PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, interesting...

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 11:39
My 4mm and 6mm vacuum hoses arrived today and I was going to leave changing them until I met up with Fandango in a few weeks time. However, I've just had a perkins under the bonnet and it appears that the hose going to the wastegate actuator has not only corroded, but has in fact completely split and departed from the nipple.

Hmmm, watch this space. An after-work session is on the horizon. All the pipes seem rather knackered to say the least! :)

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 12:00
Just thought, it should make the boost go right up but it hasn't changed at all, in fact if anything it's weaker. :shifty:

Is there some kind of self protection or limiting somewhere? There's no boost spikes at all, just very smooth at WOT.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:39
I've just had a perkins under the bonnet.

Are you sure you have a car and not a wagon only Perkins make diesel engines. Or is it one of their new 850 series engines?

http://www.web-photos.co.uk/perkins850seris.jpg

Look at that all nice and clean.

:ices_rofl

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:42
Hehehehe, not that kind of perkins - a butchers!

http://www.timlawson.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/pictorial/normal_Vintage%20Butchers%20Van.jpg

thebadger
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:47
Have you replaced all the hoses?

If not, another may have split due to the new found strength of the actuator pipe, or you may have pulled something out while struggling to fit one!

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:55
Have you replaced all the hoses?

If not, another may have split due to the new found strength of the actuator pipe, or you may have pulled something out while struggling to fit one!

I haven't replaced any of them yet, I just had a quick check to see how knackered the existing ones are before I change them all. Knackered is the word!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:55
You could have a leak if your acutator pipe has split, that would mean no boost control unless something was bleeding off the pressure somewhere.

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:57
Another split pipe perhaps?

Dangerous Dave
Monday 27th July 2009, 13:59
Check your one way valves too, mine was ££££ed. and my injector seals leaking badly, and my CBV leaking profusely. Just another day in the Volvo world.

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 14:01
:)

Sounds like a good day. I'll have a blow through them when I change the hoses. They are exceptionally work out, moreso than I imagined they would be.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 27th July 2009, 14:04
I attached a length of hosepipe to my intake with gaffa tape and blew into it, a bit bodged I know, but it showed where the air was leaking from. I've got to borrow my dads compressor (just moved into a house, and have got no shed or anything at the moment) to put some proper pressure in there.

Filterlab
Monday 27th July 2009, 14:16
Cheers for that, I'll do the hoses first and see what the result is.