PDA

View Full Version : lowering advice

Shortbusdriver1969
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:22
I am going to lower my 850, I got a dealer that can supply set of four sprigs for just over £100.00 plus PnP.
I am told I need to buy some coil compresser for the front ones,
is there any do's and dont's while doing this job :-) ?
many thanks in advance
neil

p fandango
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:33
I am going to lower my 850, I got a dealer that can supply set of four sprigs for just over £100.00 plus PnP.
I am told I need to buy some coil compresser for the front ones,
is there any do's and dont's while doing this job :-) ?
many thanks in advance
neil
tbh i'd compare the price of getting a local garage to fit the springs for you against the price of buying some springs compressors, i don't think there wil be much in it

Shortbusdriver1969
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:37
spring compressors apx £20.00 from halfrauds
motosave gave a quote for £200.00,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 3375_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

irf
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:40
i bought some compressors for 25 quid(halfords iirc) and still sometimes use them. Try and jack the whole front up, makes it easier with the anti roll bar as there's no tension. Might be an idea to change the top mounts at the same time.

Shortbusdriver1969
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:43
I was looking at top mounts from same place, so that is a good point cheers :-)

irf
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:47
get genuine volvo ones, i've heard of others lasting as little as 3 months!

p fandango
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:50
spring compressors apx £20.00 from halfrauds
motosave gave a quote for £200.00,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 3375_langId_-1_categoryId_165469
thats not a bad price on the compressors, but £200 to fit them their having a laugh. I'm not sure on estimated fitting time but i bet labour shouldn't be as dear as that

Shortbusdriver1969
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:55
the £200 is supply and fit, the springs I saw was on parts for volvo online AkA PVS

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_187_662&products_id=3838

thebadger
Thursday 30th July 2009, 14:56
Playing with spring compressors is a risky thing, they never look like they are sitting right on the springs!

Have you tried a local indy? I got new shocks fitted all round for less than £120.00...

(I supplied the shocks)

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 2nd August 2009, 12:22
get genuine volvo ones, i've heard of others lasting as little as 3 months!

springs or top mounts ???
are there any polly ones around ?

irf
Sunday 2nd August 2009, 12:26
top mounts. dunno about polys.

t5_carl
Monday 3rd August 2009, 17:12
please make sure u use a spring compressor, last time i didnt, i shot 2 foot in the air and i aint small either!nearly broke my arms!

850 t5 vs 600cc
Monday 3rd August 2009, 18:50
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45986/Van-Car-Accessories/Mechanics-Tools/Coil-Spring-Compressor-Kit

£14 and very good as i used them on the front and back on the volvo t5. A very good grip and better then halford i had before.

skirmish998
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 04:54
having just replaced my top mounts i thought i would help where i found issues. Get yourself some spring compressors. YOU WILL NEED THEM. Jack front of car one side at a time is easier other wise you'll have a job changing one side then repeating the other side anyway as you need to keep the springs under tension at all times until removed from the shock. either way its a long laborious job. you'll need a special tool for undoing the cross shaped nut that holds the upper spring mount in place.
Jack up corner or front of car. remove wheel. undo the two nuts on the bolts holding the lower end of the shock but LEAVE bolts in place. clamp spring compressors as wide as you can get them on the spring and begin to compress the spring. Working from the top undo the three nuts on the top of the strut tower/mount in the engine bay. using a 21mm spanner and 9 mm spanner undo the large bolt on the top of the shock poking through the strut tower/mount. undo the upper attachment of the drop link, remove the abs sensor cable and move to one side. remove the lower two bolts and ensure the springs are under tension. remove the three nuts completely from top and drop the whole unit out through the wheel area. taking care not to drop or release the spring clamps. tighten or remove carefully and readjust the clamps if need be, they need to be as far apart as possible but not on the last coil at either end as i understand it. this will help for next job. now using a helper or workbench vice clamp. hold the shock body steady and put 9 mm spanner on top of shock, then remove the cross shaped nut. this will release the upper spring seat or lower top mount. replace with new volvo or HD ipd number ideally later. spring will now come off shock. if replacing the spring carefully remove the compressors and place on new springs, if re using on the koni fsd. keep carefully to one side and somewhere safe. rebuild as per new shock instructions. or reverse the above and repeat on the other side. I haven't tried the rear suspension so can't advise on those.
hope this helps or gives you an insight into the job in hand. Took me and mechanic mate about an hour to do on side on the front as the lower top mount had self destructed and caused problems....

bsr295
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 12:48
I have spring compressors [sykes pickavant] ysed em loads do u want to borrow em il drop em of at work for you.

Gaz