PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and mods.. eeeekk!

Mental Wealth Doctor
Friday 7th August 2009, 12:10
Basically had a dumbass in a van, an yes it was white, decide to change lanes as i was over taking, needless to say i was not a happy bunny, two dented doors and smashed windscreen, now in the process of gettin it sorted, have'nt had the car picked up yet as ive got a few mods, that i have'nt informed my insurance about, please do not give me grief i realize, its a bit slack of me, but to inform them every other week of something new seemed daft. any advice on this matter is most appreciated, do you guys think i'll be alright leaving the exhaust and poly mounts?
basically ive got
twin rear exhaust
bilstien front shocks
mbc and twin dv { which i shall remove}
poly tie bar engine mount, and gearbox mount.
Crome grill {which i'll remove}
also ive no longer got recirc valve so will the turbo be ok with the blanking plate fitted?

850 2.5 10v
Friday 7th August 2009, 12:23
The only advice I can give you (as I have posted about many times) is always tell your insurance about any mods to your car.

You could always claim that the harder stuff to remove was already on the car and play dumb - I mean who looks at your shocks?

Remove anything you can.

And never do it again!!

Cheers

BruceT
Friday 7th August 2009, 12:49
Go through the Third parties insurance?

JUDGENINJA
Friday 7th August 2009, 13:05
you could probably do with putting a recirc valve back on.

Suspension and bushes will probably be OK, but I'd think about the Exhaust if it makes a more throaty sound.

wegal
Friday 7th August 2009, 13:28
Depened on if they asses the car or not, mods that can be seen should always be declared as you have no chnace of them not being noticed.

Shocks are not a problem so long as the car doesnt sit lower, you can fit any brand you wish as they would or could be argued as straight replacement

I have brembo disks but im not bothering to tell the insurance as they are exactly the same as the standard disk, i put them on cos they where cheaper and a better brand to replace knackered disks

Good luck

AlanG
Friday 7th August 2009, 14:25
Mate,the insurance companies try to wriggle out of paying any way they can. We pay them,they don't pay us. However they don't always send an assessor. The only accident I was ever in was when someone didn't look and drove straight into the N/S/F of my Toyota Celica at a give way. Normally they just ask for 3 estimates from recognised repairers. In my case it was assessed by the ins company as it was regarded as a classic and as such it had to be valued.HTH.

nobananas
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:12
Insurance companies can be right a-holes. My sister in law had the side of her Saxo (yes I know !) wrecked after some divot got in the wrong lane on a roundabout and cut across without looking resulting in a ruined front wing, door and rear panel. The assessor came out and advised her insurance company that she had different alloy wheels to the standard, a different exhaust and the car was lower. Her insurance company removed all her cover and told her that as far as they were concerned she hadn't been covered by them for the last 9 months. Despite the accident being caused by someone else she ended up paying for her car to be repaired AND the other persons car. A very expensive lesson ! (We immediately declared every mod on the T5 afterwards !) I would get as much of your motor looking as standard as you can in case the assessor from hell is sent out !

Mental Wealth Doctor
Sunday 16th August 2009, 16:01
looks like the exhaust and lpg is covered, not sure about dv, defo take that and mbc off me recons. thanks all for replies.

Volvostorm
Sunday 16th August 2009, 16:17
Mine wasn't bothered about the LPG either, I have told them about the DV and the different wheels, they were more worried about weathered it had locking wheel nuts or not!

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 16th August 2009, 16:50
possibly not a good idea to mention this on a forum. i've heard stories that insurance companies look on forums.

cherry1809
Sunday 16th August 2009, 17:11
Surely if it's being claimed from the 3rd partys insurance the mods won't matter???
Whether he declared them or not on his insurance, Makes no difference to the other insurance company.
When some pissed up old woman banged my Bluebirds front wing, The assessor the 3rd party sent round just offered me book value on the car, saying it was uneconomical repair. Even though all my mods were declared and it had over £4k worth, he could still only offer me £425 and let me keep the car.