PDA

View Full Version : electrical fault??

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 17:53
i wonder if anyone could help.. i have just been for a walk with the dog started driving home and 1st thing i noticed was the the traction light was lit and my indicators weren't working properly. (flashing very fast, but work ok when the hazards are on).
then i noticed the speedo wasn't working and the car felt a little bit limp, so i put my foot half down and the boost gauge would'nt go in to the white.
i'm worried by this point so went straight home and checked every fuse in the box and they're all fine. worked fine a few hours ago, there is no chance of water getting in anywhere as its sunny up north for a change.

this is a strange one, she must be in one of her moods lol.
i hope its nothing major,and sort of hope someone else has had similar problems and point me in the right direction.

any help much appreciated
cheers danny

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:03
my first thought is the common ignition barrel fault, try wiggling the key around & see if it makes any difference

its wierd how the boost gauge is affected as its purely mechanical & straight off the vac tree, its not electrical at all (inless its reading right & the ECU is holding the engine back)

AlanG
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:10
Danny,other areas to check are the earthing points around the battery mate. Will rule it out at least. HTH.

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:13
thanks will have a go straight after me tea
cheers

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:34
that was strange, just drove down the road indicated left, fast flashing indicators and quite a loud clicking noise coming from behind the dash.
turned round then indicated back on to my road and they worked fine. speedo worked aswell. i'm confused i don't want it to happen again.

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:36
i reckon your ignition barrel is wearing mate

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:41
i won't have to change the full lock set will i? is it common fault and has anyone had to do this before?

many thanks

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 18:47
i won't have to change the full lock set will i? is it common fault and has anyone had to do this before?
it is common but i can't remember if its the actual barrel or the black-box/electrical wiring that goes. If its the barrel then yes you will have to change all the locks but its really easy, i've done about 3 sets & only takes about 1hr to change the lot. If its the wiring/contacts i assume the unit is on a plug on the loom somewhere so just a case of stripping the column, pulling the black-box off & replacing it

there must be a topic on here somewhere mate, i've seen brought up a few times over the years

walter leever
Friday 7th August 2009, 19:02
Quite a normal thing to happen on our "old ladies",you'll probably have to change(i don't know what it's called in englandish :ready2go:)a round disc with contacts on it,it's on the opposite side of the ignition lock.

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 19:13
cheers i shall be down the stealers in the morning for a price.

walter leever
Friday 7th August 2009, 19:31
Had a look on Vadis nr is: 9447803 ,i found the name:P

Starterswitch(here it costs 48 euros,new)

cheers,walter

p fandango
Friday 7th August 2009, 19:53
Had a look on Vadis nr is: 9447803 ,i found the name:P

Starterswitch(here it costs 48 euros,new)
i was just about to go out & have a nose at BT & get some pics, but i remembered i've put the cowling back on the steering column now DOH

danny-R
Friday 7th August 2009, 20:00
lol thanks anyway

p fandango
Saturday 8th August 2009, 15:39
lol thanks anyway
here you go mate

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09326/picture_001946.jpg

http://xs842.xs.to/xs842/09326/picture_003278.jpg

Jod T5
Saturday 8th August 2009, 16:33
my first thought is the common ignition barrel fault, try wiggling the key around & see if it makes any difference

I agree with this diagnosis....
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=54629
Jod