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 20:10
cheers guys have orderd new conector, found amp in boot is a 4 x 100 amp. will take pictures and post them up as i work for future ref.

thebadger
Thursday 13th August 2009, 00:59
Yep, you have a Dyne audio stereo setup.

You will need to get one of thoes adaptors.

Or if you're a sneaky type... buy two! Then attach one to each end of the cable & fit an aftermarket amp wit a bit more power.

Just remember that the speakers cost lots & are all odd sizes.

IIRC the door & rear parcle shelf ones are 8.25" which you cannot buy off any shelf, regardless of what halfrauds claim!

The Amp in the boot is way loud anyway! Just get the adaptor thingy & hook up the new HU using the preouts.

You will not be dissapointed! The Volvo stereo is way too quiet! The amp will rattle the whole car. Fit a reasonably big sub & you'll be done!

bigupmat
Monday 14th September 2009, 21:45
hi guys sorry for late reply, stereos all fitted all speakers working and even fitted new sub amp and power cap, cheers for the advice was great help