PDA

View Full Version : HLM 304 Power Increase

96T5Andy
Sunday 26th July 2009, 10:04
Hello - going to fit the HLM 304 ECU soon, just need to complete a few remaining minor jobs first.

The insurance company want to know how much extra BHP it will give over stock.

I havn't got a custom exhaust, the only thing I do have non-stock is a K&N filter. The cars done about 100k.

I'm sure there must be a few on here with 304's and no other mods - I would just like to know what kind of power you guys have measured. Ive seen in previous posts figures of 250-260 banded about. Would this be a fair estimate or has anyone seen less or more than this?

Thanks

p fandango
Sunday 26th July 2009, 10:24
your about right, probably 270-280bhp on a good day

Tomcat
Sunday 26th July 2009, 12:14
Mines putting out 267 at the wheels but that's with an exhaust as well, your probably looking at about 250 ish...

cameron
Sunday 26th July 2009, 14:36
Mine is 257bhp with the HLM 304 and a pipercross panel filter :D

cherry1809
Sunday 26th July 2009, 16:05
Mines putting out 267 at the wheels but that's with an exhaust as well, your probably looking at about 250 ish...

That seems high for just a re map and exhaust/filter?
That'll be near 300bhp at the flywheel.

Tomcat
Sunday 26th July 2009, 16:23
Meh, I have the printout for it somewhere...

cherry1809
Sunday 26th July 2009, 18:51
Wasn't disputing it, just seemed, well, good :)

Tomcat
Sunday 26th July 2009, 18:56
No probs, wasn't arguing myself.

cameron
Sunday 26th July 2009, 18:57
Yeah i remember that day TC, thats the day the operator couldnt run mine properly and only read 222bhp :grumpy:

Since then its been run properly @ 257bhp with just a map and filter.

I need an exhaust for the other 10bhp or whatever it is the give :D

Jod T5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 22:33
Hello - going to fit the HLM 304 ECU soon, just need to complete a few remaining minor jobs first.

The insurance company want to know how much extra BHP it will give over stock.

I havn't got a custom exhaust, the only thing I do have non-stock is a K&N filter. The cars done about 100k.

I'm sure there must be a few on here with 304's and no other mods - I would just like to know what kind of power you guys have measured. Ive seen in previous posts figures of 250-260 banded about. Would this be a fair estimate or has anyone seen less or more than this?

Thanks

If your insurers want to load your premium for a increase in BHP will they offer a discount for safety features..such as better performing brakes? or a strutt brace to improve handling...

Jod

jez.w
Monday 27th July 2009, 09:37
Dont tell them..............

Yosser
Monday 27th July 2009, 10:20
My renewal has just come round, I declared all the mods and the price only went up by £40. Not bad I'd say.

The broker is Chris Knott, they advertise on here.

Pliskin
Monday 27th July 2009, 11:37
Dont tell them..............

I take it that was a joke, if not, pray you don't have a bump where you are incapacitated and can't return the car to standard before the loss adjuster comes knocking.

I have said it before and I make no apologises for saying it again, insurance companies make it their business to trawl through enthusiast forums such as this to gather information to enable them to refuse future claims.

All it would take is a picture of your car in it's modified state, on the road, for them to knock your claim back, regardless of what state it was in when they examined it.

Remember they are the one's holding the wedge and it's down to you try and get the money out of them.

Nico20V
Monday 27th July 2009, 12:54
Hi all. I got 40BHP extra at peak torque - which gained 70lb, on my R with 18T.
Mines done 165K though and I think the turbo aint as chipper as it once was so I was pretty impressed. Can't speak highly enough of Hamish and his colleagues @HLM. Very professional. My actuator needed adjusting though as it was only giving 0.8bar without which I'd have seen no extra boost and none of the benefit of the remap, so am pleased I had them do the install for me.

96T5Andy
Monday 27th July 2009, 14:52
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.
Shame Admiral don't work on more of a sliding scale with mods -
0-10% BHP increase is free (apparently)
11-25% will cost me £130 extra...

Oh well can't grumble at least i'm not 17 and paying over a grand for a 1 litre

Jod - I would be surprised if they decrease the premium for modified brakes they seem to just add on money for modifications rather than take it off no matter what you improve (unless its an alarm)... If you are speaking from experience and know that this does decrease the premium this is helpful to know, thanks.

AlanG
Monday 27th July 2009, 15:11
All our cars are becoming elderly so unless fresh from an overhall and without a rolling road read out I think it's nigh on impossible to even hazard a guess. When I spoke to Hamish prior to my re-map he said to expect 265-270bhp (280 map) but that would be with everything perfectly healthy. It is healthy and flies like the wind but I'm comparing it to what it used to be,so it's relative. Sooner or later if you declare your mods the insurance companies will be demanding proof of output which will be at our expense. No win situation.

jez.w
Monday 27th July 2009, 16:35
I take it that was a joke, if not, pray you don't have a bump where you are incapacitated and can't return the car to standard before the loss adjuster comes knocking.

I have said it before and I make no apologises for saying it again, insurance companies make it their business to trawl through enthusiast forums such as this to gather information to enable them to refuse future claims.

All it would take is a picture of your car in it's modified state, on the road, for them to knock your claim back, regardless of what state it was in when they examined it.

Remember they are the one's holding the wedge and it's down to you try and get the money out of them.

A few years ago i had a modded CRX Vtec which was lowered and had large alloys, exhaust, uprated brakes etc, etc. I was hit by another car when i was stationary and i was paid out with no questions asked, apart from the alloys you probably couldnt tell, and the alloys were on the car when i bought it so i could say i didnt know they werent standard.

AlanG
Monday 27th July 2009, 16:46
Nice to hear a success story.......:B_thumb:

p fandango
Monday 27th July 2009, 16:51
A few years ago i had a modded CRX Vtec which was lowered and had large alloys, exhaust, uprated brakes etc, etc. I was hit by another car when i was stationary and i was paid out with no questions asked, apart from the alloys you probably couldnt tell, and the alloys were on the car when i bought it so i could say i didnt know they werent standard.
oh dear here we go again. All i can say is you were very lucky, the fact it was guaranteed not your fault as you were stationary is probably the reason they weren't bothered as the money was coming off the other insurance company. If insurance companies think there might be any reason they can get out of paying for a your fault claim they will. Insurance companies have even got access to the information stored on the ECU which is the case of P2 is everything, even down to whether you were wearing your seat belt.

I you do get caught not declaring any mods your insurance is automatically void, however if they find out because of/during an accident claim the third party will still be paid out. Your insurance company will then take you to court to recover those costs back

Jod T5
Monday 27th July 2009, 21:50
Jod - I would be surprised if they decrease the premium for modified brakes they seem to just add on money for modifications rather than take it off no matter what you improve (unless its an alarm)... If you are speaking from experience and know that this does decrease the premium this is helpful to know, thanks.Lol, no i was being, typically sarcastic..Ignore me...
Jod

Jod T5
Monday 27th July 2009, 21:55
oh dear here we go again. All i can say is you were very lucky, the fact it was guaranteed not your fault as you were stationary is probably the reason they weren't bothered as the money was coming off the other insurance company. If insurance companies think there might be any reason they can get out of paying for a your fault claim they will. Insurance companies have even got access to the information stored on the ECU which is the case of P2 is everything, even down to whether you were wearing your seat belt.

I you do get caught not declaring any mods your insurance is automatically void, however if they find out because of/during an accident claim the third party will still be paid out. Your insurance company will then take you to court to recover those costs back

Indeed....
Its called the failure to disclose material information...
A pal of mine spent many years working for a Lloyds syndicate underwriter kicking out non disclosure claims...ironically only for the MIB to shell out instead....
Jod