PDA

View Full Version : Cabin temp sensor....

Happygilmore78
Friday 31st July 2009, 11:56
Someone said it may be the cabin temp sensor that causes the two flashing lights on my controls for a bout 20 seconds, and that i could try cleaning it. Tried popping it out, i take it its the vented thing next to sunroof controls etc? is this the correct way to get it out?

thebadger
Friday 31st July 2009, 12:27
Temp sensor should be beside the HU in the dash, small vent between the stereo & the steering wheel....

Happygilmore78
Friday 31st July 2009, 12:58
Is there a knack to getting it out? i am trying to prise it from my dash, but it looks like its going to snap

Filterlab
Friday 31st July 2009, 13:01
You can vacuum it clean, use the little round brush thing on your nozzle (oo-er) to rid it of dust 'n crud.

thebadger
Friday 31st July 2009, 13:26
^ agreed..

Failing that, take out the HU & take it from behind! Lol!

Happygilmore78
Friday 31st July 2009, 14:14
Haha...........sound advice, with a twist

Baj
Friday 31st July 2009, 15:39
You would need to remove the whole HVAC unit to get to it but that way lies madness.

Remove pen holder above gear lever.
Undo torx screws (drop at least one down the little hole and spend an hour removing gear trim to retrieve)
Tilt bottom of HVAC towards roof and pull whole unit out in parallel direction.
Try again
Panic as you think it will snap.
Crush fingers while trying to lever the sides
Smack HVAC unit into your face as it pops off.

Disconnecting the plugs on the back will give you lots of bad and expensive problems.
Disconnecting the battery for a while beforehand should stop this being a problem. but no promises.

The front cover of the HVAC unit should come off but I have not tried so dont know how but I have seen pictures.

I have also been told that the unit has something to do with the airbags and needs to be treated with love. I dont know how true this is so go carefully.

EDIT: Scratch that. I have just noticed you have a C70 so different dash. God knows :D

thebadger
Friday 31st July 2009, 15:54
Dude... he has a C70!

No such issue!

thebadger
Friday 31st July 2009, 15:55
EDIT: Scratch that. I have just noticed you have a C70 so different dash. God knows :D

Fair play!

AlanG
Friday 31st July 2009, 16:23
Could always trade it and move up to a Fiat Panda...........:bog:

kyebosh
Friday 31st July 2009, 19:10
This any help to you?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=cabin+temp+sensor

Happygilmore78
Friday 31st July 2009, 21:02
Awesome!! thanks for the link Kybosh, just what i needed :-)

p.s. Couldnt fit in a Panda, i would have to sit on rear seat as I am a Yeti

p.p.s. Thanks for all the effort Baj, i wouldnt say no to an S60 - but it looks like mine is a little easier to do thank god

thebadger
Saturday 1st August 2009, 01:40
Not swinging a million miles off the mark, was I?

JelT5
Saturday 1st August 2009, 06:59
Undo torx screws (drop at least one down the little hole and spend an hour removing gear trim to retrieve)
Tilt bottom of HVAC towards roof and pull whole unit out in parallel direction.
Try again
Panic as you think it will snap.
Crush fingers while trying to lever the sides
Smack HVAC unit into your face as it pops off.

That should be in Haynes mate :)

Couldn't have put it better myself; absolute b@stard of a job!

Happygilmore78
Monday 3rd August 2009, 08:59
Well guys, did it at weekend, pulled out stereo, and then first switch and fumbled for the 2 clips on back of sensor, which i found the hardest - but got them eventually.

Took out the sensor and it was filthy! looked like it had had a nest build in the shaft leading to fan - so hoovered and cleaned with cotton bud and now..............IT WORKS!!!!!

So chuffed it was only that, thanks guys :)

thebadger
Monday 3rd August 2009, 09:22
I did guess that the stereo would have to be removed.

It never ceases to amaze me how dirty the inside of the car can get, even if you only use it once in a while & try to keep it really clean!

Glad it was just dirty! Parts can cost more than they seem to be worth!