PDA

View Full Version : 850r ride height advice

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:10
ok i recently bought a 850r which has been lowered, (dont know how much the reciept for the springs dont say or make) the car to me is just to low, looks good but for the roads i drive its no good, (dare i say my pug 306 gti6 has more comfort) anyway what springs would i need to bring it up i know standard ones but i don't want it to be to high and as so im led to belive the r model is a bit lower than the t5r im all confused please help.

walter leever
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:13
Don't know for sure but i think the T-5R ones are a bit harder(don't know about lower),or you can get an coilover set, than you can adjust ride height and comfort.

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:25
Don't know for sure but i think the T-5R ones are a bit harder(don't know about lower),or you can get an coilover set, than you can adjust ride height and comfort.
that is a option just not one i can aford at the mo, i just want to change the springs to raise it back up again, i suppose i would need to remortgage my house if i went to volvo for standard.

dicky b t5
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:28
IIRC, T5Rs and Rs are the same height, which i think was 20mm lower than a standard T5

I might be wrong though...! Im sure someone will know for sure !

DB.

walter leever
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:41
When you're going for good quality springs it will be around the 200 euro mark,

When you're going for coilovers i think there are sets availeble for around the 400 euro mark(then you have new shocks aswell,never a bad thing)

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:46
IIRC, T5Rs and Rs are the same height, which i think was 20mm lower than a standard T5
correct, the R also has thicker anti-roll bars which will make the ride a bit more harsh

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:06
correct, the R also has thicker anti-roll bars which will make the ride a bit more harsh
so could i just get some say 30mm lower t5 springs, therefore it would be about 10mm lower than standard.

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:15
so could i just get some say 30mm lower t5 springs, therefore it would be about 10mm lower than standard.
you could do but tbh i really don't think there will be much difference to what your already running, the max drop i've seen for an off-the-shelf kit is 40mm. & to be totally honest its not the ride height that decides how smooth the car drives, you could buy some springs that raise the car higher than stock, but if the spring is stiffer the ride will still be as bad. Your best bet is go to a meet & see what you think to other peoples cars & what there using

sorry its not much help, but not many companies give out spring tension info out on there lowering kits so its hard to say how harsh the ride is going to be without trying them

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:28
you could do but tbh i really don't think there will be much difference to what your already running, the max drop i've seen for an off-the-shelf kit is 40mm. & to be totally honest its not the ride height that decides how smooth the car drives, you could buy some springs that raise the car higher than stock, but if the spring is stiffer the ride will still be as bad. Your best bet is go to a meet & see what you think to other peoples cars & what there using

sorry its not much help, but not many companies give out spring tension info out on there lowering kits so its hard to say how harsh the ride is going to be without trying them
it's not that it's unconforfy realy i think it's more that it feels like it is bottoming out i know the rear bump stops haven't been cut down, maybe this is something to do with it, i know i had to cut the bump stops down on my brother in laws astra van when we dropped it 60 mm, does anyone know where to get standard ride height springs from?

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:32
also it's rubbing on the inner arch lining on full lock, and the front tyres are sitting about level with the arch, i would get pics but i have currently got all four wheels of the car for refurb.

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:37
also it's rubbing on the inner arch lining on full lock, and the front tyres are sitting about level with the arch, i would get pics but i have currently got all four wheels of the car for refurb.
are you running the standard 17's & tyres?

cameron
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:52
Standard T5 = 1410mm
T5R and R = 1390mm

From floor to Roofline ( not inc roof rails ;) )

Amazing the useless things my head stores :doh:

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:59
are you running the standard 17's & tyres?

17s with 215/45.

dicky b t5
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:22
Steve, i think you'd be better getting some stock height 850R springs.

As you said yourself, its too low at the moment.

Stock 850Rs sit just right.

Dicky.

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:27
Steve, i think you'd be better getting some stock height 850R springs.

As you said yourself, its too low at the moment.

Stock 850Rs sit just right.

Dicky.thats what im thinking do you know anywhere that sells them other than volvo.

t5_carl
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:43
hi, ive just fitted some brand new 40mm springs, and it isnt low enough, they up rated springs?I would do a swap if they are!

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:50
hi, ive just fitted some brand new 40mm springs, and it isnt low enough, they up rated springs?I would do a swap if they are!
i think they are i mean i have reciepts saying so but i would'nt swap as they don't look the best of condtion.

t5_carl
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:55
I got a set of standard T5 springs, not to fussed wht they look like,long as its lower then mine,lol

Tomcat
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:08
I'd be surprised if they're standard sized lowered springs you've got on, they've probably been cut down. I've run Eibach springs in the past (got some on now) and they're about 40mm lower than standard, my back springs have been cut down and the rear tyres are just under the lip of the arch. That's defo too low, get them swapped for either some standard springs or some uncut lowered springs.

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:10
I got a set of standard T5 springs, not to fussed wht they look like,long as its lower then mine,lolmine is apprently 20mm lower than a standad t5 so they would'nt be any good to me however if i get mine sorted you would be more than welcome to have mine.

t5_carl
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:12
mine is apprently 20mm lower than a standad t5 so they would'nt be any good to me however if i get mine sorted you would be more than welcome to have mine.

thank u mate!

tomcat, where are they cut?the backs pig tail, and the top of them is supporting?think i need to loose a coil...

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:18
this is the only pic i have of the back at the mo, the bunp stop is only abut 2inch from the spring base plate.
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_4447.jpg

Tomcat
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:18
Mine are cut on the bottom, yes this does make them a pain in the arse when you jack the car up as if you don't lower it carefully the spings don't sit in the cups, but it's worth it for the lowered ride height.

t5_carl
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:21
so u basically cut the pig tail off?
that looks a really nice ride hight!

Tomcat
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:22
Steve, yours is lower than mine and mine is on cut down Eibach's on the back. Better get the jack out and have a look at the back springs, if they don't curl in at the ends of the springs then they've been cut down(by too much).If you bought a set of Eibach's or similar lowered springs then you'd be ok....

Oh... just had another thought too, when I gave my old T5-R springs to another member on the forum with a standard T5 he found that his rear suspension was waaay too low. It turned out that his rear shocks weren't the Nivomat self leveling suspension that my R has so his sat lower with the R springs fitted.

Tomcat
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:22
so u basically cut the pig tail off?
that looks a really nice ride hight!

I can't say how much has been removed from mine because they where like this when I bought them.

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:28
Oh... just had another thought too, when I gave my old T5-R springs to another member on the forum with a standard T5 he found that his rear suspension was waaay too low. It turned out that his rear shocks weren't the Nivomat self leveling suspension that my R has so his sat lower with the R springs fitted.
i will have a look tomorrow the car is on stands as we speak, might have a look in a bit, mines also got bilsten shocks, whats nivomat?

t5_carl
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:32
self levering suspension i think?

Tomcat
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:33
Nivomats where an optional extra for the estate, they allowed heavier loads to be carried without the car bottoming out (I think).

steve954
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:42
are they just shocks? if so my blisten should of removed it yes?

danny-R
Saturday 8th August 2009, 00:12
is that so? :) i wondered how i got 12 bags of multi-finish in the back without it bottoming out.
approx 300kg in the boot and it didn't bottom out once.

steve954
Saturday 8th August 2009, 00:23
just checked my springs not cut down.

t5_carl
Saturday 8th August 2009, 00:38
have u got this nivomats?maybe its failed hence the arse drop

cameron
Saturday 8th August 2009, 09:40
Check which rear shocks you have ;)

These are the Nivomats............

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/nivomats.jpg

These are Standard Shocks ...............................

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ordinary.jpg

HTH

Lee

steve954
Saturday 8th August 2009, 16:45
Check which rear shocks you have ;)

These are the Nivomats............

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/nivomats.jpg

These are Standard Shocks ...............................

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ordinary.jpg

HTH

Lee
don't apply to me then as i've got blistens.

Tomcat
Saturday 8th August 2009, 17:09
Is there a name on the spings?, if they're aftermarket ones then there should be something printed on the coils.

Tomcat
Saturday 8th August 2009, 17:13
Check this Linky... (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22366)

Is this similar to what your experiencing?..

steve954
Saturday 8th August 2009, 18:53
tomcat, right the back is'nt as low as the other one, the shocks have no markings on them at all and they are black, now the only lower springs i know of that are black are eibachs, the shocks are bilstens after a bit of research i think they are sportlines, after spending a bit of time looking at them it looks like the coils on the rear are hitting each other making them flat between the coils not round, my thoughts are that the bilstens have shorter rods and i have standard springs on.

Tomcat
Saturday 8th August 2009, 19:53
When you order springs for the 850 you have to say wether or not you currently have nivomat shocks fitted or not, could possibly be that the original owner has fitted the wrong shocks, either that or the original springs are just knackered. Sadly there's no real cheap way of telling, you can either buy another set of springs and get the ones that aren't for nivomats, or you can get another set of shocks and see if it's that.

steve954
Saturday 8th August 2009, 20:07
cheers tomcat, i think i might just buy a set of standard shocks & springs that would sort it.

Tomcat
Saturday 8th August 2009, 20:09
Why don't you speak to one of the breakers first?, see if you can get some second hand ones, that way it won't cost you as much and you can start ruling things out.

steve954
Saturday 8th August 2009, 20:31
is it hard to get bits for a 850r or t5r from a breakers?

Tomcat
Saturday 8th August 2009, 21:21
Not as hard as you'd think, pm NADS on here, he's broken quite a few apparently. Failing that there's a place called Reidview in Accrington, there's also a place called Salvo in yorkshire..

steve954
Sunday 9th August 2009, 17:25
ok, update.. i have taken the rear springs and stocks off the car while waiting for my wheels to harden.
I have found a code on the springs which is TME8612, the lenght of the spring is 13.5" (or 35cm).
How does this lenght compare to standard T5/T5R spring lenghts?

I have added a picture of the springs.

steve954
Sunday 9th August 2009, 19:16
ok rear shocks are now back on, just taken off the front they are 12inch long and just rattle about on the shocks ( i did'nt need spring compresser to take them off ) code on these is tme8667, anyone know where i can get standard height springs from for my 850r?

p fandango
Sunday 9th August 2009, 19:25
ok rear shocks are now back on, just taken off the front they are 12inch long and just rattle about on the shocks ( i did'nt need spring compresser to take them off ) code on these is tme8667, anyone know where i can get standard height springs from for my 850r?
i can't find any info on what make the springs are, but having the front spring under no compressionon the strut really doesn't sound right to me

steve954
Sunday 9th August 2009, 20:13
i can't find any info on what make the springs are, but having the front spring under no compressionon the strut really doesn't sound right to meit's not right, i lowered my brother inlaws astra van with 60mm lower springs and his did the same, it's not a bad thing if the shocks match but on this they don't.

cherry1809
Monday 10th August 2009, 14:19
i can't find any info on what make the springs are, but having the front spring under no compressionon the strut really doesn't sound right to me

I'd assume he means when the cars jacked up.
I've had some springs do the same when fitted. Standard needed the compressors to remove, New ones just went on and sat fine when the car was lowered back down.

Put me down as another possible interested in your old springs. :B_thumb:

steve954
Monday 10th August 2009, 20:24
so people want my old springs eh. :hmm

t5_carl
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 00:26
sound like some chopped down bad boys!

steve954
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 08:27
sound like some chopped down bad boys!no chopping at least nothing visual, eibachs coming today, i will post up the results later.

cherry1809
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 09:00
so people want my old springs eh. :hmm

Yep, Cash waiting :B_thumb:

steve954
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 16:54
ok big upate new 30mm lower eibachs on, first pic is my car this morning on whatever springs they are,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5002.jpg
the arch to rim measurements are front 3.5 inch and the rear is 3 inch, front wheel,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5004.jpg
rear wheel,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5003.jpg
old rear springs next to my new eibachs not much in it but check out the coils on the old ones,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5005.jpg
front springs next to new eibachs, you can notice the diffrerents here,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5006.jpg
and this is the car with all the eibachs on, not a very clear pic though,
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/clair-louise/IMG_5007.jpg
the overal result is the car has been raised, front is now 4.5 inchs from rim to arch and the rear is now just under 4 inchs from rim to arch, so who wants the old springs?

cherry1809
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 17:41
ME!!! PM me a price....

t5_carl
Tuesday 11th August 2009, 23:48
hey i asked first,lol, im just gonna chop mine a bit i think..

Tomcat
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 05:11
Glad you got it sorted Steve, cars looking fantastic by the way.

steve954
Wednesday 12th August 2009, 09:46
Glad you got it sorted Steve, cars looking fantastic by the way.
thanks tc, with the price of the car the mot springs and spray for the wheels, the car still set me back under £1500 so im happy.