PDA

View Full Version : My new baby!

RollingThunder
Saturday 8th August 2009, 12:03
Well, I finally picked up my 'new' 855R yesterday and what a baptism of fire that was! I left Dover at around 12:30 lunchtime, and had only got as far as the Watford Gap services by 6PM!

The M25 was absolutely mad - it was a scorcher of a day and cars were falling by the wayside all afternoon - even an 08 Focus blew its coolant all over the carriageway. I was thinking 'I'm going to be next' for hour after hour, but my baby just kept idling away with the gauge absolutely stuck halfway. She was starting to idle a bit raggedly, but after a 4 hour stop-start traffic jam in that heat its to be expected. Some NINE HOURS after leaving Dover I finally got home - and the car hadn't missed a beat. She's a beaut and is definitely a keeper!

A few issues have come to light, as you'd expect for a 13 year old car. The red paintwork has gone a bit pink in places, as is usual for the 850. The tailgate struts are on their last legs and only just hold the tailgate open. The lambda lamp came on about 10 mile out of Dover. The brake fluid needs a change - while the brakes are fine and passed the MoT test last week, they were starting to fade in the traffic jam. The steering pulls ever so slightly to the right - I'm guessing its simply tyre pressures causing this as its so slight. Oh, and the air con doesn't work - no surprise there as I haven't had a Volvo with working aircon yet!

And thats about the sum total of the bad bits! The good bits are very good indeed - its just had new brake discs, new pads, new tyres, and a professional interior valet. It has a few bits that weren't mentioned - a Volvo Alarm\immobiliser, a load cover blind, retracting load bay nets, the upholstery had UltraGuard when new so its absolutely perfect. Its also had main dealer servicing upto about 70k miles and has only done an average of 5k annually for the last 5 years! It has an extensive service history and every MoT certificate from new proving its mileage. As you can imagine, it drives perfectly. I'm stunned and in love

I popped over to the local castle this morning (as you do) and took a few piccies. Sadly the camera got a bit confused at the lighting - perhaps I shouldn't have tried to be so arty

Anyway, here she is in all her glory - I'll be T-cutting her this weekend to get her shiny red once again, and will give her a full service in the next few weeks, including that awkward PCV system renewal. The timing belt was done at 80k by an independent, but I think I'll change it myself anyway just for peace of mind.

t5_carl
Saturday 8th August 2009, 13:26
sweet mate, nice motor!

linkin582
Saturday 8th August 2009, 13:51
good looking car good luck with it !!!!!!

AlanG
Saturday 8th August 2009, 13:53
Yep,very nice mate.........and no need for a private plate either..:cool:

Johnny5
Saturday 8th August 2009, 17:08
Nice motor..... lookin gud in red too.... Shame about the worlds biggest carpark (M25) though..... How i hate that road with a vengance! lol

Mine pulls slightly to the right too, tyres are all at the correct pressure, i found that there is wear to my lower arm bushes on the o/s so theyre next on the replacement list after the impending chip job! J

RollingThunder
Sunday 9th August 2009, 10:07
Thanks everyone. I'm still loving the car - drove it some more yesterday and still no signs of mechanical issues - lovely and smooth. Noticed that the paint is peeling off the wheels so they've been tarted up a bit, but I was planning on refurbing them anyway, so no big deal there. No other surprises, so I'm chuffed as a chuffed thing :D

I was amazed at the economy too - the drive from Dover to Doncaster (270 miles) including the 4.5 hours stuck in the traffic jam still produced a 31mpg average - how sweet is that?! :) If it wasn't for the jam, that would have been much much higher I'm sure.

So the beast is def a keeper - which will please the missus! :D

j@mie
Sunday 9th August 2009, 10:22
very smart... love it

danny-R
Sunday 9th August 2009, 10:49
i agree , very nice mate. and love the plate ~:)

walter leever
Sunday 9th August 2009, 11:25
Very nice example,just the "normal"things to do then.;)

As you have noticed these are highspeed travelling cars,so i reckon the misses likes it to then?

gr,walter

sidmon
Sunday 9th August 2009, 15:59
Looks good, best advice would be to gorget the T-Cut and use something that won't leave marring. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good place to start.

RollingThunder
Sunday 9th August 2009, 22:09
I've T-cut the rear spoiler and thats come up a treat - I'm relieved to say!

I'm thinking of trying Farecla for the rest of the car. I did a Renault 21 estate back in 1988 (!) and it worked beautifully on that car. I'll try it on the tailgate first and if that works out ok I'll do the whole car. I'm going to buy/hire a proper polishing machine I think - the spoiler took me 2 hours to do, so the car won't be finished until next January if I do it by hand :D I'll also use a clay bar to do the glass - its amazing the difference it makes.

But, first things first, I need to give it a thorough service, PCV replacement and look at refurbing the wheels... so plenty to do still!

BTW Walter, in an earlier post you said about paying the right money for a showroom quality car - I'm hoping that this will be a show winning come next summer. I have big plans :D

walter leever
Monday 10th August 2009, 11:28
I've T-cut the rear spoiler and thats come up a treat - I'm relieved to say!

I'm thinking of trying Farecla for the rest of the car. I did a Renault 21 estate back in 1988 (!) and it worked beautifully on that car. I'll try it on the tailgate first and if that works out ok I'll do the whole car. I'm going to buy/hire a proper polishing machine I think - the spoiler took me 2 hours to do, so the car won't be finished until next January if I do it by hand :D I'll also use a clay bar to do the glass - its amazing the difference it makes.

But, first things first, I need to give it a thorough service, PCV replacement and look at refurbing the wheels... so plenty to do still!

BTW Walter, in an earlier post you said about paying the right money for a showroom quality car - I'm hoping that this will be a show winning come next summer. I have big plans :D

I will keep my eye on here(lol)and yes if it's a good one(looks like it)you pay more

HADI
Monday 10th August 2009, 11:39
nice car you got there, good to see another going into the hands of someone who will restore it and treasure it :welcome:

RollingThunder
Monday 10th August 2009, 13:05
nice car you got there, good to see another going into the hands of someone who will restore it and treasure it :welcome:

Thanks Hadi.

Yes, I'm a through and through petrolhead I'm afraid. I love tinkering, tweeking, polishing and perfecting :) The missus thinks I'm mad, but even she has admitted to liking the 850R a lot. I think it hit home when she asked me to stop driving it like a pensioner give it some wellie yesterday - and I pointed out we were doing not far of 100mph as it was... :D

Its a very fast and refined car lol. I can only imagine what a RICA chip will do (its on the shopping list). But I need to get it up to a good stage 0 tune first, including all synthetic fluids, new hoses etc. Once I'm happy with that I'll look at iPD antiroll bars, bilsteins, stainless exhaust, RICA chip etc etc. Just got to hope that my Golf V5 goes for decent money so that I can pay for it all!