PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan override switching

SaffronC70
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 22:57
Hi guys

Is it worth installing an override switch to bring on the cooling fans to keep air flowing though the intercooling ?

Mainly for use on 1/4 days ?

Cheers

Chris

:riceboy:

p fandango
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 22:59
i'm doing it, it will get rid of the warm air while your sat in the warm up lane atleast but doubt it will make any difference on the actual run

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 23:04
Are you sure it will not effect the normal running temp of the car if the fan is running when not needed?, last thing you want to do is give your car a thrashing and not have it upto normal operating temp.

SaffronC70
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 23:07
Not going to run it all the time, only when queing. Just a boredom brainwave !

p fandango
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 23:09
for the sake of a relay & a switch its got to be worth it

Al115
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 23:11
Cov - what is it with you! Any excuse for more 12V fun and games, eh!!! :)

Alastair

p fandango
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 23:14
Cov - what is it with you! Any excuse for more 12V fun and games, eh!!! :)
you can never have to many gadgets :wink:

swordy21
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 01:05
you can never have to many gadgets :wink:
Thats what my wife said!!!!!!!!!

About me - LOL

swordy21
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 01:07
BTW - would this really work - as mine gets really really really really hot on the way in to work some mornings, sat in the traffic. Someone doo tell how to do it please!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 01:10
Swordy, IMHO Change your Tstat. Get an 87 degree one. It will safely allow your engine to run 3 degrees colder than before.

siamblue
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 02:09
Swordy There must be a problem with your car, Mine S70 sits at just under 3 o'clcok all of the time when warmed up, The other day i sat with the car running for nearly a hour with the aircon on waiting for the missus car just sat at the same level.

Gary

BTW - would this really work - as mine gets really really really really hot on the way in to work some mornings, sat in the traffic. Someone doo tell how to do it please!

swordy21
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 09:47
Thanks guys. Normally it is OK, as you say sits at 3 O/C, just on the odd occasion recently, on hot days in traffic going nowhere, surrounded by lorries, no airflow, temp gauge creeps up abit, maybe me being a bit paranoid, but I once did blow a Tstat housing cap off and boiled every ounce of water in the car (not the T5 tho). Should have brought some Tea bags with me.

p fandango
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 14:12
Someone doo tell how to do it please!
i haven't looked into it yet, but the hardest it can be is 2 relays (1 for the - & the other for the +) to connect the fan straight to the battery. But with a voltage tester you'll probably find the fan already has a perminant + or - & just needs the 1 switching wire bypassing. Then its just tripping the relay(s) from a dash mounted switch

jmuggali
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 23:17
i haven't looked into it yet, but the hardest it can be is 2 relays (1 for the - & the other for the +) to connect the fan straight to the battery. But with a voltage tester you'll probably find the fan already has a perminant + or - & just needs the 1 switching wire bypassing. Then its just tripping the relay(s) from a dash mounted switch

Fan already has a - all you have to do is fit a + feed and a switch, fitted mine while I sorted the problem of the fan not kicking in.

p fandango
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 16:01
Fan already has a - all you have to do is fit a + feed and a switch, fitted mine while I sorted the problem of the fan not kicking in.
nice one, i know what i'll be doing the weekend