PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump?

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 09:48
Got the old temp guage fluctuating again...

(Thermo and temp sensor replaced under a year ago or so.)

However I have driven the car across town this morning and the temp guage stayed absolutely steady with no movement. It seems to fluctuate when under load and at higher speeds.

Volvo dealer reckons that if its fluctuating under load and higher speeds then it could be the water pump...

Is this a big job / expensive job???

Any advice out there?

Cheers

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 11:13
In with my friendly Volvo dealer today so will know the prognosis soon...

850 2.5 10v
Monday 3rd August 2009, 10:21
Thermostat replaced.

However; guage still fluctuating (on the cold side, not hot)

Temp sensor it must be or water pump - always goes to 5 'o' clock under load, overtaking, going up a hill.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

orse
Wednesday 5th August 2009, 19:28
Is the rest of your dash and gauges working correctly?Wondering if you could have a faulty temp gauge.The way i see it,i cant see how it can be the pump as if the pump was faulty in any way it would either be leaking or making the car run hot/boil cant see the pump over cooling the car to give you gauge reading of 5 'o'clock

flyingbrick
Wednesday 5th August 2009, 20:46
Is the rest of your dash and gauges working correctly?Wondering if you could have a faulty temp gauge.The way i see it,i cant see how it can be the pump as if the pump was faulty in any way it would either be leaking or making the car run hot/boil cant see the pump over cooling the car to give you gauge reading of 5 'o'clock

Agree with orse. Temp sender, cant see it being your water pump mate.

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 6th August 2009, 11:19
1:30pm today over to Volvo to take their 'master tech' out for a spin.

I bet the guage doesn't move! They never do when you get to a garage....

I think you are all correct though and its the temp sensor.

Will update.

PS: No water loss so point taken on pump.

All guages working fine (touches wood)

Cheers

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 6th August 2009, 15:35
UPDATE:

Was with Volvo dealer for 1 hour...

Took master tech out car did its thing with the guage.

They took it in and had a look at it - checked for any codes, checked the ecu, checked wiring (not in great detail of course) and reckon it may be the temp sensor.

However they thought that it could be a broken (or breaking wire) from the temp sens to the ecu.

Only way to test is to replace temp sens and see what happens.

No charge for the 1 hour spent!

Booked in for temp sensor (at discounted rate...)

Lets see what happens on 15 August.

Cheers

smudgethecat
Thursday 6th August 2009, 15:44
UPDATE:

Was with Volvo dealer for 1 hour...

Took master tech out car did its thing with the guage.

They took it in and had a look at it - checked for any codes, checked the ecu, checked wiring (not in great detail of course) and reckon it may be the temp sensor.

However they thought that it could be a broken (or breaking wire) from the temp sens to the ecu.

Only way to test is to replace temp sens and see what happens.

No charge for the 1 hour spent!

Booked in for temp sensor (at discounted rate...)

Lets see what happens on 15 August.

Cheers
thought it could be broken /breaking wire from the temp sens ???any half decent spark should be able to test the wiring for faults "master techs" my arse

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 6th August 2009, 16:56
thought it could be broken /breaking wire from the temp sens ???any half decent spark should be able to test the wiring for faults "master techs" my arse

The wire I'm referring to runs from the temp sensor all the way to the ecu, so thats along the wing along the front panel and into the ecu.

As its part of a loom that's when it can get tricky apparently, ie finding where the break actually is.

I did mention testing the circuit - however I can't remember the response.

Anyway temp sensor being replaced so will see how things are after that.

I'm sure they know what they are doing and to top it they aren't inventing work and charging me for it.

Cheers