PDA

View Full Version : The MBC question....

Filterlab
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:01
Yes or no? I've been mulling it over for months and months but I've never been sure if it's a good idea or not. I'm very careful with setting things up and I know the results of running too much boost so I'd considered measuring my current boost output (once I've re-vacuum hosed the engine) and seeing what it's actually pushing out and then using an MBC to add a little more boost, not too much though.

What about issues like cooling and fuelling? Surely running more boost requires both of those to be increased. Or is there a safe higher boost level that can be run without having to worry? My car already has a Heico ECU (and no doubt other stuff) so I have no idea what issues I would encounter by fitting an MBC.

To those that have fitted them, how have you got on and what problems have you encountered?

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:26
Hi Rob,I took advice from Hamish before fitting mine and went against the R-Spec instructions by keeping the factory BCS in-line. Dial a power as long as you're cautious.

Filterlab
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:29
So the BCS will still prevent overboost? Does that cause the peak boost level to flutter at WOT?

Also what kind of boost level is 'safe'?

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:34
Only if either the BCS is worn or you open the MBC more than you should but an accurate boost guage(which I don't have) will keep you right.

Filterlab
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:45
I'll definitely have to get a gauge first, I had one a while back for measuring the Saab's boost but it's long gone now. Careful proceeding I think. :)

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:39
Against all advice,I have both re-map and MBC. Jel T5,I think is the only other on here and it works very well as long as you're careful. I took advice before setting mine up this way (Hamish) and it is faultless. Smooth,very,very powerful and surprisingly frugal.:banana:

kevin 850t
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:55
Put's a massive smile on my face :0)

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:59
Put's a massive smile on my face :0)

You got a re-map Kev?

kevin 850t
Friday 24th July 2009, 01:04
I wish, only have the MBC, just got it going again as i had a golf ball sized hole in my pipe

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 01:09
That sounds really painfull mate:scared: Do you mean your car?!!?

kevin 850t
Friday 24th July 2009, 01:33
That sounds really painfull mate:scared: Do you mean your car?!!?

lol, yes, the car thank goodness

i have elephant tapped it up for now and the pipe was ordered earlier, boost gauge not working as the hose i have used is thin and has bent up somewhere in the dash, so i'm driving blind to the pressure.

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 02:32
13psi is considered to be the safe limit for running a MBC on the standard ECU in fuelling terms. As your running a remap tho the fuelling will have been turned up but i still wouldn't go much higher due to the conrods, you'll still notice a BIG improvement. Now for the warning, due to the remap running a higher boost level the factory boost limit (15psi ish) will have been either raised or removed setting the MBC higher than this could result in bent conrods which is why i advice against it. Another reason i don't recommend the 2 is because personally i don't think the remap is needed, as the MBC has control of the boost all the remap will be doing is adjusting the timing/ignition.

Running the MBC inline with the factory BCS will still remove the factory limp home mode, inless you set the MBC lower than 6psi. This will should still give an advantage as the boost up until then will spool alot quicker

aslong as your car isn't ME7 there shouldn't be any problems running an MBC, the ECU is very adaptive & will compensate for any changes depending on readings from other sensors.

i ran an MBC for over 5years with the only issue being me setting the boost as close to the boost cut as possible, this wasn't really a problem just meant i had to throw it down a could of gears to keep load down as not to excessively spike the boost & hit the limit when i floor'd it. Even knowing how to drive it i still hit the limiter many times & the cars still going strong

i'm now using an Apexi AVC-R electric boost controller (still with the BCS removed) & gives me more control of the boost than even the ECU had. The boost curve can be adjusted per 500rpm. Boost raised/lowered per gear. User adjustable overboost button & much more

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 02:33
Jel T5,I think is the only other on here and it works very well as long as you're careful.
he only runs the MBC on the drag strip

PaulZX
Friday 24th July 2009, 12:34
....i'm now using an Apexi AVC-R electric boost controller (still with the BCS removed) & gives me more control of the boost than even the ECU had. The boost curve can be adjusted per 500rpm. Boost raised/lowered per gear. User adjustable overboost button & much more

I've got one of those apexi things on the zed... you really need to come round, and show me how to work it when you've got a spare hour... :D

And I'm on an MBC with no remap, and she's a rocket with comfy seats hitting around the 300bhp mark...

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 12:41
I think I'll give it a go then, but first I'm going to change all the vacuum hoses and then get a gauge so I know where I'm starting from.

Cheers all. ;)

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:27
I've got one of those apexi things on the zed... you really need to come round, and show me how to work it when you've got a spare hour... :D
promise i'll be round soon, i was planning on popping round this afternoon but the roads are chaos so going to hit the Stella already lol. Might pop in tomorrow if your free!!

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:34
I think I'll give it a go then, but first I'm going to change all the vacuum hoses and then get a gauge so I know where I'm starting from.
850's have got a gauge as standard :haha: lol

you won't be disappointed with it

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 15:31
850's have got a gauge as standard

But it has no numbers written on it! :nutkick:

:)

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 15:59
Pens are available in the giftshop.

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 16:57
But it has no numbers written on it! :nutkick:

end of the white is 15psi(ish), & tbh i've got NA gauges in my now so i haven't got the gauge either lol

stevie69
Friday 24th July 2009, 16:58
iv had a mbc on my 304 ricad 850 turned up to 1.3bar for about a year now with no probs.

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 17:42
Pens are available in the giftshop.

:hilarious

end of the white is 15psi(ish), & tbh i've got NA gauges in my now so i haven't got the gauge either lol

I love the "ish" bit, that's the kind of measurements I want when tuning the difference between higher performance and engine destruction. Well, it was right-ish. ;)

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 17:43
iv had a mbc on my 304 ricad 850 turned up to 1.3bar for about a year now with no probs.

Cheers matey. I love hearing stuff like that as it gives me confidence to go ahead and do it.

PaulZX
Friday 24th July 2009, 17:56
promise i'll be round soon, i was planning on popping round this afternoon but the roads are chaos so going to hit the Stella already lol. Might pop in tomorrow if your free!!

I'll be in all day tomorrow matejust txt me 5 mins before you leave to make sure tho lol....

stevie69
Friday 24th July 2009, 17:58
no prob.mine goes about 4mm of the end of the white on the dash boost guage..

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:18
i agree i used to run about the same only on a stock ECU, but certainly wouldn't advice anyone else to be so silly

http://xs941.xs.to/xs941/09305/interior5509.jpg

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:28
I'll be in all day tomorrow matejust txt me 5 mins before you leave to make sure tho lol....
will do mate, got a quite a few things to do but i'll be round sometime because i need B&Q as well

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:30
Didn't think the S70 had the boost guage,Rob........Am I missing something here??

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:41
Didn't think the S70 had the boost guage,Rob........Am I missing something here??
they haven't, i've been winding Filterlab up about it :)

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:47
Yes, because I have to purchase a gauge before I can do anything. :) Although I'd be a little sceptical measuring the boost by the naked dash gauge, a little hit and miss to say the least.

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:51
Although I'd be a little sceptical measuring the boost by the naked dash gauge, a little hit and miss to say the least.
whats the worst that can happen

:hidesbehi

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 18:59
Banana shaped rods...........or a ventilated block.:smileypul.....

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:01
Or several components that should be out of sight spread liberally across all 10 lanes of the M25 western section. :(

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:06
Or several components that should be out of sight spread liberally across all 10 lanes of the M25 western section. :(
done that on the A46, but it was a Suzuki jeep so it deserved it lol

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:16

No quibble there.........got any pics we can laugh at??:haha:

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:23
No quibble there.........got any pics we can laugh at??:haha:
only one before it blew up, & i'm not going to rumiliate myself by posting it up lol

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:48
:pants:

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:52
:pants:
nope, just had alook at the pic & its even uglier than i remember so defo not being posted lol

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:07
It's ok Ped I WON'T TELL ANYONE THAT YOU HAD A GAY LITTLE SUZUKI JEEP!!:band:

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:07

Thoroughly deserved. :)

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:22
It's ok Ped I WON'T TELL ANYONE THAT YOU HAD A GAY LITTLE SUZUKI JEEP!!:band:
actually it was quite fun, low geared & RWD when in 2WD & drifted lovely, plus with the baloon tyres it just bounced off the kerbs if you got it wrong lol

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:28
actually it was quite fun, low geared & RWD when in 2WD & drifted lovely, plus with the baloon tyres it just bounced off the kerbs if you got it wrong lol

Was it a Samurai or a Vitara?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:51
I dunno, the vitara (hairdressers weekend wagon for the....) was actually a fun wee car, me & C had a shot of a LHD one in greece, good fun for chucking about the roads perched on the edges of cliffs!

Of course there could have been tragedy if we crashed! One of us might have been hurt!

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:56
Was it a Samurai or a Vitara?
it was an SJ410, an earlier version of the Samurai. I had the luzury verison because it had rear seats lol
http://xs941.xs.to/xs941/09305/suzuki313.jpg

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:04
Get a few chaps wearing military outfits carrying guns in that & Chuck Norris would appear in black PJ's in seconds!

Either that or the A-Team would fire some crazy gas powered cannon at them, blowing up the jeep, yet killing no one...

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:07
Get a few chaps wearing military outfits carrying guns in that & Chuck Norris would appear in black PJ's in seconds!

Either that or the A-Team would fire some crazy gas powered cannon at them, blowing up the jeep, yet killing no one...
lol i don't know why i've got no pictures of the front but i fitted 4 dirty great Rallye giant spotlights on the bull-bar (2 up 2 down), 130watt bulbs in each & used to near enough cut out when you flashed someone lol.

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:09
it was an SJ410, an earlier version of the Samurai. I had the luzury verison because it had rear seats lol

Ahh, the 410. I believe that was a 1.0 as opposed to the 1.3 of the 413?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:17
lol i don't know why i've got no pictures of the front but i fitted 4 dirty great Rallye giant spotlights on the bull-bar (2 up 2 down), 130watt bulbs in each & used to near enough cut out when you flashed someone lol.

I think the lights would really upset Chuck, and result in an angry round house kick related death to all inside.

It may confuse Mr T tho. I think he looks pretty dumb. He'll crash into a pile of packing crates. Then blame Dwight Shultz for annoying him..

daveforber
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:18
Top speed: 68mph. Class!

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:21
Ahh, the 410. I believe that was a 1.0 as opposed to the 1.3 of the 413?
you are correct sir, & for ten points what did the "S" denote at the beginning?

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:22
you are correct sir, & for ten points what did the "S" denote at the beginning?

Spain?

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:22
I think the lights would really upset Chuck, and result in an angry round house kick related death to all inside.

It may confuse Mr T tho. I think he looks pretty dumb. He'll crash into a pile of packing crates. Then blame Dwight Shultz for annoying him..
not sure Mr T would fit in it, if he did i think it would struggle to move lol. We tried to use it to recover my mates boat from beach but it just sat there coughing & farting, his Series 1 landie didn't seem to mind tho :hail:

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:24
Top speed: 68mph. Class!
it was actually 92mph, if you didn't mind rebuilding the engine after the piston & conrod came thru the side of the block. The joys of having a big stereo turned up nice & loud, you can't hear it screaming its nuts off (literally lol)

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:29
Spain?
short wheel-base, they did a longer LJ410 which luckily i can't find any pictures of (it was quite rare thank god)

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:31
They're still gay.......and there's no excuse for owning one,............apart from bein' gay,of course.:hihi:

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:33
short wheel-base, they did a longer LJ410 which luckily i can't find any pictures of (it was quite rare thank god)

Ahhh, I thought it was because they were made in Spain.

A few years back I worked at a bakery and my boss had one. It was interesting to say the least and felt slightly 'loose' compared to the car I owned at the time; an Audi 200 Turbo.

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:38
They're still gay.......and there's no excuse for owning one,............apart from bein' gay,of course.:hihi:
RWD was a perfect excuse, & having no power you could preload up the revs & drop the clutch knowing full well it wouldn't (couldn't) wheelspin so beat quite alot of stuff off the line, they soon caught up after about 5mph tho lol

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:40
A few years back I worked at a bakery and my boss had one. It was interesting to say the least and felt slightly 'loose' compared to the car I owned at the time; an Audi 200 Turbo.
i think they wold loose compared to Postman Pats van lol. It used to slide lovely & get a nice high pitch squeak from the remould tyres lol

JelT5
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:41
it was an sj410, an earlier version of the samurai. I had the luzury verison because it had rear seats lol

gaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

;)

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:41
i think they wold loose compared to Postman Pats van lol. It used to slide lovely & get a nice high pitch squeak from the remould tyres lol

LOL! Sounds like Pat could do with the upgrade then, maybe the post would be delivered quicker. :)

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:43
gaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

;)
watch it "go-kart" boy :kiss: lol

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:44
LOL! Sounds like Pat could do with the upgrade then, maybe the post would be delivered quicker. :)
don't they need to not be on strike to deliver it quicker? lol

JelT5
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:45
Rob, the mbc is brilliant with a mapped car mate!

I'll be running the mbc permanently (most probably) along with the 304 map when I eventually get my car back. It was showing 1.4bar on the gauge which was a bit scary, so I'll back it off to a nice safe 1.3bar :biggrin:

JelT5
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:47
watch it "go-kart" boy :kiss: lol

Go Kart Boy- a new breed of super hero!!

PMSL mate

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:49
[QUOTE=JelT5;244066]gaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Ha ha!!!!!! :haha: PMSL,glad it isn't just me that is worrying about this thread's direction...........:uglyhamme:hilarious

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:50
Go Kart Boy- a new breed of super hero!!
an elite group of hero who can't be bothered to use there left foot, inless you want to really p*ss off the bloke behind by resting it on the brake pedal lol

http://xs841.xs.to/xs841/09305/offtopic650.jpg

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:50
don't they need to not be on strike to deliver it quicker? lol

Oh yeah, forgot about that. :) They're still working in Surrey.

Rob, the mbc is brilliant with a mapped car mate!

I'll be running the mbc permanently (most probably) along with the 304 map when I eventually get my car back. It was showing 1.4bar on the gauge which was a bit scary, so I'll back it off to a nice safe 1.3bar :biggrin:

Jeez, that's high. I was thinking 12-13 psi as a maximum, well maybe 14 psi. :biggrin:

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:51

Let it ride my friend. :)

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:53
[QUOTE=JelT5;244073]Rob, the mbc is brilliant with a mapped car mate!

In total agreement there matey,it's laugh a minute!:B_thumb:

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:55
Jeez, that's high. I was thinking 12-13 psi as a maximum, well maybe 14 psi. :biggrin:
any advance on 14, do i hear 15, 15 over in the corner. 16psi anybody, currently with the gentleman at the front at 15............................

p fandango
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:56
Oh yeah, forgot about that. :) They're still working in Surrey.
i don't mind them going on strike, you can't get any bills thru then lol

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 22:06
Ahhh, I thought it was because they were made in Spain.

By loose, do you mean shoddy or are you meaning that you felt a good mince coming on?

Filterlab
Friday 24th July 2009, 22:17
any advance on 14, do i hear 15, 15 over in the corner. 16psi anybody, currently with the gentleman at the front at 15............................

Nope, no advance on 14, but I'll start at 12 to be safe. :)

By loose, do you mean shoddy or are you meaning that you felt a good mince coming on?

No, loose as in wayward and wandering, rather than loose as in anal invitation. :)

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 22:23
:hidesbehi

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 22:24
Ahh, good. I didn't feel like mincing after the Vitara, so I hoped that's what you ment!

JelT5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 06:11
an elite group of hero who can't be bothered to use there left foot, inless you want to really p*ss off the bloke behind by resting it on the brake pedal lol

I would if I saw you in the rear view mirror (that sounds a bit dodgy...let me rephrase that lol)

;)

JelT5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 06:25

I know mate!

I left the mbc on after my last strip outing and noted the 1.4(+ish) bar on the motorway in Germany; lifted off WOT in case there were any internal injuries. Then pulled over and removed mbc. Scaredy cat that I am!! LOL

It was quite inspirational though and the car went "quite well" from 70 to 140mph :biggrin:

1.1 bar is the max I used to run it on before the map. Went to 1.2 at one point, which was when the CE light came on :) I'd have stayed with just using the mbc, but couldn't find a dyno prepared to put an auto on the rollers to sort the afrs; hence the remap.

JelT5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 06:26
No, loose as in wayward and wandering, rather than loose as in anal invitation. :)

PSML at this wayward and wandering thread!

p fandango
Sunday 26th July 2009, 09:06
I would if I saw you in the rear view mirror (that sounds a bit dodgy...let me rephrase that lol)
good job theirs no chance i'll be in your rear view mirror then, you've got to catch me first lol

p fandango
Sunday 26th July 2009, 09:08
I left the mbc on after my last strip outing and noted the 1.4(+ish) bar on the motorway in Germany; lifted off WOT in case there were any internal injuries. Then pulled over and removed mbc. Scaredy cat that I am!! LOL
i did the same thing coming from Santa Pod, got onto the motorway & noticed the induction was really roaring. I'd left my filter bypass pipe on lol

JelT5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 11:07
good job theirs no chance i'll be in your rear view mirror then, you've got to catch me first lol

Hahahaha...walked into that one didn't I?! Eyes wide shut as usual lol

leet5r
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 21:00
13psi is considered to be the safe limit for running a MBC on the standard ECU in fuelling terms. As your running a remap tho the fuelling will have been turned up but i still wouldn't go much higher due to the conrods, you'll still notice a BIG improvement. Now for the warning, due to the remap running a higher boost level the factory boost limit (15psi ish) will have been either raised or removed setting the MBC higher than this could result in bent conrods which is why i advice against it. Another reason i don't recommend the 2 is because personally i don't think the remap is needed, as the MBC has control of the boost all the remap will be doing is adjusting the timing/ignition.

Running the MBC inline with the factory BCS will still remove the factory limp home mode, inless you set the MBC lower than 6psi. This will should still give an advantage as the boost up until then will spool alot quicker

aslong as your car isn't ME7 there shouldn't be any problems running an MBC, the ECU is very adaptive & will compensate for any changes depending on readings from other sensors.

i ran an MBC for over 5years with the only issue being me setting the boost as close to the boost cut as possible, this wasn't really a problem just meant i had to throw it down a could of gears to keep load down as not to excessively spike the boost & hit the limit when i floor'd it. Even knowing how to drive it i still hit the limiter many times & the cars still going strong

i'm now using an Apexi AVC-R electric boost controller (still with the BCS removed) & gives me more control of the boost than even the ECU had. The boost curve can be adjusted per 500rpm. Boost raised/lowered per gear. User adjustable overboost button & much more
i also have a mbc but i dont know what the bcs is . the pulls like a train but wont rev past 5.5 . any help cheers

Filterlab
Tuesday 28th July 2009, 21:08
i also have a mbc but i dont know what the bcs is . the pulls like a train but wont rev past 5.5 . any help cheers

Boost Control Solenoid. It's an electronic device which controls the opening of the wastegate, it receives pressure information from the air intake and the manifold and sends it to the ECU which then returns signals to trigger the opening of the wastegate. An MBC bypasses the BCS completely, however it should remain plugged into the loom to prevent the ECU sensing a sensor fault.

5500rpm sounds good to me, the redline is at 6000rpm and there's nothing to be gained from revving the engine that hard, certainly if it has a standard turbo anyway.

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 02:16
Boost Control Solenoid. It's an electronic device which controls the opening of the wastegate, it receives pressure information from the air intake and the manifold and sends it to the ECU which then returns signals to trigger the opening of the wastegate. An MBC bypasses the BCS completely, however it should remain plugged into the loom to prevent the ECU sensing a sensor fault.
sorry mate its the other way round, the BCS (boost control solenoid) doesn't send anything to the ECU. It simply opens & closes as directed by the ECU to drain air/pressure from the actuator pipe to raise boost higher than the actuator level

BigV
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 07:12
I have an MBC set up inline with my BCS.......... I'm hitting about 14PSI WOT and over all I think it is a better drive than the remapped T5 I had previously. The power is there instantly and 0 to 60 is almost instant!

I'm not sure of the mechanical advantages of running the MBC inline with the BCS opposed to just removing the BCS completely? But in my opinion it seems to remove some of the aggressive power and bleed the boost in at a more workable level but it is still faster on pickup than any remap using the standard BCS alone.

The only downside to the MBC instead of a remap is you do run out of puff around 80+, the kick in the back of the seat isn't quite there....... due to fuelling I assume?

I intend to get a remap and run the MBC on mine at some point in the future...... gotta get her serviced first.

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 07:38
I have an MBC set up inline with my BCS.......... I'm hitting about 14PSI WOT and over all I think it is a better drive than the remapped T5 I had previously. The power is there instantly and 0 to 60 is almost instant!

Having run a mbc and remap I agree with you about the instant and aggressive throttle response with running the mbc only. I run both when I'm at the strip, by passing the BCS. What's the set up (pipe-wise etc) for running it inline with the BCS? It's something I want to try :)

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 08:00
What's the set up (pipe-wise etc) for running it inline with the BCS? It's something I want to try :)
simply cut the pipe from the BCS to the actuator mate & put the MBC there, be interested to hear what you think because tbh i don't think you will feel any performance difference. You might have to turn the MBC down a bit tho mate as the BCS will still be sending some air back to the intake pipe

JelT5
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 08:13
simply cut the pipe from the BCS to the actuator mate & put the MBC there, be interested to hear what you think because tbh i don't think you will feel any performance difference. You might have to turn the MBC down a bit tho mate as the BCS will still be sending some air back to the intake pipe

That's what I thought.
I've always been guilty of running my mbc at too high boost though mate :biggrin:

It'll be an interesting experiment. I'll let you know what happens- depends when I finally get my car back again!

Filterlab
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 11:19
sorry mate its the other way round, the BCS (boost control solenoid) doesn't send anything to the ECU. It simply opens & closes as directed by the ECU to drain air/pressure from the actuator pipe to raise boost higher than the actuator level

I stand corrected, the system is a little less clever than I thought. ;)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 11:30

And there's no presure sensor either so the ecu can only guess what pressure its at via the MAF and other sensors (or even from what the map tells it the pressure should be?).

p fandango
Wednesday 29th July 2009, 12:01
I stand corrected, the system is a little less clever than I thought. ;)
the joys of pre-ME7 mate lol

kevin 850t
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 06:27
If i'm over-boosting, is my car bunny hopping, sometimes the car drives great, i think i'm on the edge at 15psi (rod bending territory maybe?), it's most annoying over taking a lorry by bunny hopping past it!! , turn it down MBC?, cant afford 2 blow car up before i get a RICA job done, can't help turning the MBC up because it makes me smile, i'll cry if i break it before the mot runs out, thanks all.

p fandango
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 07:12
If i'm over-boosting, is my car bunny hopping, sometimes the car drives great, i think i'm on the edge at 15psi (rod bending territory maybe?), it's most annoying over taking a lorry by bunny hopping past it!! , turn it down MBC?, cant afford 2 blow car up before i get a RICA job done, can't help turning the MBC up because it makes me smile, i'll cry if i break it before the mot runs out, thanks all.
yeh thats exactly how mine used to behave, it was so close to the overboost limit an extra load on the engine would force it to cut in. Instead of turn it down i changed my driving style, for overtaking change down 2 gears to get the revs higher & the boost at a lower level

kevin 850t
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 16:12
yeh thats exactly how mine used to behave, it was so close to the overboost limit an extra load on the engine would force it to cut in. Instead of turn it down i changed my driving style, for overtaking change down 2 gears to get the revs higher & the boost at a lower level

i'm stuffed then, i have a crappy boring auto :0(

p fandango
Tuesday 4th August 2009, 16:35
i'm stuffed then, i have a crappy boring auto :0(
you shouldn't need to turn it down much mate to keep it happy, just give it a 1/4 turn down & see how it does. I'd be very surprised if you notice the difference. I won't take the p*ss out of you for the auto, thats what JelT5 is for lol

kevin 850t
Thursday 6th August 2009, 05:54
MBC turned down 2 far, boring, but i expect better mpg :0( wife pay the petrol, wife bought the car!!, i drive like a ££££e* when she and kids not in it, i care 4 other drivers, just want 2 b in front of them, haff 2 drive like an old man coz she hates me cornering / flooring it, this car i love 2 bits, fastest thing i've ever had, just want an R in manual (RED), one day i spose, i'm pissed at mo, sorry bout that, i don't drink drive, love driving, only thing i'm good at!!, anyhow, thanks for all your posts, i'm learning all the time.

God bless if you into him / or her i'm ****e* lol night all

fluffed should av said

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 17:57

I don't know if you are still on here, but is it still OK? :)

Rnash2002
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 18:31
I don't know if you are still on here, but is it still OK? :)
Im running a map and a mbc @ 1.1 bar
ok so ive got a k24 that doesnt come on boost as quick as a 15g/16t but think its should be ok with them as long as you dont load the engine up low down the rev range.
Im always aware of this and make sure im over say 3k rpm before i boot it unless im in 1st and 2nd gear.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 18:51
Im running map+mbc @1.3-1.4 bar :hidesbehi

claymore
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 19:02
Me too

WOODY T5
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 20:22
mapped with blitz boost con @ 1.2bar