PDA

View Full Version : Strutt Brace Fitted..!

dicky b t5
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 16:40
Just got back from the test drive after finally fitting said brace , Cant believe wot a differance its made , Lot less Torque steer when you put your foot down & less body roll in the corners , car feels alot tighter . Highly recomended mod for those who've not got one & not to costly , fitted in about 15 mins....Brill....!. :B_steerin

BagR
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 16:48
what type of brace was it mate? A genuine Volvo one?

dicky b t5
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 16:57
BAGR ,

Hi mate , It is genuine Volvo , part No VO9204180 , Called Spring Strut Support about £70 inc vat , Hope this is of help .

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 01:45
ME TOO.....shiny Volvo BLING....
I thought fitting one was purely psycological. But I did notice the less roll during cornering.
Not really checked the torque steer but I'm not really sure how a brace would lower this.....?

chriskay
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 10:58
ME TOO.....shiny Volvo BLING....
I thought fitting one was purely psycological. But I did notice the less roll during cornering.
Not really checked the torque steer but I'm not really sure how a brace would lower this.....?
I'm not sure how, but the strut brace does reduce torque steer to a noticeable degree. Must be something to do with reducing the amount of independent movement between the left & right suspension.

dicky b t5
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 16:42
CHRISKAY..

I think you must be right mate , Or maybe just a bit of Volvo magic...!.
If it improves a cars handling that much why don't they fit them as standard...?. :B_steerin

Andy
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 16:44
CHRISKAY..

I think you must be right mate , Or maybe just a bit of Volvo magic...!.
If it improves a cars handling that much why don't they fit them as standard...?. :B_steerin

Down to cost mostly i suppose :(

chriskay
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 17:02
No, just means they didn't design the suspension very well in the first place :slap:

dicky b t5
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 17:06
Ho! wot a lovely little piece of Aluminium...! :remybussi

mat562be
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 18:54
A mechanic told me that car manufacturers are reluctant to fit strut braces as standard since they stiffen up the movement in the front end of the car that normally occurs when the suspension turrets move independently; this results in more vibration and torque being transmitted into the front bulkhead and the shell in general, and apparently is far more likely to result in sqeaks and rattles from trim - which dealers hate as they tend to be a time consuming/constantly recurring/ warranty job....

As a result, they make do with the bog-standard set up, which, unless woefully bad, won't be noticed by johnny taxpayer. Unlike the squeaks and rattles....

Bison
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 21:48
Mine is ordered and should be getting it on Friday! Only paid £62 woo got trade price!! Thanks Marie in Parts @ Johnsons Volvo Gloucester.

Bison

splatt
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 21:56
Amazing how the price varies..75.76 from mine...I do live in the South East..where everything costs more!!!

swordy21
Wednesday 1st June 2005, 22:23
Ah ha - I drove to the midlands for mine - £65 +VAT, mind you dwarfed by the rest of the bill, (RICA, 2xfront shocks, ITG filter, oil change, front n/s drop link, labour and various other bits),

Oh and the optimax to get there and back -(270 miles) - actually quite a bit of cash for these strut braces all in all. Still love it tho................