PDA

View Full Version : Bums! It's Broke!

v70torslanda
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:33
My D5 is borked. And it was all going so well . . .

Some background: We fitted a new timing belt last July and managed to snap a glow plug in the head. I investigated the possibilities of in situ replacement and was advised 'You'll never shift that without taking the head off . . .' Tonight we proved them wrong :nutkick:

Accelerating on to the M60 there was suddenly a horrible vibration, huge amounts of smoke and total loss of power. Opening the bonnet revealed a smashed acoustic engine cover and a tear in the underbonnet felt along with a hole in the cylinder head where the glow plug had once been. ARSE!

Don't know yet whether we can just re-tap the hole and fit a new plug or if we need to helicoil it but at the moment we might need a different car to go on holiday with. On a brighter note it means I can get a grey and black 2005 on acoustic cover, anyone got one?

I'll keep you posted.

luv'n'stuff

J

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:47
Aww, I am really sorry to hear about it J.

I think volvos hate the ones who love them!

I bet if I spanked it every where, never spent any time washing or cleaning it & never got it serviced... it would run till the end of time!

Cruel mistresses!

Tomcat
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:04
Oh crap, that's not good, let's hope it's not too expensive a fix, once it's done though make sure you give the old girl a good slapping, that'll teach her to bite the hand that feeds her!!.

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:17
Sounds like a re-con head............sorry:hidesbehi

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 02:59
I bet if I spanked it every where, never spent any time washing or cleaning it & never got it serviced... it would run till the end of time!
it works on mine lol

cornclose
Friday 24th July 2009, 07:14
Sorry to hear that John. Is this a major job/expense ?

v70torslanda
Friday 24th July 2009, 08:08
Don't know yet. It depends if we can just clean the threads out and fit a new glow plug or if the head needs helicoiling. I doubt we could do that in situ.

'DOHHHHH!

J

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 08:31
I'm hoping that it won't be too big a nightmare for you dude. Did the remenatnts of the plug show thread ot is that a bit too inconclusive?

RobbieH
Friday 24th July 2009, 09:43
Arse! That wasn't good news last night mate. I had visions of getting me tow rope last night when you rang :help:.

I think volvos hate the ones who love them!

Cruel mistresses!

I which case I've got no chance, As John commented when he saw mine - too clean by half! Mind you with the alarm and cruise control problems, maybe it is getting back at me :grumpy:

If the bit that got ejected so hard it blew through the cover and the sound proofing at least it didn't go through the bonnet as well. Now that would look cool (not). :smileypul

Hope you get sorted soon.
R

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 09:52
If it had gone through the bonnet he may have killed a few seagulls!

It's really depressing when bad stuff happens to good people! (and their volvos!)

5seaterT5x2
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:40
http://www.timesert.com/

much better than helicoil and likely done in situ. that being said i am not aquainted with the position etc of glowplugs etc

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:47
That does look like a good bet.. I'd be interested to see the results of an install!

dave stew
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:54
Just heard the bad news. Let me know if you need a car etc.

v70torslanda
Friday 24th July 2009, 23:02
So tonight we got a new glow plug, ran a tap down the hole to clean out the thread, fitted a the glow plug and with everything crossed we started the engine...

It works!

We can go on holiday now! :banana: :B_steerin

J

Tomcat
Friday 24th July 2009, 23:11
Yaaaaaay!, glad that it all worked out ok.

RobbieH
Saturday 25th July 2009, 09:41
RESULT! Nice one mate.

Urm, one question though - you ran a tap through the hole that presumable runs into a cylinder. Any swarf and where did it go?

v70torslanda
Saturday 25th July 2009, 21:36
RESULT! Nice one mate.

Urm, one question though - you ran a tap through the hole that presumable runs into a cylinder. Any swarf and where did it go?

Two precautions Firstly we coated (read slathered) the tap in grease. Second we spun the engine over before screwing the plug in to blow any swarf out of the plug hole.

OK OK! So I'm a cowboy. it worked. Gearbox fluid has been changed too. Nice cherry red fluid. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

J

AlanG
Saturday 25th July 2009, 22:51
I'd say short of removing the head,there isn't anything more precautionary you could do. bit of a gamble but seems you've been lucky there. Job's a good 'un.:B_thumb: