PDA

View Full Version : New Rubber...

cornclose
Thursday 6th August 2009, 23:00
After having had a pair of Continental Contact 3's on the rear for almost a year and which are showing no real signs of wear after about 12,000 miles and still giving great grip in all conditions, I decided to get the same on the front.

What a fantastic improvement over the Maxxis MA-V1's on the front which were down to about 2mm. They were ok dry, but terrible in the wet. The Conti's are superb after having just had a blast in the nasty rain which seems to have been hanging over Notts for the past three months!

Not the cheapest of performance tyre, but well worth it. Highly recommended!

lance
Friday 7th August 2009, 10:26
Ive got uniroyal rainsport 2 and on good surfaces in a straight line in the rain no loss of traction at all

wegal
Friday 7th August 2009, 13:32
Ouch... i hope that they last longer than they did on the front of my S60.

I got 5k out of them. Worst tyre i ever fitted, like you i though they where fine on the rear until I melted them at a track day.

Very expensive, noisy and poor wearing was my view of them. Have a look at vrdestein next time, half the price 10 times the tyre.

Anyway I have a heavy right foot so maybe that is why they died in such a short time, hope your last longer.

uzyg
Friday 7th August 2009, 14:14
Ive got uniroyal rainsport 2 and on good surfaces in a straight line in the rain no loss of traction at all

I was thinking of getting some UR 2's. The reviews for these have been excellent in the wet and very good in the dry...Going to have to wait until its time for the current tyres to get down to a low enough level to be changed.

Libra
Friday 7th August 2009, 14:34
Try this for tyre reviews

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Grid/

uzyg
Friday 7th August 2009, 14:44
Try this for tyre reviews

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Grid/

Yep, thats the site that made me think about trying the UniRoyals.

Although not too many reviewers have had the tyres on a volvo s60, so it may well act differently. Good to see Lance gives them a thumbs up.

lance
Friday 7th August 2009, 14:48
The best thing for me about the rainsport 2 was the price there were on special at WST (trade) £64 per corner plus vat!
But there the best Ive ever had on my phase 2 for sure

cornclose
Friday 7th August 2009, 21:35
Well time will tell how long they last. I suspect I'll get more than 5000 miles out of them though...

They grip so well, especially in the wet, that it seems like there's hardly any difference between wet and dry. Was really going for it in a straight line yesterday in the rain and the old tyres would have slipped in 3rd and 4th no problem, but these just stick.

As for noise, they're a lot quieter than the old tyres, but then I'd expect that as they were down to about 2mm and quite hard.

v70torslanda
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:33
I'm just about to get rid of the 'Ditch Finder General' P6000s. They've been on the back for 25k and although they're only down to about 3.5mm (4.5mm in the centre) because of the load index (91) soft sidewalls, on the front they now look punctured, despite being at 32psi.

I like Falkens, ZE912 in 94W speed/load index. A good all rounder, smooth, quiet and progressive breakaway if you get anywhere near the limit :O OK in the wet, too but then I'm not running 304RICA, it's a diesel auto (or as Dave would say 'An old fart's car') :)

I will always specify the higher load index especially on the front because of the strain the front tyres are put under. They do all the steering, acceleration and most of the braking. Given the load capacity of the estate they're a good idea on the rear too.

The best thing about them is I just got 4. Delivered. For half a monkey. If you've got someone who will fit them for you then I can't recommend these guys highly enough!

Camskill Tyres Linky Thingy (http://www.camskill.co.uk)

Great service and inexpensive to boot!

J

cornclose
Friday 7th August 2009, 22:45
'Ditch Finder' - I like the term. I had to 'tread' very carefully on the outgoing tyres when wet...

v70torslanda
Friday 7th August 2009, 23:03
'Ditch Finder' - I like the term. I had to 'tread' very carefully on the outgoing tyres when wet...

Not mine, nicked from Robbie (the man with the impossibly clean V70!). He's currently on hols BTW and sent me a text message telling of a 430 km tailback in France last Saturday. Dammit! those Frenchies know how to do road chaos!

j

cornclose
Saturday 8th August 2009, 07:26
Cool.

His wheels were certainly cleaner than mine. Not now though! :troutslap

:duck:

RobbieH
Sunday 9th August 2009, 16:45
Bonjour from sunny Franceland. The barge is not so clean now nor the wheels :B_thumb:.

I fitted new GY Eagle F1's to the back last October and new GY Eagle Excellence to the front about 6 weeks ago. I guess they are "run in" now after a 900 mile run to the Alps. Had a good run the other day back over the Lauteret pass from Col du Galibier to Alpe d'Huez where we were staying. Immense fun, to the annoyance of the French Evo driver in front of me :mischievo , both ABS and DSTC banging in and out (wifey not too pleased with me either LOL). Great tyres all round and quieter than the last set of F1's all round, although they did last some 18k (from second hand with about 6mm tread left), the fronts were down to the wear indicators, if not slightly beyond :sorry:. Change to new ones was remarkable.

v70torslanda
Sunday 9th August 2009, 23:50
Picked her up yesterday afternoon with four new Falkens fitted. As Robbie says, the difference is unreal.

I may have to get some bigger brakes :o

;uv'n'stuff

J